Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

has fire but no fuel

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by rick88blaze, Jul 3, 2005.

1. rick88blaze

rick88blaze 1/2 ton status

I've got an '88 K5 350 TBI. I'm getting spark but no fuel. In May I changed out the ignition module. I parked the K5 last week and it was running fine. I went to move it yesterday and it won't start. I changed the fuel pump relay and pickup coil today hoping that was it but it still won't start. is there anything else I can check before diving into the gas tank to change the pump out? :1zhelp: :1zhelp:

Rick

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Fuel filter. Its on the inside of the frame rail on the passenger side.
    -Harrison

3. rick88blaze

oh yeah, I forgot to add in that I checked that. The fuel filter is almost new.

Rick

4. spearchucker

spearchucker 1/2 ton status

I wouldn't go through the trouble of dropping the tank to replace the pump unless you know it's bad. Do you hear it priming the system when you turn the key to accessory? Or you can see if it's drawing current for a few seconds when in the accessory position. You can check for current either at the fuel pump relay or by the plug connector at the fuel tank.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

run a wire from the positive post of the batt, to the pigtail connector on the fuel pump relay. That provides power to the pump, see if its running. If it is, and isnt making a weird noise, then its probably good. That test bypasses the relay I believe, so it could be the fuel pump relay, the ign module, engine temperature sensor located in the manifold.

6. blazenwhip

blazenwhip 1/2 ton status

It may be the fuel presure regulator on the TBI. Everything that you have checked I had too. A Dodge guy told me to replace the presure regulator and it worked. Autozone sells a rebuild kit for that. It's an easy fix but for how small the part is seemed like 30 bucks was a lot for the kit.

7. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

My post in the garage about troubleshooting has links to the GM manual pages for crank no run.

If your oil pressure switch is working, even with a bad fuel pump relay the truck would have still started. :(

8. rick88blaze

I changed the coolant temp. sensor and still no luck. I bypassed the pump relay and the pump sounds fine, no weird noises or anything. Just a smooth humming noise. I'll check into the fuel pressure regulator kit, but that won't be until next weekend. I'll give you an update then. Thanks for all the help.

Rick

9. rick88blaze

I just talked to a friend of mine and he said he's got 2 TBI's at his garage. We're just going to swap out the whole thing this weekend and see if that works. If it does, I'll just rebuild mine (hopefully with some better than stock parts) and keep it for a spare. Hopefully swapping them out does the trick. :D

Rick

10. rick88blaze

OK, got it figured out. I had a loose wire on the MAP sensor and off of the alternator. I got everything fixed and it runs great now. Thanks for the advice and help guys. :D :D

Rick

11. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Glad to hear everything worked out Rick!

12. rick88blaze

Jeff,

Yeah, now I just need to change the tranny out again. Hopefully that will get done this weekend though. Do me a favor and make sure you don't send anyone to Red's Transmission there in Vegas. :deal:

Rick