Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hate message baby crib toy

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by uglychevyZZ4, Jan 15, 2003.

1. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Was watching the news last nite and a faminly here in Seattle heard thier new baby crib toy giving a sick message. it has a flowing water sound, and in the background like every 40 seconds it CLEARLY says " I HATE YOU " /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/mad.gif
    HOW SICK.. it resembles this kinda toy, so if you have one, listen for a while. its the water fishy kinda toy. we have one but ours isnt a bad one.
    [​IMG]

2. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

I saw that on tv last night. The thing that i liked about the whole situation was that the parents did not sue. I understand it was a bad toy but they informed the store about it. They didn't even want a refund, they kept it as a novalty item. Thats how it should be done, none of that suing over hot coffee bit.

3. uglychevyZZ4

I'd sue! for the sheer fact that those are tested and tried, and thats neglegence. It wasnt a one time thing, the others are that way too. Id sue and give the $$$ to charity. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I'd sue and keep the money. Kid would have every damn toy out there, and I'd have one badass K5. </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    Id sue and give the $$$ to charity.

[/ QUOTE ]

5. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

Those things are probably gonna fly off the shelves now, as novelty items.

I'd sue. Not even for money, just to shut the company down and make the sob that implemented that homeless.

That's some sick subliminal psychological damage being created there, money can't fix that!!!

6. uglychevyZZ4

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    That's some sick subliminal psychological damage being created there, money can't fix that!!!

[/ QUOTE ] Halalua brother, amen /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif thats my point, its a damn Baby /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif that is sick...

7. chosen(1)

chosen(1) 1/2 ton status

I agree there is something wrong with someone that would do that, but, to a baby those are just words. A baby doesn't know what they mean. That would be like me swearing at you in Gaelic, if you don't know what it means you aren't going to be hurt.

As far as suing, why is it that anytime someone feels slighted, they see $$$$$$$ and think they need to sue over it? Why is a family that bought a toy that says "I hate you" entitled to more that the $9.99, or whatever they paid for it? -----end of rant.

Tom

8. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I understand your point, but I would disagree because I can see the toy being used up to 2 years old or so. My son is 2 and he could understand words when he was 1. Even if he doesn't know what it means at that age, if he's conditioned that "I hate you" is a soft, warm, sleepy term, it sets a precedent that devalues the term, makes it more commonplace and easier to throw around randomly.

As far as lawsuits, I certainly think it's an abused facet of our legal system, but in a way, it may have kept abuse like this minimal. I would personally sue not for financial gain, heck I wouldn't even care if I got my 9.99 back, my point would be to hurt the company and demonstrate how unacceptable this is. I wouldn't sue for money, I'd sue for court mandated changes in the company, like resignations of executives, or ownership of the company so I can let these people go myself... I think sue-happy america was out of control in the early 90's, but the law has gotten smarter. Go try to sue someone frivolously, it's harder than you think.

9. uglychevyZZ4

the toy dosent say it in a warm sleepy tone, its mean and snyd sounding, i still think they should be out of business. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

10. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

It was probably some bored kid who worked for the shipping department who messed it over. Like that time they got the Ken dolls dressed like Barbie. Turned out to be some backroom worker who thought it'd be funny. You'd be surprised how funny certain things seem at the time. Especially when you are young. I think it's totally wrong to have messed with a babies toy. But I highly doubt the kid was hurt, so no need for cash to exchange hands...

11. MEPR

MEPR 1/2 ton status

yeah i think that alot of things are messed whith like that just not cought. I would probly rip the company a new A-hole but would sue.

12. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

Here is my take on this.I dont think this company should be shut down.Obviously this is a single person working at the factory that has a twisted mind, maybe even a few accomplesses.And even though they tested the toy who is to say they heard it during testing.Im sure the parents didnt here it after the first try or the toy wouldnt have left the store.The moron that did this should be punished not the entire company.I cant actually think of a reason to sue unles there is a way for someone to prove that the toy did damage to the child.If not there are no grounds that i can think of that they would be able to sue.

13. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

How can you prove psychological damage? Cripes, look at our members! And we all think we're normal!

Maybe I'm thinking a little harshly, but I think it's because I have kids that I don't want to develope an unappreciative view of the world. It angers me like nothing else to think someone would offer my kid a joint one day and try to make them beleive it'll be nothing but good times from there out. This is along the same lines to me. Any bastidge that had anything to do with this toy issue needs to be removed and placed far from where they can influence a child, because they obviously have no idea the potential. Making toys is not a serious thing that I think requires a degree (or does it?), but they should treat the toys like they would expect the kids babysitter to act.

Some would also say, "Well the parents need to be better police of thier own children." But you see something like this and it's like, "WTF, I can't even buy them what I thought was a simple toy without previewing it for a minute or longer anymore."
    I'm very big on principle, and that's much of my midset here. If we get into the specifics of the issue, then are you yourself (not you potato, just "you" like whoever would argue that point) de-sensitized to the term "I hate you"?? If the voice said "bite me", it would be less meaningful than "I hate you". I hate you, wtf?????
    For "damages", I agree, there's no reason money needs to change hands. For punitive (puni-sh), I certainly think action needs to be taken on some level. Maybe it was funny then, but obviously this is a person that doesn't need to be working in a toy factory. How about if the parents never notice it and the kid grows up thinking his parents deep inside hate him because they gave him a toy that said I hate you every 40 seconds... Well, ok, that's a little unrealistic too I guess, but theoretically could happen.

ok, it's 4 am here my servers are moving data, and I'm having trouble typing right... g'night y'all.

14. uglychevyZZ4

/forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif well put. </font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    but they should treat the toys like they would expect the kids babysitter to act.

[/ QUOTE ] i think anything that goes INSIDE the crib, should have the same regulations as medicine!

15. potato76

potato76 1/2 ton status

Oh of course the toy could psycologically damage a child but what i meant by that is they wouldnt be able to sue without proof that it did damage which is hard because the child is probrably under 3.But otherwise i do agree.

16. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Obviously this is a single person working at the factory that has a twisted mind, maybe even a few accomplesses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe it was a customer. I am guilty writing "You suck" on the Magnadoodles at Wal-Mart a time or two...

17. Donna

Donna 1/2 ton status

Very well said Ratch. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Some one should pay. And not neccessarily with money.

18. uglychevyZZ4

I am guilty writing "You suck" on the Magnadoodles at Wal-Mart a time or two...

[/ QUOTE ] YOU wrote that? /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif /forums/images/graemlins/angryfire.gif i think you should seek counseling Steph! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif