Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Hate to say it but think I need to sell the 79.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Grim-Reaper, Feb 10, 2001.

1. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Well as many of you know I just had a little one arive. While I was thrilled that she came home in my wifes 79 Blazer we have come to the realazation that it doesn't make a good vehicle for transporting kids that can't self load. We need a 4 door.
    My problem is this...I got way more in this truck than I can sell it for. Right now if the right person who understood tha value of the mechanical condition of this truck were to offer me $4500 I would let it go as is. Right now the only thing it needs as far as mechinicals go is the drive shafts resplined ($300 at the place up the road).And cosmetic work to make it pretty again.
    Here is the stats.
    79 Blazer. New battery, New tires (BFG A/T's), New engine (10-15k on crate engine), Rebuilt TH350 with serious shift kit, NP203 with part time kit, 10 bolt front and 12 bolt rear with 3.73 gears and a LS diff (doesn't look like a Gov all through it had one when it came off the line I think it went and was replaced...looks like old style Auburn, Working A/C, Cruise, Power windows/locks and spartire carrier that holds 1 Jerry can. This truck is right with the mechanicals. EVERYTHING HAS BEEN GONE THROUGH in the last 3 years. I would not think twice about changing the oil and taking a 4,000 mile trip in this truck once the shafts got resplined.
    Here is what is wrong. Needs new rockers, Some body work to fix trail rash, Paint, Tailgate latches fixed, new window felts, new top gasket and interrior cleaned up with new door pannels and dash cover. There is no structural problems with rust just the typical bad rockers made worse by a poor atempt to repair that just hid the problem before I got the truck. Like I said the trucks only fault is cosmetic and unfortunatly on the open market thats what most people shop for is looks. I have an easy $8k in this truck.
    If I can't sell it for $4500 I'm going to have to do some swapping around and put a tired motor into it swap out the axles with 3.08 and I might swap out the Tcase to a worn unit and put some cheezy tires on it and keep the good parts and let it go for about 2.5K. I have all the parts to do it just short on time to spend a couple weekends swapping parts.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

2. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I got a 79 in similar mechanical condition, 'cept for the AC needs an evaporator, and it has Armstrong windows...cosmetically, it sounds like mine is in better shape...40K motor, 10K tranny...needs only tires to make the same 4000 mile trip.....had a guy look at it today for $1000....I got receipts from since I bought it in 81...I feel your pain...I shoulda put a can of elbow grease in it and sprayed it with some eyewash, and asked for $2200 or so....I just need the room in my shop so I can do the engine swap on my 89...I know I'm gonna hate myself in the mornin'....sorta hopin' he don't want it and I can come to my senses.....JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

3. mudfanatic

mudfanatic 1/2 ton status

Grim, hold out! it'll be less than 18 months when that little one will be mobile on her own and wanting to CLIMB! let her ride up front until then.
    18 months of a little extra work or let a fine blazer get purchased by somebody who may not appreciate what he's got.
    Dan

<font color=red>get involved with land issues or lose the land</font color=red>

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Hey Grim, I'm kinda in the same boat, I've got a almost 7 year old and we just had another girl in Dec. 99. I gave up my ride for the first one and my wife gave up hers for the second one. It sucked both times. At least with the second one I got to keep the Jimmy even though the varmint loading is near impossible.
    We ended up with an 88 Cherokee 4 dr. I never appreciated 4 doors so much until the first time I got to load the little one. I do think you should keep the 79 though. It sounds like your gonna take it in the a$$ if you sell it, why not find a reasonably priced sedan or wagon? Keep the 79 and while its not being driven you can take care of some of the cosmetics and when your done the kid will be able to jump in herself (after a boost of course) My wife still insists that lack of sleep led to the decision to sell her Mustang GT that she'd had and babied since the showroom. Now some 19 year old kid has got it and is racing it at the local strip [​IMG]
    Can you just see somebody who is not especially bright having your 79? I shudder at the thought and it isn't even my truck!
    Just my 2 cents, its hard enough to get some of these trucks back to right, I just hate to see that get wasted.

Rene

[​IMG]

5. SuperUnknown

SuperUnknown 1/2 ton status

May I suggest a Suberban. They have many of the same parts, and four doors. It would be like having a blazer limmo.

Aluminum running boards, rock sliders, same thing.

6. EDdaTREE

EDdaTREE 1/2 ton status

You got the skills Grimmy...just snag a 300 dollar 4 door that has a head gasket problem and keep all yer toys. I've come close to dumping my Blazer off when things got tight, thank God I never did!! I know I'd see some young spoiled little punk beating the crap out of it later.

"I'm not stuck...I'm just being as ONE with nature"

7. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Another option..........put a bench seat in, then you can put four of you in............tight, but can be done. Have done it in a 3/4 ton pickup a few years ago. Not the best idea, but it is a compromise. You're right, cosmetics USUALLY sell the truck, rarely you find a motorhead that understands the commitment and time you have put into making your rig new.

