Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone towwed with a welded 14FF.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 84Sierra, May 2, 2002.

1. 84Sierra

84Sierra Registered Member

Before I go and weld my 14FF up I want to know if anyone tows with thier's and how it does. I've got 16' enclosed trailer. Will welding up my rear cause any problems towing this thing?

2. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

I have towed my boat with mine a few times (it's about 3,500 lbs) and didn't have any problems. My 2wd truck is my normal tow rig, it has a welded 12-bolt in it and it also does fine.

3. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

i welded my 14ff, i used to have a 12 bolt lockright. i like the welded 14ff, the lockright sometimes surprized me, kinda scarey if you are towing. i have not towed with the 14ff but i am sure it'll be better thatn the 12bolt

ARQ>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I flat towed an 82 Blazer from Austin Texas to Vancouver B.C. (2500 miles) with my 81 Jimmy and a welded 14 bolt. It was a non-issue...

Rene

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Hmm...C30....hardly any traction ever....welding? Hmm.....

6. Diesel Dan

Diesel Dan 1/2 ton status

I welded a 14bolt FF for one of my mud trucks. A buddy bought it from me and installed it in his road truck. They pulled mid sized trailers and hauled scrap steel in the bed. After about a year or so he smoked the pinion bearings(poor maintenance). Upon disassembly they found a axle shaft with a noticeable twist in the splines, not there when I had it. It would have just been a matter of time before that shaft failed. Even a 1.5" shaft can only take so much twisting before breaking. My advice for a tow rig would be, don't weld.