Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone swaped 2.8 for a 4.3

Discussion in '1983-2005 S-Series models' started by rebelrockin, Dec 27, 2002.

1. rebelrockin

rebelrockin 1/2 ton status

I am trying to find anyone that has swapped a 2.8 for a 4.3 engine?
    My Daughter has a 85 S10 that just blew on her. ( Boyfriend hot rodding it), I really don't want to drop a 2.8 back into it, I don't feel she need's a 350 either. I have access to a 1995 4.3 asto van that has been totaled with 43k on it with all the parts I want or need. Just would like to know. Who else may have swapped this size also.
    The cussing has already started, I am sure there will be alot more before it is all over. She paid for the thing, removed all the ding's and helped paint it. I would like to get her a bit more horse power. After I kick a boyfriend's Butt! /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

2. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

I have one of those stupid little 2.8's as well. I thought about putting a 4.3 in it but it would take about as much work as putting a 350 in it...but you already have the parts for the 4.3 so at least it would be cheeper.

You would need to replace the tranny as well as the motor and a new radiator. The wiring will be fun because of going from carb to CPI(?). You will also need to put a fuel pump in the tank.

If you are interested in other options you can get a 3.4L form GM that will bolt up to the tranny that is in the truck now and it would come with a warrantee. I think the motor GM sells gets the block from about a 95 v6 camero.

3. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

Doesnt Advanced Adapters have conversion kits for these type of swaps?

4. ANTH

ANTH Newbie

I also want to swap a 2.8 with a 4.3, but I have an 87 with TBI. Will the wiring still be a problem since it is a TBI and not a carb. Will the motor mounts and the rest swap or will I need to do some coversion.

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

your gonna need the mounts from the 4.3 in a s-blazer/pu. The tranny is also different. If you rweally want to do it, I would find a wrecked/old s-series to use. I have a 91 s-10 blazer I bought for 500.00. runs great, body rusty. My wife is driving it for the winter.

6. Triaged

Triaged 1/2 ton status

You will have to cut off the motor mounts off the frame and weld on the 4.3L mounts. Then you will have to get a new tranny. The wireing shouldn't be too bad. With all that work why put in a 4.3? I would either do a 3.4 (less work and cheeper) or a V8 (same work and more HP).

7. toolmaker83

toolmaker83 Newbie

I hot rodded my 2.8 87 jimmy,spent a few bucks doin to. I'd never do it again. I had a gm 2.8 replacement engine with 60,000km I put a crane compugrind cam, lifters and springs in. I also machined the head for larger intake vales and the bowl area cleaned up for better flow. Then I put a set of edlebrock headers on , I modified the air cleaner for more flow. The end result was marginal, In hind sight I should have either bought another jimmy with a 4.3 or did the 350 swap.

8. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

The Astrovan stuff should go in without too much trouble. The fuel pump/sending-unit may even swap right into the S10 tank.

The firewall and frame changed slightly mid-88 to better accomodate the 4.3L. Therefore the firewall may need some massaging near the steering column for exhaust clearance. As may the passenger side frame rail.

Say goodbye to the '85 harness, and stuff the whole '95 harness in there to at least getting it running in the truck. Then work at backsplicing all your lights, guages, and whatever else back into it.

Make sure you have a good engine hoist, and expect to be taking it in & out many times /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I haven't done the exact swap you're talking about (2.8L to 4.3L) but I worked on a V8 swap and a Vortec/AWD swap

9. rebelrockin

Thanks U2Slow. I will make a note of all of this, and prepair ourselve's for a few grueling hour's into the this task. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

10. rebelrockin

Well much to my dismay, there appears to be a hole a bit smaller than a soft ball but bigger than a baseball. In the motor now you can look right inside the motor. I don't even think they will let me call it a core at this point. Scrap is what it is called. /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

11. rebelrockin

This is a new task for me also. To be honest I am to the point now of just letting her sell it with out a motor and find her a full size pickup so she can haul her motor cross bike. The boy friend walk's a big circle around my butt right now, but of course he won't help her out what so ever.Pansy Ass Punk that he is. Sorry Quite Frustrated! /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif

12. rebelrockin

I looked at a 4.3 due to a friend that has a totaled van with one. Another member mentioned a 3.4. So I was in at the U Pullit the other day and stopped by a couple of place to price the engine out both of them wanted close to 1300.00 plus the core for one. That was a used motor, and to be honest with hole on the side of this engine that is blown now they won't take it. Maybe for amusement purpose they would. I am trying to keep a smile on my face.

13. rebelrockin

Thanks For the info on the 3.4. I stopped at a couple of places yesterday and the day before. 3 places are asking close to 1300.00 for the 3.4 with a core. They can't call this blown engine a core. My Daughter is to the point of just selling the Blazer as she sit's and buying a full size Pickup. She worked hard on it and it look's good but she just doesn't want to put the bucks out like we will have too. She liked the small engine, my Big Blazer she tend's to put her foot into it. Smaller engine is just fine for my Wild Child! Do they make Govenor's for rig's get my drift.

14. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

I don't think you can use a 3.4L from a front-wheel drive application (car, minivan, etc). The starter mounts to the wrong side, and the bosses on the block won't accept the S10 engine mounts.

You would have to find a 3.1L or 3.4L from a RWD, such as a Camaro/Firebird.

This is the 3.4L that is often referred to in the context of S10 trucks:
    https://www.spoperformanceparts.com/store/catalog/Product.jhtml?PRODID=1100&CATID=173

You could also sell off the Astro van stuff to help finance the 3.4L. Toyota 4x4 guys are often interested. Even some Suzuki and Jeep guys /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

15. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

A good V8 might satisfy her boyfriend more for racing. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. rebelrockin

The Boy friend has a 72 Nova. The Blazer just didn't need to be taken the kid's local hang out service station and do burn out's in the parking lot, when he was only to be taking it to fuel it up for her while she was working.
    This project will be set aside. Looking for a full size chevy pickup, we just don't need a great deal of horse power under the hood. Golf cart would make me happy

17. Ck1500

Ck1500 1/2 ton status

the golf cart has 2 very good points of interest, 1 the boyfriend probably wont be doing burnouts in it and 2 there is no backseat in it, thus less chance of you becomming a grandpa /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif jk

Ck1500
    /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

18. conoverbandit

conoverbandit 1/2 ton status

I too have a 2.8 that started knocking loudly the other day, and I have been researching the same thing. I had a guy tell me it would be easier to put my body on a chassis that was already set up 4.3/tranny and all then it would be to try and get said 4.3 to go into my blazer.He said that I'd have to change the tranny,t-case and all, that they were way different then 2.8, that said I've gone to Advance Auto and bought a reman. engine.

19. T-ROY

T-ROY 1/2 ton status

I was just reading your post and its replies with some amusement (sorry), and I got tothinking that I have a book from a company called JTR (Jags That Run). You should be able to track it down online or at a book store. It details the conversion of an S-10 to a V-8. They take the approach of taking a 305/700r4 from a mid 80's Camaro/Firebird and do a very nice bolt in install. There is very little B.S. and it looks not only very cool, but very practicle. We just bought my wife an 84 Blazer and after she drives it for a year or so, I am going to try to do the conversion. BTW, is your daughter's rig 2 or 4wd?
    /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif