Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

hate Search right now, welded front good /bad?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by darkshadow, Aug 10, 2004.

1. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

is it really that bad on a dd if i am in 2wd?

2. TruckNutzDude

TruckNutzDude 1/2 ton status

I've seen it done on D60's before turning 44's with a 6.5 turbo diesel and the welds held. Of course three stub shafts broke durring the first time out /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Turning is also greatly affected. You will lose a lot of turning radius, if you have any left at all. The difficulty of turning off road will increase (pressure at the wheel is much greater) You'll also notice your drivetrain will bind up quite a bit while you're turning. If you plan on driving straight all the time then weld-er up!!! If not, buy a locker, it's worth it just to be able to steer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

on the road it may be harsh turning.

4. fwdjunky

fwdjunky 1/2 ton status

I have recent personal experience with this. I have a welded 44 in the front of my truck. Off road works ok, but is very hard to steer. I ended up hopping in and out of the truck constantly to unlock a hub to get around corners. Its not impossible to steer, but tough, really tough. I was running 35 inch at's and drove very conservatively and had no problems with breakage at all. Just a side note, I bent the rear driveshaft in my truck on my last outting, drove it 60 miles home one wheel drive (only right front hub locked in, rear drive shaft removed) and that was the scariest 2 hours I ever spent in the seat of a truck. /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif