Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Has anyone used this 208 Slip-yoke eliminator?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Blue85, Dec 10, 2002.

1. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Everyone talks about "they will have one", but these guys seems to actually have a product:

store with add in the back of Petersen's

It seems pretty simplistic. I'm not sure what is in place to hold the output shaft steady, but this is probably still more solid than the slip yoke, since the slop in the splines is pretty much minimized. If only we could get another bearing around the piece they sell right at the output of the T-case. Really, somebody needs to make a new tailpiece for the 208 to do this.

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

It looks like it's the real thing and it will not make the tail shorter like the 231 kit, but that is not necessary with the blazer.
    And if you look at their profile, these products are from Driveline solutions, as far as I know a respectable drivline company.

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I have spent quite a bit of time conversing with this guy about the SYE setup. Basically they have taken a slip yoke and modified it with the bolt up surface. You then drill a hole in the center of the output shaft (for the securing bolt), slide the new yoke into place on the splines, and bolt it one solid. Then the CV driveshaft flange bolts to the "fixed" yoke.

You are not applying anymore stress to any part of the tranny than any CV kit would. And there are numerous CV kits out there for slip yokes.

I plan to go with this setup in the next month or two when I get my 14BFF installed. One of my big reasons for using this setup is the possibility of a driveline parking brake. I think I can take one of the 205 driveline parking brakes out there and modify the bracket to fit the 208 with this yoke.

4. juanblzer

juanblzer 1/2 ton status

I've dealt with this company. IMHO they suck. I don't want to step on any toes but my experience with them was terrible. My driveshaft broke twice! Once it broke at the "bolt on eliminator" yoke, and then it broke at the "H" part of the cv. They still use friction type welding... which is basically outdated for drivshafts. Furthermore, to do friction welding correctly you must have some very expensive equipment. Stick with highangledrivlines. thats my two cents /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Suppposedly Dodge NP208's come with a fixed rear rather than a slip yoke. ANd I blieve Jesse was very close to having a kit done for the 208(if memory serves me correctly)

Hows that 14SF?

6. Blue85

I have considered making a fixed output by using Dodge parts, but I haven't been able find a Dodge 208 for less than $300 to try it. Somebody on here has done it and has pictures, but I can't remember his name. He said the only problem was the threaded holes for the long rod that bolts to the bellhousing and to the side of the 208. Dodge doesn't have that, so he had some welded onto the side. It must be that you have to swap not only the tailhousing, but also use the whole back half of the Dodge case.

As for high angle, I have gotten a couple responses back from Jess, but I am still not sure whether or not he has anything. Until he will quote us a price and a ship date, he doesn't have a product ready. Here's what I got:

"I'd say the slip yoke eliminator is better on the 241- but we now have a nice unit for the 208 slip yoke version making the need to swap less- Jess"

And then:

"i do not offer the 208 short shaft kit- sorry- Jess"

I don't know if he was referring to a real SYE or just the full-spline slip yoke that he has. I'll let everyone know if he ever gets back to me on that. He seems to be a busy guy.

7. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

that was me , i have some dodge parts for sale if you are so inclined to have an SYE /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

8. Blue85

Tell me more...
    You have everything needed for the T-case conversion? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

9. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

i think i have everything needed tp put together anotther one , but as the othe guy said it needs some stuff welded on and some machining done ,then you need to tell me what kind of yoke you want on it .