Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Haunted Wipers

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Smitty, Nov 2, 2000.

1. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

The wipers on my 82 will cycle once everytime I start the engine. Figured I'd ask if anyone has run into this before I break out the testlight.

Smitty

2. Wheels

Wheels 1/2 ton status

I had that same problem on a 90 S-10 Blazer that my wife had. Then it started to do it when you turned the steering wheel a certain way. She would never let it sit in the driveway long enough to work on and in 96 we traded it in. Never could find the source. I figured that it was something in the stering wheel that had chaffed through a wire and letting the park ground make a momentary contact. This is the only thing that I figured would cause it.

3. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

My 84 started doing the same thing- it wasn't much later that I experienced a cloud of blue smoke and a fancy repair bill. To confirm Wheels suspicions, the coating on one of the wires in the column had been rubbed off at the tilt pivot point, and basically trashed the whole harness once it lit up. To compound the matter, I also have cruise control on the signal arm, which of course joined in on the meltdown action.

So take my advice and get in there and look for the short, before the harness burns up.

4. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

My wiper controls are on the dash. I'm not too sure how something in the column could be causing the problem.

5. CBLAZER81

CBLAZER81 1/2 ton status

Mine were acting up awhile back.I went to the junkyard and got a new/different switch.They have a printed circuit board in them and mine was worn out and loose.Good luck.

Chuck
    81 Blazer
    Colorado,USA

6. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Your wiper motor has a park switch which runs off a cam, and relay of sorts when you turn off the wipers it is supposed to return the wipers to the off position. I believe the contacts have gotten out of adjustment so when you power up the truck it thinks you have just shut off the wipers causing the blades to "repark" themselves.

7. Smitty

Smitty 1/2 ton status

I was thinking along the same line. Pulled the switch apart and cleaned the electrical contacts but they didn't look too bad. At least the intermittent wipers work a little better now. I'm headed for the park components next since this only happens when I start it up.

Smitty