Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone pulled a travel trailer with 3:07 gears?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by 72Blazerod, Sep 30, 2002.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

I have a 16ft travel trailer (about 2500 lbs) and I think the truck I am looking at has a 350, 4L60E and 3:07 gears. Can anyone tell me how these gears feel when pulling a trailer? I have 3:73's and a SM 465 in my 72 Blazer and it is pretty good pulling it but it tops out pretty easily on the highway.

Thanks,

Rod

2. 72Blazerod

/forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

3. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

I've got a 16 foot and a 94 1/2 ton with a 350, 460LE and 3.73's. It pulls pretty nice with the trailer, but I don't know if I'd want to go to 3.07s. I only tow mine in Drive, but a few times I forgot and put it in OD (3.73 x 0.7 = 2.61) and didn't notice it until I was headed up a hill and it down shifted (making me realize I needed to shift it into 3rd) so you may be OK, if not great.

4. 72Blazerod

The guy who owns the truck says he pulls a 16ft travel trailer and it is no rocket off the line but it is okay. Alittle slow up hills. /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

Rod

5. Chris_T

Chris_T 1/2 ton status

Make sure you check out the rear end as well. I towed from Edmonton down here to Missouri and the pinion bearing went on it. Nice whine in the drivetrain. Not terrible considering it has 220 000 km on it and I doubt the rear end has been opened up more than once, but worth checking

6. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I'd look for a different truck. The trailer package option not only came with 3.73 gears, but it also includes a larger tranny cooler, an engine oil cooler, and a higher output alternator. It just makes for an all around better tow rig.