Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone tried Velvet-Ride Shackles?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blazer79, Sep 13, 2000.

1. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

I've seen these advertised for a while and they sound like they could soften the rough ride of my 79 somewhat, but I've never seen anybody talk about them in this forum. Are they worth the $169? How about a shackle flip using these shackles?

If you wanna find out what I'm talking about: http://www.drivetrain.com/velvetride.html

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

2. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

I have never seen these in person, either, but I am also curious about them. My understanding is that they are intended only for the rear, in a tension operation. I think that is the reason that they are not available for the front. This would also mean that they are not compatible with a shackle-flip. With stock rear springs, you probably wouldn't gain too much, though. They are really intended for the back ends of 3/4 and 1-ton trucks to make them ride better when they are unloaded.

If someone has tried these, please let us know

'85 JIMMY
    '90 paint/grill/trim 5"susp 33/12.5/16.5
    Fresh 350 B&M '87 TH700

3. bigdaddy89

bigdaddy89 1/2 ton status

AZBLAZER has these on the back of his rig. I watched these on the trail and they actually let the spring move further towards the front of the vehicle. Basically they were opening to let this happen. He told me they helped with the ride also. I think they are a good idea to gain a little extra droop in the rear if you don't want to do the shackle flip at this time.

4. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

As stated by bigdaddy89 i have velvet ride shackles on the rear of my 79 K5. They have been on my truck for about 3 years now and make a considerable difference while out running the hard stuff as Dave can attest to...nothing like someone standing there watching you crawl over something and hearing them exclaim that your rearend moves around farther than theirs...lol. They are a little pricey but they do soak up more of the lumps and bumps on washboard roads ( 10th street in New River Az.) and net you more travel in the rear. They will not work on rear shackle reversal set-ups though...

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

5. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Doug:

First of all, let me tell you your Blazer is one of my favorites all the Blazers I've seen here. It's so cool, especially the color. Now with the questions, How much lift do you have? What brand/type? For how long have they been installed? Is that rubber holding well or is it deteriorated in some way?

Thanks.

<font color=blue>//////
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

6. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

1) 4"'s
    2) Front springs are rough country's...soft rides....approx 3 years old....l/f sags about 1/2"...most likely due to the warn M1000 winch. Up front i also have welded in the frame repair plate....ORD's sway bar dissconnect, shackles (greasable), gear box stiffner. The rear set-up has been a constant pain...first i used 4" blocks....net results...butt sag....relpaced them after a couple of years...(last year some time) with Stupid Lift soft ride 4" springs...lesson #1....springs come with stickers that say (Front)....if installed this way rear tires rub on fenderlip...lesson #2...K5's with all the extra weight in the rear require 6" springs to achieve an even all around 4" lift...lesson's learned...so i think i will order ORD's shackle flip (2.5") and go with that to eliminate the damn 2" blocks i have in there to level her out. And last but not least...the velvet rides went in while i was employed at Inland Kenworth..got the smokin deal through there parts dept...$100 plus some tax. No rubber problems to date....which is around 2 years ago.

Thanx for the kind words also!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

7. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all that info. Maybe you'd be willing to sell them when you decide on the ORD shackle flip?

<font color=blue>//////
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]