Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone replaced the body/cab bushings... 84

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ben Malinski, Jun 2, 2002.

1. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

I ordered the kit from summit racing. Energy suspension. It'll be here in a few days. My question, what am I getting myself into? EZ replacement? Do I need a floor jack? Tranny jack? Where are they located? How many? I want to spray the nuts and bolts with oil for a few days to ease removal.
    Thanks for any tips!

2. 8_YOUR_H2

8_YOUR_H2 1/2 ton status

There are 10 mounting points. I did it by myself in a day. I didnt spray down the bolts but I used a 600 ft lb impact. The rear ones were the most difficult because they were rusted to the frame, I had to use a cold chisel and a sledgehammer to get them out. You will need a floorjack and I used a 2' long piece of 4X4 lumber. Just follow the directions and it shouldnt be too hard. Do a search here, many have done this (including myself) and some have documented the procedure.

3. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

Thanks for the info!

4. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

Patience, patience and then some more....... oh and rust buster! Basically it's fairly easy. Do one side at a time. On the bed end of the blazer my bolts we're tack welded to the floor so I had to grind them out. Also when you put the rear mounts in, there is a washer that goes between the the body and the bushing, it's a round hole in the washer and a square head/shoulder on the bolt so I used a dremel tool to cut the washer into a square. Took an hour of fooling around before I figgered that one out. On the frnt radiator bolts I took a bunch of stuff apart..... you don't need to. Just use a 2" extension. And they're all 3/4 bolt headss. By the way you'll need to contort your body a little.... my neighbor told me I looked like a 3 legged monkey fuggin' a football.

5. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

Re: Hey Jimmyjack

You mean the carpeting, seats, need to be removed when replacing the rear bushings? Front? What is the location of each bushing. Thanks!

6. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Ben...ya might wanna try crawlin' under there and takin' a look around if ya haven't. It's pretty easy to determine where the mounts are. Other than that go to <a target="_blank" href=http://www.lmctruck.com>www.lmctruck.com</a> and order a catalog. They have a nice picture of all the mounts and where they are. It's free and has a lot of good stuff in it.

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I would not recomend an impact to remove the old body bolts. A breaker bar and a cheater is prolly beter. Sometimes the caged nuts in the number 2 and 3 position will break and spin inside the boxed mount. Then you have to cut some sort of access hole to repair that.

For accessing the rear two sets of bolts you'll have to flip the seat forward and out of the way and remove the rear carpet (or fold it over the rear seat...) The heads of those 4 bolts are tack welded to the floor (as previously mentioned) and you'll need to grind the tack welds off. I went one step further and ground the entire head off those bolts and drove them through the old mounts.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Try a search for even more info, it's not a technically difficult project but it can be a lot of elbow grease and busted knuckles.

Rene

8. Ben Malinski

Ben Malinski Guest

Re: Hey Michael

I did put the truck on a lift and figured out where the bushings were but I just wanted to be sure I didn't miss any places or have one hiding someplace! Thanks for the info!