Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Haulin a dirtbike with a K5??

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Irork, Jan 4, 2007.

1. Irork

Irork Registered Member

Alright guys, i got a 84 K5 with 6 inch softrides, 2 body, and 38.5 boggers... and now ive bought a dirtbike. The only problem is i dont want to trailer the bike for the simple fact of the restrictions it brings to where i can ride. Id like to be able to haul the bike with the blazer out on the trails find a good campin spot and take the bike out from there. Has anyone ever build a sturdy "rack" so to speak that bolts to the frame at the back on a K5? Maybe im not the first to think of this.... im hoping. well any ideas would be appriciated!
    oh and since this is my first post..... heres a pic of the blazer.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

3. AllamericanK5

AllamericanK5 1/2 ton status

I ride as much as i can. I basicly made a moto tote like the ones they sell to go into the reciver hitch. What i did is as of right now i dont have a back bumper im building one but i took some angle and make two L shapes they bolt on right were the bumper dose same holes and every thing thing i took my moto ramp and truned it upside down and bolted it to the L frame work. A coulple I bolts and a stop for the front tire and its good to go. It took maybe 4hrs or so to fab up. It has worked great for a good 4 months now and i ride every weekend it dosnt snow. I plan after my bumper is finished to make a new place to bolt it to the frame behind the bumper. Hope i could help.

4. Irork

Irork Registered Member

:D Haha... good try pauly. Thats exactly what i was looking for! I wonder if it would be cheaper just to purchase one rather then build it myself. The price of steel is rediculous these days. but yes thats what i was hoping to find... now i just gotta find a collapsable ramp that is long enough to make it possible to get the bike up high enough and still fit in the blazer. Thanks for the help guys!

5. BKinzey

BKinzey 1/2 ton status

Do some looking on dirt bike forums. There is lots of info on what to look for and what to avoid, options, choices, etc. I'm sure you could find over 200 models easily and plenty of ideas for homemade.

6. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

wow! I'm wanting more info on the blazer!
    I see 8 lugs...also how do you clear those 38.5's with only 8" of lift? Nice!

-Avery

7. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    The receiver hitch ones work well. You can even find bumper racks that just fit over the bumper. Not bolted on or anything just have a lip that fits over and buckets that the front tires fall into then a couple ratchet straps from the bike to the vehicle.

I hauled an RM250 on the rear of my 74 chevelle this way for a couple years. Talk about looking redneck going to the races!:doah:

I have also hauled one in the back of the blazer with the rear seat out and top off and put a 2 x 10 across behind the front seats.

8. mxfireman

mxfireman 1/2 ton status

I have also used the syle that pauly posted a picture of. I had zero problems with it. The only thing that I would suggest is to strap the rear tire to where the tire sets incase you hit a bump the rear tire does not hop out of holder. I had 4 tie downs on mine and when I pulled into where I was going to ride the tire was sitting on the edge ready to fall off:(

9. rdn2blazer

rdn2blazer 1 ton status Premium Member

yea, more info on the very clean blazer please and welcome to the board.

10. gm500hprat

gm500hprat 1/2 ton status

Irork.

I have seen tons of them I currently have 2. The ones that are the strongest are made of a wider channel not thicker. My most recent one was given to me it's a much thinner metal with a wider channel and is way sturdier than my old one. My buddy has one for his k5 thats works off of a bottle jack and drops down near to the ground and the bike is clamped to the base by bolts that thread through the footpegs and then you can add tie downs as needed. I dont know what state you are in but Im in Cali if your local you can have my old one. I can insert pics of it if needed. I never painted it. It has a ramp thats connected to the rack with heavy duty hinges it worked great for my tahoe, you would probably need too add another hinge and a little more metal with the lift of your truck.

Thanks Art

11. CDA 455

CDA 455 3/4 ton status

Ooooh! A dirtbike!

I thought you said dirtbag :eek1: :D :haha: :rotfl: !!

12. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

I've got a pair of those. Haven't used them in probably 10-15 years. Heck... don't even have a dirt bike anymore!
    If somebody wants them, they can have them. Just pay for shipping.

The only down side is that you have to lift the bike into them. It's somewhat difficult to do alone, even on a car. If the bumper is 30" off the ground, I can see it being a real pain in the ass. :eek1:

13. 70jimmy

70jimmy 3/4 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Released from Pueblo, told I belong in Southpark
    Yep after a day of racing it was very hard to lift it up on the back of the Chevelle alone. It only took me about 30 times to figure out that it was much easier if you let the air out of the air shocks so the back of the chevelle was lower to the ground. :o

14. Irork

Irork Registered Member

Im thinkin youve all talked me into it. Its obvious that it can be done with little problems if any. So thanks for that.

and now for the details on the blazer that everyone wants...
    400 cubic inch small block
    Edelbrock performer intake manifold
    Edelbrock 600 cfm carb
    3/4 ton dana 44 up front
    14 bolt full floater out back
    4.10's in both
    6 inch skyjacker softride springs
    2 inch body lift
    38.5-11.5-16.5 boggers
    and to be honest with you avery it doesnt clear them very well haha. i need to do some trimming
    interior stripped and bedcoated
    heres another picture with that motor i just finished putting in
    [​IMG]
    oh and ignor that backwards bogger haha
    Thanks again guys

15. Avery4jc

Avery4jc 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

NICE!

IMHO it clears them as well as I do and I've got about 10" of lift...but I guess being that a 14ff gives you another inch you really have about 9"...

16. Irork

Irork Registered Member

ya its not too bad, the front rubs pretty bad. but nothing a sawzall cant fix.
    The drivers side hub went caboom on me so i gotta fix that, thats why there is no front driveshaft if any of you were wondering. stinkin boggers

17. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner