Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hassles of giving away stuff on Craigs List

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by newyorkin, May 1, 2007.

1. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I gave away a chevy engine saturday through Craigslist.

The guy showed up with a truck that leaked oil like a civ on my new driveway.
    His truck was a flatbed loaded with junk.
    He had some bizarre technique to load it that left me basically holding up the engine for about 20 minutes to keep it from rolling off a ramp that it wouldn't slide up. He didn't want to listen to me about where to hook on to it to pull it up with a come-along, so he hooked it on the top and the top kept trying to rollover cause the oil pan wouldn't slide. I'd already lifted the engine onto a dolly by hand the night before, so I was a tiny bit sore...

I gave a away a trailer once before and the guy showed up with about 20 kids to help him. I didn't do a thing, even though I was willing to.

I gave away some tents, which was painless except for the 50 bazillion emails between the receiver and I all day.

So I'm thinking back a little annoyed at this ordeal. If I were going to show up for something like that, I'd get help and not expect the "giver" to have to do anything, basically cause I'm getting it for nothing. And if I saw the driveway was brand new and my truck puked oil, I'd say so before parking on it. I guess it's not really a big deal, though.

2. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

If that were my brand new driveway I would have told him to get that POS off my driveway. Roll the engine down to your flatbed and pick up some workers at HOME DEPOT to help you. I am not doing S**T.

I bought a dana 60 and 14 bolt FF from a guy and when he showed up he hardly wanted to help me but I told him that I can't do this by myself and I am paying for it so give me a hand if you want to sell them. He did but for a while I thought he wanted me to turn green (INCREDIBLE HULK) and do it by myself.

When it's free I take my people with me and I always take a 12 pack of something to say thanks.

3. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Yeah if he was paying for it, I'd sort of understand better if he expected me to help. Even when I pay for something like that and go pick it up, I hammer out the details of loading ahead of pickup so I'm not standing there expecting him to help me when he has no intention of doing so.

Part of my ad said whoever picks it up must be able to load it as I don't have a hoist or anything available.

I didn't know his truck leaked until he left.

4. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Yeah I posted a bunch of stuff on there yesterday since Im graduating, 2 fullsize beds, dresser, and 2 computer desks... Jesus I think I overloaded the schools email server with the amount of emails. I never thought used mattresses from college students would be a hot item... Go figure..

5. blazindorito

blazindorito 1/2 ton status

Mattresses from college students. You kdding they are pretty valuable with PUBES and all.

6. kgillyk5

kgillyk5 1/2 ton status

Maybe "Quell" is doing some product experiments...I think I found your craigslist mattress pic.
    [​IMG]:D

7. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

8. surpip

surpip 1 ton status

mine was better

9. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Wow, if it got that bad I would have called off the deal, heck probably at strike 3. The guy didn't even pay you for the $15 you probably blew in gas.

10. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Not trying to brag, just saying that I feel your pain.

11. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I know, but your pain is worse...