Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone seen Dust to Glory yet??

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by grimjaw, Apr 28, 2005.

1. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Dust to Glory

I am thinking of going this weekend.

Part of the reveiw:

Documentary filmmaker Dana Brown trades the deep blue sea of his exquisite surfing film "Step Into Liquid" for the dusty desert vistas of "Dust to Glory," a chronicle of the world's most famous off-road race, the Baja 1000.

To capture the action of the Baja 1000 for 'Dust to Glory,' director Dana Brown utilized more than 50 mobile cameras, including some mounted on a small flotilla of helicopters.

A documentary starring Mike "Mouse" McCoy, J.N. Roberts, Mario Andretti. Directed by Dana Brown. Rated PG for racing action and peril, and some language. At Landmark's Midtown Art. 1 hour, 35 minutes.
    The verdict: There's more dust than glory, but if you're an off-road fan, get in the ticket line.

The legend, lore and sheer lunacy of the race, which has been run annually up Mexico's Baja peninsular since 1967, are well conveyed. There's special emphasis on certain individuals, such as Hollywood stuntman Mike "Mouse" McCoy, who intends to do the whole thing solo; or certain families, like 62-year-old J.N. Roberts, who won the first Baja 1000 and is back 30 years later to team with his son. There's an all-girl team made up of various wives, daughters and girlfriends. And somebody drives an unmodified pre-1982 Volkswagen Beetle (actually, there's a lot of somebodies; VW Bugs are a separate class, as are motorcycles, trophy trucks, dune buggies and other vehicles).

But no matter how much we're warned about the dreaded silt ("bottomless talcum powder") or hear about late-night hallucinations where the cacti are the only things to guide you, the movie can't muster the magnificence of "Liquid's" glorious blue crush.

Brown's flat-tone, gee-whiz narration — which suggests Kevin Costner's California brand of Americanism — is supplemented by some powerful visuals provided by more than 50 cameras mounted on anything that moves (or doesn't), including a small flotilla of helicopters. There's also some celebrity name dropping: the late Steve McQueen (archive footage) and James Garner are briefly glimpsed, but a good-natured Mario Andretti gets into the spirit of things by roaring off in a big red truck . . . which breaks down 20 miles later, leaving the racing champ to be driven back by a tickled-pink elderly couple.

2. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

havent seen it yet, but im itching to go

3. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Being a Independant film it may be hard to find. I think I will treat my self this weekend.

4. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

5. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

oops, didnt see you linked to the trailer too. owell :dunno:

6. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

No kidding. I want to see it in the theater, but I can't find it...

7. grimjaw

grimjaw 1/2 ton status

Well the POS Indy theater only showed it for ONE week here. So it looks like I will have to buy the DVD in a few months.

8. Jonny-K5

Jonny-K5 1/2 ton status

that sucks, i saw it last night. only have to drive 4 miles. coulda seen it in 10 other theaters in a 10 mile raduis.

what did i think of it? AWESOME! coulda had more truck coverage, but i really got into it. wanna go to the next baja now. :D :D :D