Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone used the tornado air cleaner things

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by pplblazerdude, Jun 6, 2003.

1. pplblazerdude

pplblazerdude 1/2 ton status

I was wondering if any has had experince wuth them cause i need fuel economy but i love the k5 so i eat the cost of gas. I was wonder does it help and if it does how much and how.

Thanks,
    clint

2. MTBLAZER89

MTBLAZER89 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My buddy used one on his Jetta and got worse MPG. I think they are a waste of money. Just my .02 get a good exhaust and a K&N keep your motor tuned up. It will never get great mileage it's a V-8.

3. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

did i hear "marketing scam"? yes... they're crap... i work for a ford dealer... a lot of trucks came in right after those things came out... bucking, running lean, etc,, nothing but problems... wouldnt put one on my truck...wouldnt reccomend you do it either..good tuned motor, decent flowing intake and exhaust is your best bet

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Like the others said...."waste of money." /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

5. BlazerWheels

BlazerWheels 1/2 ton status

Boy they can sure sell anything, can't they.

6. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

It spins and that is all it does. I got one for cheap way back when people started asking about them to test it out. I still have it installed. It may suck, but it's staying, I'm getting my moneys worth dang it... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]
    Boy they can sure sell anything, can't they.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a sucker born every minute!!! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

<font color="green"> I actually saw a test of one of those things on a Mustang 4.6. They dynoed it before and after and it made LESS HP and torque with the thingy on it. </font>

9. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

Sweet! You mean I can pay money to have my HP decreased! That is so cool. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

10. chevyracing

chevyracing 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Sweet! You mean I can pay money to have my HP decreased! That is so cool. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I was thinking, anyone have their 1-900 number?

John

11. Shaggy

Shaggy 3/4 ton status

12. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

The whole idea to make more power is to straighten out the air flow.
    Not swirl it all up.
    Velocity stacks, straight runner intakes and K&amp;N filters, all smooth and even out the air flow. These are proven performance mods.
    I cant see how those Tornados even work on later model cars. Late model FId cars need a straight smooth airflow past the MAF sensor to get proper readings. Thats why GM has those honeycomed screens in the TBs. They are called "Air stream straightners" They give the MAF sensor nice clean air to read.
    Seems to me Adding one of those Tornados will only hurt performance.
    But hey they sell gas line magnets and little pills you put down the oil fill hole that instantly rebuild your engine. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif
    P.T. Barnum said " There's a sucker born every minute"
    But he said that a long time ago. I think there is more now.

13. Ditchdigger

Ditchdigger Registered Member

DON'T, that is a bunch of CRAPOLA!

14. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

What????
    What did I say that is a bunch of crapola????????

Are you saying GM, K&amp;N, Aftermarket manifold manufactures ect, dont know what they are doing ?????
    Do you have info that says adding turbulance to the air flow makes better power and improves economy? If you do I I would sure like to see it.

15. Ditchdigger

Ditchdigger Registered Member

DON'T, I believe Those Tornado things don't do anything.
    as many engines I've worked on I would see more bad than good in them. I think you misunderstood me Thunder, I was posting to original question.

16. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Sorry DD /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif I thought because you responded to to my post you were talking about me LOL.

As for getting better milage:
    Do a through tune up. Plugs wires cap rotor fuel filter. Check all vacume lines for breaks or holes.
    with the TBI you can set the base timing a few degrees over 0 without problems and get a little better performance. Do not excede 4 degrees BTDC or it may ping or throw codes.
    Get a free flowing exhaust. if you dont have smog tests loose the cat and plumb single 3" pipe with a good muffler all the way back. Headers wont help much with gas milage and are a needles expense if gas milage is your goal.

Check out this stuff:http://www.turbocity.com/TBIPowerMain.htm
    Get the air flow enhancer it works its worth the 40 bucks.
    The TBI spacer may also help because it builds torque
    A better coil like the MSD blaster helps MSD makes a direct plug in coil for TBI trucks.. Then You can open up the plug gap some. I run my plugs at .050" But it best to experment to find out what works best for your rig.
    Use synthetic lubes in engine and drive train.
    Check air inflation in your tires. The more pressure you can run without wear problems the better milage you will get.
    The best mods for fuel milage are ones that build low end torque. the less you have to press the gas pedal to move your truck. The less gas you will use

I run all the mods I have listed on my TBI 350 and get 18 mpg at 75mph on the freeway I have got as high as 20 but I Cant Drive 55 mph
    I get 15 mpg average around town if i can keep my foot out of it.

17. RootBreaker

RootBreaker 3/4 ton status Premium Member

i thought about getting one of them.. but then watching the info mercial i realized the guy said... " creates a vortec " well duhhh... my 1996 gmc jimmy has a 4.3 vortec motor... so i think that my intake already does this!!!!!! and most add ons like that are junk..... glad i didnt get one after all....

18. SCOTTS_4X

SCOTTS_4X 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    What????
    What did I say that is a bunch of crapola????????

Are you saying GM, K&amp;N, Aftermarket manifold manufactures ect, dont know what they are doing ?????
    Do you have info that says adding turbulance to the air flow makes better power and improves economy? If you do I I would sure like to see it.

[/ QUOTE ]

actually, I know a few wngine builders that will port an intake manifold and heads, but not fully polish becuase if you leave a little bit of a rough surface it helps with fuel atomization and thus increases power, miileage, etc. just thought I would throw that in there.

-Scott