Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hate to do it..."what's my truck worth" post...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by heavy4x4, Nov 10, 2004.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Hate to do it...\"what\'s my truck worth\" post...

Hey all, I've been toying with the idea of selling my truck to get something a little newer/more practical for now. Before you try to talk me out of it, let me tell you this hasn't been an easy decision. I'm not positive I'll do it at this point, but pretty sure of it. I'm emotionally attached to my truck...something about all the hours and sweat (and $) I've put into it that makes it hard to let go. I actually never thought I'd be making this post.

Anyway, I haven't driven my truck in a while (it's sitting at home while I'm at school), I'll be working a co-op this next spring so I'll need a vehicle, and my truck is not only impractical, it's impossible to keep in Madison. I'm thinking I'll buy a '97-98 Chevy 1500 4x4 pickup.

Okay, so now that you've made it through that sob story...how much is my truck worth?

The basics:
    1990 Chevy Suburban 1500 Silverado 4x4
    168,000 miles
    7' Western Plow
    350 TBI engine (original)
    700R4 tranny (original)
    NP241 t-case (original)
    Privacy Glass
    Steps
    Spoiler /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
    Roof rack
    AC (redone with R-134A last year)
    Cruise Control that doesn't work so well

The add-ons (that will be included with the truck):
    4" Rough Country lift (all springs - no blocks)
    33" BFG AT's (60-70% tread)
    15" black steel rims
    14 bolt FF rear, open w/ 3.73's
    D44 front, open w/ 3.73's - everything from carrier out replaced last year
    Tachometer
    Tranny temp gauge
    Tranny cooler
    TBI spacer
    K&N filter
    Custom dual exhaust
    EXTRA SET of rust-free barn doors

The bad:
    Slight rust-through on rear fenders/rockers
    Paint peeling on roof
    Rear tailpan could use replacing
    Everything on under-body pretty much rust-coated (thank you road salt)
    No major floor-pan rust-through that I can tell
    10 mpg

Overall:
    Still a lot of shiny paint
    Virtually no dents
    Runs great...no issues with starting/driving
    Near MINT interior

I've kept every receipt for my truck. Adding everything I've spent on my truck comes to almost $6000 (obviously not all of that is on the truck right now...some of that is special tools, and things I won't be including).

OKAY, now....throw out a price please!!!
    Thanks.

(P.S. Don't think that I'll be getting out of the wheeling world...once I'm out of college and have money and a place to work on stuff, I'm going to get a rust free truck and do a quality off-road build-up for sure!)

2. big pappa b

big pappa b 3/4 ton status

Re: Hate to do it...\"what\'s my truck worth\" post...

I'm sure you wont be happy with what you can get out of it. The truck you said you might buy won't get much better mileage thenwhat you have now. For sure not enough to justify selling yours at a loss and buying someone elses problem. GO to the Kelly Blue book site and look to see what a bank will loan on it. Rough guess with plow and all $6k...just a guess though

3. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

maybe i can't read... but did u think about NOT doing it? /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif
    No, seriously, my daughter is doing school in mad-town, and i know what u mean about having wheels down there. It just don't always match the dorm/apartment/city/college life style down there.
    She's been there about 2 years now, and when she left, she left the payment book, plate renewal and insurance with dear ol Dad! /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif Great 4 her! sucks for me!
    but we both survived! She uses the bus for around town and Mom now drives the car, it's available when she's home, and rides up here to no-where are surprisingly easy for her to find, and if not, it's just a quick hundred miles to shuttle her back.

Any chance of just doing something similar rather than loose this beast? Sounds like you've got a fair amount of sweat equity in it, that no blue-book sufficiently adds for!

I know! i tried to sell my 91 once! It didn't happen, and now she proudly sits in semi-retirement for those proper occassions when i taker her out to STRUT! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif or maybe wheel a bit.. or tow our hotel on wheels!

4. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

I hear what you guys are saying. I'm still not sure I'm going to sell it. I do know that I'll need another vehicle other than my truck pretty soon. I bought a Dodge Spirit this past summer for pretty cheap, but that thing burns more oil than gas. It's been alright so far, but I'll be driving it a lot and need something reliable.

Maybe I'll keep the suburban so there's a plow vehicle back at my house (that way my Dad won't have to put a plow on his '97 suburban) and just buy a late 90's 4x4 S10.

The reason to sell my truck is kind of two-fold. One, I'd have enough money to buy a newer truck. And two, I really hate rust and the fact that it's starting to take over my truck. My plan was to buy a rust-free suburban when I get money and a place to work on a vehicle anyway, so I figured selling it now would be a feasible option.

Hmmmmmmm, decisions. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

200 views and no one else can suggest an asking price? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

6. K5Chris

K5Chris 1/2 ton status

i dunno what its worth..... but, i'd go with 95 over the 97-98 anyday.

7. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

running the basic math @ edmunds shows it around $2700-ish, but that never takes our 4x4 GOODIES into account.... nor the luv we have for our trucks! OR your plow (probably another $1K or so, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif depending on condition (and demand))
    Kelly said about $4850... included 'snow package', not plow... so, I'd guess you could ask $6000.... settle around 5-ish /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif maybe less depending on how bad the iron-moths have settled in..

Seldom do ya make money when sellin 'em! /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

So now you're at 212 views, and 2 prices suggested.. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

(keep in mind, i didn't say I liked the numbers either, as mine is pretty similar to yours and i couldn't part with my /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif for that!! even if it's only a hundred miles from yours!)

8. nofeartruckin00

nofeartruckin00 1/2 ton status

Welcome to my world /forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gif

I've been fighting with myself over selling Jimmy for who knows how long. I HATE the idea of not being able to wheel for a few years, but I also just plain out don't have the time to wrench (or wheel) on the truck like I used to. I've finally decided that selling is the right thing to do for me (I think.....) Plus being on the fire deparment, i kinda have to get where i'm going in a hurry.

Anyways, I'd list your burb at $6500 and let it run. Autotrader is a great option. $35 for 12 weeks plus they come take a picture of it. You have a plow, and the snow is on its way. The people who bought little econocars over the summer here in wisconsin should realize they won't do great in the snow, and should be truck hunting pretty soon. That's what i'm doing with jimmy, and I've had easily 15-20 calls in the first 2 weeks it ran. The sunday paper is expensive, so probably not a great option. Hope this babble helped some, and if not, sorry /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif