Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone ran an ARB off of CO2?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Jul 24, 2003.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm about to purchase an arb for my front 60 and want to run it off of a co2 tank which i already have. Any thoughts?

2. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

If the reg is set to the correct pressure and there are no leaks in the system, yes. You could also get a cheep air tank from Wal-Mart, fill it w/ CO2 and run off that if your CO2 bottle has a fixed reg.

3. marv_springer

marv_springer 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I'm about to purchase an arb for my front 60 and want to run it off of a co2 tank which i already have. Any thoughts?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting.... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif Would prolly be better cuz it would be dryer than compressed air. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Marv

4. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I'm pretty sure this has been done before. Only problem is if you deplete your tank you have no way to lock up. But that is probaby an acceptable risk. Sure would save money over buying the ARB compressor.

5. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yeah i could accept that risk. I think it takes a lot to deplete a co2 tank...and if that happened, I guess I could always switch over to the 2nd one and lose my air up and air tools ability..... /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

6. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I plan on doing the same thing for a while until i build an OBA setup...
    If you look on powertanks website they have a pressure relief valve or something that you are supposed to put after the tank but before the air selenoid... thats incase the line pressure ever goes above 100psi it will blow off instead of blowing your arb seals...
    I believe its more like 80-85 psi that the ARB needs so i was planning on getting another fixed regulator in addition to the adjustable regulator because it would be very easy to bump that adjustable one and turn the pressure up or down.

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

7. Twiz

Twiz 1/2 ton status

I don't see any reasson why it wouldn't work. Other then there being too much pressure from the C02 tank. Sure wouldn't want to blow the locker clean through the bum-cover. /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    But a cheep little pressure regulator should take care of that. Maybe, plum the ARB line into a smaller, pressure regulated tank. That might provide a little extra pice of mind.

8. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

I just out a ARB in a Yota axle and set it up to run off of CO2. It works like a champ.
    I would guess that the bottle he's using (power tank) would engage the locker several hundred times

9. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

probably more like several thousand times. THe ARB pump aint eexactly putting out the high CFM's

10. yunit

yunit 1/2 ton status

I got a 20lb tank and regulator all ready to be put into the rig; hopefully this weekend.

11. Stephen

Stephen 1/2 ton status Moderator Vendor

I use CO2 as a backup to the ARB compressor. I have the fittings to pressurize the ARB tank from the CO2 tank in case the compressor craps and the electrics are good, and I'm looking into the fittings to hook the line from the locker directly to the CO2 tank so that I have an absolute way of locking up.
    I've also acquired (from Doug Wright) a couple of manual pnumatic switches that I'd like to play with. That way I eliminate electricity from the whole thing.