Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone tried this?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 4x4_76, Nov 17, 2001.

1. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I was wondering that how would it work if I use K10's cab as a enclosure for subwoofers.Basicly I just cut hole to the back wall,let's say for 12" sub,and make somekind of frame that would be bolted to wall and sub to the frame.Magnet would be inside the cab.Outside,to protect subwoofer from water,dust,mud etc.,there would be plastic sheet loose enough so it won't limit movement of diaphragm.And couple of hundred watts of amplifier power.
    Is this possible?

I'm too lazy to stick shift,that's why I prefer autotranny.

2. DesertDueler

DesertDueler 1/2 ton status

That would not work. The reason being is that the sub would hit into the bag and push the bag out not push the sound back into the cab. Also the cab is too big of an enclosure for it to hit.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

3. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Actually,that has been done.It was in Fiat Ritmo,where the trunk floor were cut trough and the sub was bolted in place.There was used rubber foam or similar to protect the sub.
    I was just wondering that if someone had done this to pick-up.Rubber foam would not work on my application because I'm gonna use my truck off-road,and rubber foam will let moisture go trough.
    Oh well,maybe I should get a Chevy's cab from the junkyard,and try different subs there to find out which one works best.I guess such element that is ment to use in infinite baffle might work.

4. Greg72

Greg72 "Might As Well..." Staff Member Super Moderator

What you are describing sounds like you are building an "infinite baffle" enclosure.

The theory would work....you have a divided space with a VERY large outide enclosure (all the air on the planet![​IMG]) and a smaller enclosure that the speaker plays into (the cabin)....that's a completely "legal" way to do it.....it's called a "1st-Order Enclosure"

There are a couple of problems though......first, the speaker will be exposed to the weather and if you try to cover it somehow, you are creating an "enclosure" and that's a whole different box design. The second problem is that since you are firing the sub directly at the bed of the truck, there will probably be a lot of unwanted vibrations from the sheetmetal back there.....and don't forget the third thing, you are blasting bass notes into open air, so whenever you are driving EVERYONE else is going to hear your music (at least the bass notes!).....and that will sound quite strange. Also, with the windows rolled down you will be able to hear both the front wave of the speaker, and the rear wave.....I have no idea how that will sound, but I'm guessing it will be unusual-sounding.

I am not trying to discourage you, but perhaps there's a way to build a compact, conventional subwoofer box that can be fit behind the seats.....?

-Greg72

'72 K5 Blazer - 427BB/TH350/NP205/6" Lift/35x12.50's
    <font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

5. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

I'm not discouraged,it's just my nature that I design and think all these exotic system:).Usually I end up something that everyone else has.
    I was thinking this same thing about a year ago or so,and by then I realized that bed will be a problem.I just forgot it now.
    When the windows are rolled down,subwoofer might not work at all.Or if windows are openned just enough,it may act like vented enclosure.After all,you are basically sitting in a huge enclosure:)
    Maybe I should just build a closed enclosure...maybe on doors:) There might be enough room for some 10 incher that works on small box.Hmm,there's a idea,I have to check that out.There's my brothers Suburbans doors in a garage,I can take measurements from there...

6. Greg72

4x4_76,

You know when I did my system in my K5, I was AMAZED at how much mounting depth there was in the lower doors....something like 6.5" directly below the vent window area. No problems with window mechanisms there, and if you REALLY worked at it you might be able to squeeze an 8" sub in there. You could either try to seal up that section of the door by building an enclosure, or just Dynamat the whole thing, and put lots of little felt pads, and rubber hoses over all the rods and actuators that would RATTLE like crazy....!

There is always a way......it just depends how much WORK you are willing to do to get what you want. [​IMG]

-Greg72

<font color=blue>See it here: </font color=blue><a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/albun38</a>

7. DesertDueler

You could also use free air subs. THey dont need an enclosure to hit. Just keep the power down to them because they blow alot easier.

86Jimmy 4"&35"MTRs,87 burb 4"&35"MT,69Firebird w/525 hp,and 70GTO live in PHX,AZ<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/modifierperformance>My vehicles</a>

8. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Greg72,

I'm not afraid to do lots of work to achieve something great,like good soundsystem.Only thing that might slow things is that if the vehicle isn't right for me.For example my present sound system is freezed because I hate that damn car,and what I'm trying to desperately sell.Also I had good K1500,but that wasn't good base for what I really want.So,now I've end up with eighties solid axle GM trucks.I like the looks of them,drivetrain,they're easy to work on and parts are cheap and easily available.
    So,yesterday I found a door that's left from parts truck that I bought years ago.I took it to my garage,and I cut off the lower part of the door.I found out that there's lots of room for enclosure.There is brace in front of the door that needs modification,also the air vent that is in a door needs to relocated.Electric window motor is a small problem if so equipped.Otherwise,10" sub fits fine.I was thinking to make the part of the enclosure,that goes inside the door, from fiberglass.Outer part could be plywood or MDF.Maybe the opening needs strengtening frame made of angle-iron.
    I was afraid that the door hinges might not take the extra load of sub and enclosure,but if sub is in front of the door,close the hinges,I think it works ok.

DesertDueler,

free air and infinite baffle are same thing.I was also thinking to try aperiodoc membrane (here it's called dampened free air),but it's hard to adjust and it would not work if windows are rolled open.

9. DesertDueler

Okay I didnt know that was the samething. Anyways the subs in the doors is a great idea.

10. Greg72

4x4_76,

Well you sound very fearless with your ideas! [​IMG]

The only thing I would suggest (and something I should have paid more attention to on my own stereo) is to try to use some kind of ABS plastic in place of MDF anywhere you can.....like the doors. MDF can be sealed to prevent moisture from soaking in, but plastic is a much better material for a "wet" environment, and it's not THAT much harder to work with.

When I finally get around to painting my truck, I will pull all the stereo equipment OUT, and probably re-build parts of the existing MDF structures with an ABS plastic of some kind.

Be sure to post photos as you do those "door subwoofers"...I'm sure that will really amaze a lot of people to see it!!! [​IMG]

-Greg72

11. 4x4_76

4x4_76 1/2 ton status

Greg72,

I've been thinking about those subboxes,and they probably don't have straight wall anywere(well,staight enough to use wood),so I think that I make them completely from fiberglass.ABS is here very expensive compared to MDF,so I won't use it.And if I can design everything properly,I could avoid using wood at all.Although amps need sealed and vented box so they don't get wet if I get my rig submerged,but hopefully it wont sink too much,because then audio system is last thing to worry about.Anyway,there I could use plywood that is intended to use in wet enviroment.
    I have web-site under construction,so there will be lots of photos of my project.When ever there is something new,I let you guys know about it.But it takes couple of months before I have anything to show.