Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone used Rhoads lifters?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by POWERMAD, Feb 24, 2004.

1. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

They claim to give less lift and duration at lower RPM's.
    If that is the case then they look to be a good match for a cam I have been thinking about.
    Comp Cams 4x4 218/226 duration at .050"

2. Beast388

Beast388 1/2 ton status

I had a set in my old 350. I was asked quite often if I had solid lifters......tick, tick, tick, tick ,tick tick, tick....you get the picture. /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

I never had a set of regular lifters on that cam so it was hard to tell if it made a difference. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif BTW, the cam was a Comp 270H. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

3. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

I put them into my 402 BB that was in my 71 SS Camaro........they DID add low end grunt, not that it needed it but it was obvious. The only downside is the sound, they do sound like a solid cam lifter. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Judd

Judd 1/2 ton status

I used a set in a 351C that had a Comp Cams 280. When I first built it, I used regular lifters. I did not have enough vacuum for the power brakes.

I installed the Rhoads and they did what I wanted them to do. I don't remember if they helped out low end or not as I was not that worried about low end on that motor. It has to help out on the larger cams though. They did make noise. I believe that Crane makes some variable lifter that don't have the noise.

I remember a magazine did a test of the Crane vs Rhoads and the Cranes were not as noisy but did not give as much vacumm increase, the Rhoads had better low end and improved the idle {go on memory here on the Crane vs Rhoads thing}.

5. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I was looking at the Crane ones as well.
    I went to Rhoads web site and they have a new lifter and cam combo. I have to call them tomorrow to see what the price is on it.
    They call it a Hydra-Solid cam, with adustable lope and no ticking.
    It specs at 293/306 advertised duration and 218/227 at .050"
    with a lift of .440"/.460", RPM range is idle to 7000.
    Aparently it idles just like a stock grind but if you want a little lope to it then you set the lash a bit tighter on the exhaust.
    Currently only availible for SBC's. Bless their hearts.
    I think my cam search is over, hopefuly I don't have a stroke when I call for price and availibility tomorrow. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

6. SUBFAN

SUBFAN 1/2 ton status

A Pontiac sight I ferequent uses them regularly with no problems.

Many of the guys install them into their 455 motors, looking to make the torque curve even more fatter. /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

I have not read a bad revue there on the rhoads Lifters....

7. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

After calling and talking with them for awhile I am going to get it. $239, $10 S&H(from Arizona) and they have them in stock.
    The lifters designed for this cam give 10deg less duration than their regular ones and restores to full duration and lift at 2500 RPM's.
    After explaining what my rig is and what I am doing with it he said I would not be dissapointed with this cam.
    I asked about dyno tests and at this time they have not done any. It is still relitively new only availible through Rhoads, but will soon be availible to all major distibutors.
    I can't wait to stab that sucker in and see if it makes that old pig get up and move. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. PaleRider

PaleRider Registered Member

What`s you`re impression?

I`m "pushed" in the direction of trying a Rhodes cam-lifter set by a friend who`s an eneginebuilder, so I`m trying to find some first-hand info on this Rhodes-set.
    How is your impression Powermad? Both grunt and rpm-power? Smallblock V-tech? I`m riding a fullsize with a 2.73 rear, so my SB350 shure needs the bottom-grunt :confused:

9. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

interested as well. Dad needs to do something with a 353 for his Firebird. This setup could be just the ticket. Its already a big gas solid camed car, but he may have wiped a few cam lobes out, I have to tear it down this weekend.

10. PaleRider

PaleRider Registered Member

Well, let`s hope he really did buy the Rhoads-kit and sees this thread ;)

11. Bigg R

Bigg R Registered Member

If you have to use a variable lifter to make up for low end response or change your torque curve, you might just be runnin' the wrong camshaft for your needs!

12. POWERMAD

POWERMAD 1/2 ton status

I have been sitting on this cam for over a year and have not gotton a chance to use it yet.

But as soon as my pistons arrive I can get the block to the machine shop and get it bored and balanced.
    Then I have to haulass and get it speced out and assembled.

I am certain I will be pleased with the results when it is all said and done.

.060 over 350 4 bolt main
    Speed Pro coated flat top pistons 2 valve reliefs
    Rhoads cam
    Ebrock RPM Q-jet manifold
    787 casting heads (will work untill I get the W/P heads)
    I won't have the final ratio untill I start to assemble it but rough estimates put it at around 9.17:1

Hopefuly by the end of the month I will have that installed in my 69.