Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone succesfully built a home-made body lift?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by deek, May 23, 2003.

1. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

a few friends of mine belive they can fab one up for just a few bucks. has anyone done it, & if so how hard was it. details would be great! Please /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif
    It's for my 73' blaze /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. deek

deek 1/2 ton status

Me again. I was just going to let you all know that it's got the auto with the colum shift, if that makes a difference please let me know.
    /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

3. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> Let me guess, they're going to use hockey pucks, right? /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif Body lifts are dirt cheap, why would you risk using a home made one? Once you figure out all of the hardware that you need and make all of the associated parts like bumper relocation brackets, fuel filler extension tube and all that stuff, you'll probably only save a few bucks. </font>

4. ankarback

ankarback 1/2 ton status

I have a homemade 3" bodylift on my -76 blazer. It´s made by the former owner so I don´t know how hard it was to make it. It´s made by urethaneblocks app. 4"x2"x3".
    It works fine except for the linkage to the transfercase that´s a bit too short.

/Johan

5. outlaw612

outlaw612 1/2 ton status

Im with Shaggy, for the price its not worth the risk or hassle of making one.

6. Slayer-K5

Slayer-K5 Registered Member

I made my 1" body lift out of 3" round stock nylon we had
    laying around at work and no problems yet. The only cost to
    me was the bolts and a few hours of my time on the lathe at
    work /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif. My /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif already had a floor shifter so i didnt have to mess with any linkages.So i would say it can be done alot cheaper than buying one if you have the resources.

7. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Try solid chrome moly round tube, it works /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Silver84k5

Silver84k5 1/2 ton status

i seen one at the junkyard that was made out of pressure treated 4x4 lumber... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

I'm about to chunk my 3" body lift. It'll still be a couple of weeks, but I'll have my pucks if you want them...$20. I'll bet cash that the bolts are rusted up, but if you just want the 3" crap sticks, send me a PM&gt;

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Maybe I'm off here.... but hearing that people have body lifts made of urethane and nylon scares me. I just don't associate these two items with being something durable enough to hold up to the weight of a K5 body and all pressure it'll have to stand up too...

11. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

have seen lumber used here too

12. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

I saw somebody make a suspension lift with blocks made out of 2 2x4's bolted together. But he couldnt go fast over bumps or the blocks would split in half. They were already splitting. But then again, his truck was about 20 different colors. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

13. Dandwg

Dandwg 1/2 ton status

I say just spend the money and buy a kit,less than $100 from Performance accesories. I wanted to make my own homebuilt one too,friends talked me out of it and I am glad they did. As for bumper relocation brackets, I was told by a offroad shop near me (not saying name,but on my windshield,lol) that they dont exist for my 83 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif so I jsut welded my front bumper on the top off the frame to make it even with the bottom of the grill /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I figure that will work fine since there is no winch on it.[​IMG]

14. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Maybe I'm off here.... but hearing that people have body lifts made of urethane and nylon scares me. I just don't associate these two items with being something durable enough to hold up to the weight of a K5 body and all pressure it'll have to stand up too...

[/ QUOTE ]

Um, most body mount systens now are polyurethane...why wouldn't it hold up. Actually most body lift kits 2" and up use poly blocks as spacers. They are advertised to have a 50,000lb crush strength. I was thinking about using hockey pucks for a body lift but have heard they are prone to splitting. I decided to forgo the body lift and just get 35" tires instead of 33" and just trim the fenders if I need to, that way none of my linkages need altered nor does my bumpers. And I can still have my tailgate springs.

15. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    I say just spend the money and buy a kit,less than $100 from Performance accesories. I wanted to make my own homebuilt one too,friends talked me out of it and I am glad they did. As for bumper relocation brackets, I was told by a offroad shop near me (not saying name,but on my windshield,lol) that they dont exist for my 83 /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif so I jsut welded my front bumper on the top off the frame to make it even with the bottom of the grill /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif I figure that will work fine since there is no winch on it.[​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="green"> Finally someone posts a truck with some pussy next to it. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif </font>

16. 81sb

81sb Registered Member

dont know why you couldnt do it if you had some round aluminum stock sitting around. All my 2" kit had was the blocks, bolts and the 2" tranny link externder. If you had the round stock you could just machine all your pieces and get the bolts. Depends on how much time you want to put into it.

17. bigjbear

bigjbear 1 ton status Staff Member Moderator

ORD's 1" is about the only body lift for our trucks that isn't made of plastic. I haven't seen 2" + one in years that wasn't-for anything.

18. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

I've got a set of 2" Aluminum pucks that are homemade (by a machinist friend)....and if I ever get off my butt and get back in the workshop I could install them! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif