Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone relocated a gas filler on a chev w/duel tanks

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mudhound72, Jul 5, 2006.

1. mudhound72

mudhound72 1/2 ton status

Ok, I bought my latest tow rig and it has duel tanks (also my first with duel tanks) I was looking at it and WTF, how is a person subpose to be able to fill both tanks at once with out moving the truck. I had the thought of moving the one filler to the other side but will it fill right and what other issues have you come accross?

Also has any one installed a 40 gal berb tank in a truck, I have a tank and most of the stuff to do it, just wondering if it will work.

2. ARAMP1

ARAMP1 Aviator Extraordinaire

I've seen where someone installed a burb tank and ran the filler neck up to the wheelwell with the stock filler door on the wheel tub in the bed. It was a 2wd shortbox though and they got rid of the side tank. Let me see if I can find a pic.

3. ARAMP1

Found the pics...

001.jpg

002.jpg

4. prerunner1982

prerunner1982 1/2 ton status

I was working on a dual tank filler from one side. Until 5-8yrs ago, filling stations had nozzles that you could pull all the way to the other side. Cant find one like that around here anymore. The blazer/burb tank is a common mod. Here is a link to the process involved.. http://www.captkaoscustoms.com/blazertank.html
    If you wanted to keep dual tanks, you could run metal pipe over to the other side and make a filler access door in the bed floor.. that is what I had planned, not sure how well it would fill though.

5. mudhound72

That is a idea, but the prob is that there will be a slide in camper in the back

6. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was thinking of going with one of these auxilery fuel tanks someday, in my pick-up truck. It is a 50-gallon tank by Aero Tanks in Riverside California, which bolts into the bed of the truck, just behind the cab of the truck. They have brackets also so you can put an in-tank fuel pump into it for TBI as well.

[​IMG]

7. muddybuddy

muddybuddy 3/4 ton status

thats sweet! nothing like a 50gal reserve when you run out :)

8. 1-ton

1-ton 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I was actually thinking of running it as my main fuel tank, and dumping the saddle tanks. I do not really like the saddle tanks be cause of there vulnarability in accident or when wheeling.

9. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

I have been thinking about doing a big burb tank and leaving a saddle tank on the same side that I put the filler neck on for the rear tank. My 95 4x4 f-150 had dual tanks with filler necks on the same side. :doah: That way I would have about 40 gal. plus the saddle which I believe is around 16-18 right? I like the idea of having much more fuel capacity.

10. dremu

dremu Officious Thread Derailer Premium Member

Some pickups had the 31-ish gallon Blazer tank in the rear of the pickup bed -- hafta be a long-bed, obviously, and you'd lose the spare tire mount there. I quickie measured it and it looked like the 40ish Burb tank would go, sideways, if I moved a crossmember (like the Capt-Kaos link below.)

I have *heard* that back in the day there was a kit to fill both tanks from both sides, i.e. a crossover pipe from fill-pipe to fill-pipe. I've not seen anything on it myself, and emissions laws what they are these days, you prolly couldn't sell one now :(

I keep debating getting another fill or cutting one out, and welding it into the other side of the bed ... would just require some creative plumbing then, plus maybe some small drip/gravity issues.

The other option would be a transfer pump, which is silly and pricey unless you have one laying around.

When my tow rig gets 8MPG, believe you me I'll do a lot to extend the range .. since I can't improve the economy :deal:

-- A

11. dremu

Side tanks are 16 or 20 (shortbeds has the 16, longbeds USUALLY had the 20.)

-- A

12. ntsqd

ntsqd 1/2 ton status

On my old, dead HD I have a pic of a filler a guy made for an EB with 3 tanks. When you remove the cap there are 3 tubes to fill. Looked pretty cool. Was all carefully mitered and welded together. Looked like you were looking in the end of a header collector for a Geo Metro :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha:

13. dremu

LOL!

But how do you get three tanks into a bobtail? What, are they like five gallon tanks?

-- A

14. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

tie the tanks together.....

A friend of mine had a C30 ramp truck with dual taks..he got tired of having to move the truck to another pump to fill both tanks,so he used a length of copper tubing ,and "Tee" fittings,that fit inside the rubber filler neck hose(I think it was 1-3/4") to tee the two tanks together,so both could be filled from either side...he also did the same to his pickup crew cab dually tanks..he used stainless steel pipe he found at a scrapyard on that truck..

He told me if I ever did it to my truck,to make sure I ran a ground wire from the tubing to a good ground,to prevent static electricity build up--he didn't at first,but after getting a static shock one cold winter day as he removed the gas cap,he ran grounds to the pipe using a hose clamp--used an old braided battery ground cable..:crazy:

15. dremu

I keep thinking about this ... seems like for those of us with pickup beds, that the crossover tube would have to go down under the bed, and so would retain a certain amount of gas in the crossover.

Any reason that copper would be bad in the long term? Long as it's coupled via rubber hose, there's none of that dissimilar metal thing ... :thinking:

Didn't think of the grounding thing... good point. Doh :)

16. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

copper is ok..

Copper tubing that big is very costly,but wont rust or deteriorate like steel pipe will..he used copper because he got it free from a friend,and he liked the idea of soldering the "Tees" in,rather than a threaded pipe style coupling--but either way works..the stainless tubing he got for his crew cab was originally a handrail from an old city bus,for 10 bucks from a local junkyard!--even had the slight bends it needed to fit nearly perfectly ..:laugh:

As for the "crossover" pipe retaining any fuel,I'd guess any thats left in it after filling would quickly find its way to either tank after the first sharp corner you turned at speed!..if not,I doubt it would hurt anything,and wouldn't be much more than a quart or so..

And yeah,grounding the crossover pipe is important,since its "insulated" by rubber at both ends,and could build up a static charge..after my friend got static shocks a few times as he removed the gas cap,he decided he'd better ground it,so he wouldn't burn his truck and himself up!...:crazy:

17. mudhound72

How about posting up some pic of that, I did have the crazy idea of running both the factory tanks and also installing a 40 gal Berb tank that I have and I think that would be kind of a trick think to do.

I also like the idea of a cross over pipe. It gives me something to think of

18. ARAMP1

I've thought about doing the crossover thing, but a guy who did it talked me out of it. One of his complaints was that if he parked it on a hill, the gas would migrate to the lower tank. I don't see that as much of a problem though.

19. dremu

That's a feature! Who needs an electric transfer pump? Just use gravity! :haha:

-- A

20. K5er4Life

K5er4Life 1/2 ton status

Any ideas of what to do if I put a burb tank in the back of my crew cab and left the two saddles in there. As far as switching fuel tanks? I could run a crossover to one of the saddles and the back but I dont like the idea of the gas being able to move freely between the tanks. Many time when I go riding I park the back end of my truck in little natural valleys so its easier to run my bike up and down the truck. I could see the fuel moving to the rear tank and spilling out the filler neck. :doah: Does anyone know of a selector that allows me to chose between 3 tanks? I would just use a regular 3 position switch in the cab but dont know what to do about the tank selector.