Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

has anyone seen a lifted quad steer ????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by boggerless, Apr 2, 2005.

1. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i was looking at one in the gas station this morning. could those cylinders move bigger tires?? i think it's a POS.even the fake stepside look.LOL soooooo anyway has anyone? :grin:

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

seen pictures of them.

3. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

I think quadra steer is awsome, it gives you a Dana 60 rear end in a half ton :laugh: And as far as off road i have seen em crab walk ot of ruts after getting stuck. I realy like the idea, too bad Gm is dropping it :(

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

I have seen them lifted. Im surprised I havent seen more.

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

they are dropping it? first i've heard of that. tho it doesnt suprise me. its a cool idea but doesnt seem like there are too many on the road. the bed looks a little goofy too.

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

IIRC, GM basically forced buyers who wanted the Quadrasteer into buying a fully-loaded (optioned) truck. The options package with Q-steer in it was like $5k; again, IIRC. I recall reading a review in Trailer Boats magazine of an '03 or '04 K1500HD with Q-steer; the truck's MSRP was nearly $45k. FOR A HALF-TON TRUCK!!

Just goes to show ya... GM engineers can come up with some cool stuff, but the dumbass MBA's can't market them to save their lives.

7. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

8. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Its a really good idea its just that for the same price you can have a 2500 HD with the Duramax/Allison...

Oh and its not meant to be a fake stepside "look"....

9. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh its a fake dually look haha.

10. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

yeah GM loves to do that nowadays. Come out with something great, but you can't get it unless you buy the SLEXPCSTV package.

11. Bhintz

Bhintz 1/2 ton status

first most of you guys are wrong they dropped the price to 1.5k and that rear axle is a d60 w/ 35 spline inners and outers beef, the fake step side is mandatory from the government b/c you cant have the tires sicking out the side the fenders like they would if they didnt and last tow w/ one and youll never want anything else

12. OffRoad

OffRoad 1/2 ton status

someone explain why 4 wheel steering is not sweet. :cool1:

charging a truck load of money for it isn't cool. :mad:

as far as the bed goes, most of your guys have no problem cutting up cherry k5 for truggys, so why would you have a prob cutting up a pick up bed? they have to do it cause the gov makes them. they don't have a choice. you do. so run right out and buy one and swap on a regular box or cut it up, or don't do anything. :blush:

13. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

There's no reason why you couldn't lift a truck with Q-steer. I don't know how big of tires it could turn, but I'm sure bigger than stock. There is a limit to how high you could go without lengthening the harnesses. The control module is frame mounted.

Also, the "fake dually" look is because the rear track width has been widened to accomodate the rear steering and the government requires the tires to be covered. The frame rails are so far apart on the newer trucks that putting the tires in any closer would make them hit the springs. Take a look at a normal (no Q-steer) and you will see that the springs are just inside the tires. If the same system was applied to a different platform, the track width might not have to be so wide.

I have a little design time into Q-steer.

14. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Can't you get away with 4" of tire sticking out from the body? I heard this from one of my friends along time ago and never checked it out.

15. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

No, state laws usually cover these things and I know in MN the tires have to be completely covered. I'm sure there are quite a few states like this and even if there aren't, I'm guessing there's a Federal DOT law about production vehicles.

16. K5MONSTERCHEV

Here ya go. I think its bad ass.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

"Now, this might seem like it would interfere with the operation of the rear wheel steering, right? Actually the only modifications that were necessary were to extend a single hose and a wiring harness;"

17. beastofablaze

beastofablaze 1/2 ton status

Drool....

I think in Cali its under 4 inches... even when it sticks out 6 you'll probably only hear its illegal once a year from a cop... at least in this town.

18. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

and i'm going to raise the BS flag on this one. the steering racks used only give a very small amount of steering travel on the rear axle. no way it would turn it enough to let it walk out of a rut.

19. chief77

chief77 Registered Member

GM, had bought a set amount of quad steer axles, and like someone said it was only on the "pricy" trucks, and then they decided to lower the cost of the mod, and then allowed it as an option, but still they could not re-coup their money so once the stock is gone so will be the quad steer........

chief :k5: :usaflag:

20. K5MONSTERCHEV

I agree, but not only that, the tires turn opposite eachother under low speeds, only at higher speeds (something like over 55mph) the tires turn the same direction.