We have a Safari AWD van that is the ultimate to haul kids around, and knowing exactly what you mean about a pain in the a$$ it is to load a Blazer with four kids (especially one with a car seat), it was our compromise. Used to laugh at minivans..............then reality hit. All kidding aside, that van is also excellent in the sand down at the beach. Plus nothing beats all wheel drive. Nothing.

<font color=orange>'79 - 406 TPI -<font color=orange> K5#5 - <font color=blue>See it at---&gt;<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com>http://www.blazzinor.coloradok5.com</A>

8. Grim-Reaper

Wish it were that simple that I could just park it a few years but it's not. We have 4 vehicles. One is a restoration project (70 Lemans Convert) we have a 89 Supra that gets me to work the 79 with trails rash that we have been using as our family ride. The 75 Is a real trail basher and in the rain and mud I was more worried about getting a strap muddy and me wet than I was putting a 6ft gash in the side [​IMG].
    Nope...hate to say it we need something nice that can get about 20mpg. Thinking maybe a Rodeo. Wish I had picked up the 70 sub I had found with a blown engine. Then I could have swapped this good engine in.

Grim-Reaper
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/>http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/</A>

9. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

ok,,,here's the best of both world's,,,sell the '75 for a couple hundred(sounds like it's had it's better day's),,,,then pick up a couple auto trades and find yourself a subaru wagon!!!!!! 4x4,4 door,low rider,easy on gas with plenty of room for the little ones,,heck there are plenty of little four door's out there for cheap and most still run great...
    i'd just think twice about selling your pride and joy,,,you will regret it later,,trust me i know,,i miss my old ride and every day i wish i still had it,,but the guy who bought it off of me trashed it within a few month's,,,now it's not even good for part's..just my .02[​IMG]

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

10. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Pick up a Burb like the one you found and dump the motor into it. I definitely agree you can pick up something cheap you can fix.

$Running 4door - $79Blazer &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; (is still greater than [​IMG]) $Non-running4door

<font color=blue>"It's just a differentialator....Totally unnecessary" [​IMG]</font color=blue>

11. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

ERIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Hello, is there something you are leaving out of this equation???? Get rid of the Supra, use that money to get the family car, and you drive the 79 to and from work!!!! Or is your work too far for that? Thats what I would do.
    Or have you just gotten too used to that g-force from the supra???

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/4.10's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

12. Grim-Reaper

hehe no...I have a 44 mile round trip to work. Supra pay's for itself in gas alone. It's a Supra thing also...you would have to drive one to understand[​IMG] It also has a back seat so in a pinch it's usable. Now I will not be K5 less...I will still have the 75. Just need a family vehicle......like the 454 3/4ton Sub I found an add for in the Sunday paper. That would move the truck LOL.

Grim-Reaper

13. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

I have driven one. Thats why I asked about the g-force. My dad was painting one, and was driving it around for a week or so. HEHE, that damn thing will flat out rip your undies off. I understand. I just thought I'd try. And I thought I remember you saying something about driving a ways to work.
    But HEY, I hear you on the 454 burbon......... But that SOB will be a gas hog as well. Just have to tell the little miss' to keep her foot out of it. ---- Have you got to hug her yet since you guys can reach one another now? LOL!!! My wifes belly is starting to bulge, least she says it is. I cant see it. All I can see is the dollar signs rolling in my head like slot machines, thinking about diapers. LOL!!! Im sure you'll figure out something bro. Family come first. You getting a raise with that new position??? Hell just buy a fifth car. LOL!!!! Then you have to buy a parking lot for all the cars. But its a thought. Or you could just get Glen to come by in the patrol car and take you guys where ever you need to go, all at the expense of the tax payers.

Will work for beer, parts and tools.
    90 Jimi,350/700R4/241/10bolts/4.10's/33's/4"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>

14. Grim-Reaper

Yeah a raise will come with the job, if I get it. I have my yearly that's due but I'm maxed out so not sure how much I will see there. If I get the job it's 2 pay grades higher than I am now so would be about 12% I think. If I get that one then it's a 3 mile trip to work :) tank of gas would last me a month not 4 days. That would be a raise in it's self!
    Wife is a stay at home mom and I'm very glad I can make ends meet and she can stay home with the kids but it's tight! So a 454 sub would be a grocery getter and get very few miles on it. If I do sell the Supra what I would want to replace it is a about a 91 Q45 Infinity...MAN that car does it for me...never thought I would say that about a 4 door but who can argue with an aluminum V 8 pumping out 265 hp STOCK. Those things are sleepers...they will give rice boys a pretty good run for their money and I can pick up a clean Q with 75k for under $10k. Ohhh and if I get this job I will be traveling some in the South east and have to make some wheeling plans for weekend lay overs hehehe. You would be in my area that I would be going from time to time.

Grim-Reaper