Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have 44s need gearing ideas

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Flipper, Oct 19, 2000.

1. Flipper

Flipper Registered Member

Here is the set-up
    396 Big block 325 horses, turbo 400 with 2.42 gears (stock 1st?) divorced 205 and D44-14corp.(3/4 ton)
    Have 5.13 but still need lower! Any ideas on transfer case(seen lots of low range kits for 300s) have seen the 203-205 doubler in magazine but I've got the divorced model. I quess I really like the granny low of the 465 since
    I got one in my daily driver (6 to 1 Gear yes!)My last idea was in Summit racing was a drag race low gear of 2.75 to one but such a small jump. Any ideas? How about a low torque cam or a diesel torque converter?

2. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

How about getting a tranny and transfer combo that's married together, then retain your divorced transfer case and have the front driveshaft come off the divorced transfer case. You may have to lower the divorced case down a bit for the front driveshaft to clear the other transfer, but it might be worthwhile considering.

ken

3. Flipper

Actully Ken the divorced gets my driveline angles right on the nuts and I can get the tranny out in 30 minutes while leaving in the 205 (got it from a 60's Dodge and put the big yokes on er)No breakage yet with the 3d driveshaft but
    that might chage if I improve my gearing problem.

4. wstolar

wstolar Registered Member

Flipper,

What did you get the big yokes off of? I also have a t/c from a 60's Dodge and would like to put bigger yokes on it.
    What size ujt can the bigger yoke take?

thanks - Walter

5. Flipper

WS -Did yoke swap 8 years ago done by Libson Truck Parts in Minneapolis, bought them new(all 3) this guy knew his stuff because he had an old Spicer parts book and we had the old yokes off for spline counts. I can't think of the model number of the big joint(it will come to me at 2 a.m.) but its the size that all 14 bolts( Full Floaters) use.
    I highly recommend a divorced 205 for decreasing driveline angles.(remember 3-5 degrees is max for no vibration and longer joint life)

6. BIGJ

BIGJ 1/2 ton status Author

Why not go with 2 1/2 ton Rockwell's? 6.72:1 sounds pretty good to me, and you definitely don't have to worry about breaking 'em. Hey, you already bought the 44's, so what's another couple thousand anyway?!

BIGJ

7. Flipper

Yes, I dare to dream 2 1/2 ton military but than I woke up when the mortage bill hit me!

8. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

2 1/2 tons aren't THAT strong. Only 1 5/8" shafts with coarse splines and 40-50 year old metallurgy, not exactly strong stuff by today's standards. Conversly, the shafts in the Dana 60 I had built for my Jeep CJ8 are 1 3/4" x 40 spline!!! Talk about beef!! They laugh at Rockwell 2 1/2 ton pigs!!!

ken

9. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

Ken, I've been reading your posts for several months now and I couldn't go any longer without commenting on how much cool stuff you have. Besides the suburban and the other trucks you have, that Dana 60 sounds pretty hardcore. What else haven't we heard about yet? Got a few 426 Hemi's sitting in crates in the corner of your garage? Some NV4500's sitting out back. lol
    One more thing...how in the world does your wife let you keep all of that stuff? I tried hypnotizm on my girl, but no luck yet.

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

10. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

The 2.75 kit might drop it down more than you think. If you multiply everything together (1st gear in trans x t-case x rear axle ratio), the stock 2.42 gives you (2.42 x 2 x 5.13) = 24.8:1, while the 2.75 would give you 28.2 overall, which may or may not be enough, or worth while. The gearing issue is just one negative thing about running 1-ton hardware (i.e. = TH400 and NP205), while it's bulletproof you just can't get real low gears. For examply my '90 K5 with the 700r4 and NP241 and only 4.10 gears I have a low range of 34.1:1, if I had 5.13 gears that would give me 42.7:1!!

11. ken

ken 1/2 ton status

Well, to answer your question 73K5, my wife really doesn't mind my hobby. The only time she did object is when I brought a COMPLETE interior (seats, carpet, headliner, etc, etc) from a '91 Suburban into our front living room. Kinda dominated the living room!!! Well, I had no where else to put it before installing it in my '77 Sub!! Anyways, her daily driver is a '90 Suburban. When we bought it it was a 1/2 ton 4x4 with little 235 tires on it. She refused to drive it till I lifted it, so out came the Camaro 10 bolt front and rear ends, in went a 14 bolt FF and Dana 60 front and a 6" Superlift and 35" BFGs. Then, we bought her a Jeep CJ7...she wouldn't drive that either till it was lifted, so off again to the 4x4 shop we went to buy a 4" lift and 35" tires. Now she's happy, although she doesn't like the noise of the Flowmasters and the power of the built AMC 401 engine I installed in her Jeep. Oh, but does it dune!!!! She wants her 6 cylinder back...that's about her only drawback, she doesn't "go" for the beautiful music that 2 chamber Flowmasters and a healthy V8 make!! Music to my ears!!! As for "hidden" treasure lurking around my house...there's a front Dana 60 laying under the grapefruit tree, there's 3 or 4 454 4 bolt main blocks laying around, some steel cranks, some rectangular port heads, 205s, 465s, 400/203 combos, etc, etc. I gotta divest myself of some stuff, you accumulate alot in 15 years!!!

ken

12. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Hey Flipper,

when you get new gears, are you interested in parting with those D44 5.13's? Are tye still in good shape?

Let me know!

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; http://emmett.coloradok5.com

13. Flipper

Em 101-
    Probably not till I get a better deal on other drivetrain stuff but I know what ya mean-
    got the front from Reider Racing $325!!!?? Not exactly the $110 3:73 SPECIALS ya see
    in 4 wheeler and the rears got used thank god, 100 bones with the carrier, I ran when I got that
    deal and when I got home, the old price list was in the 3plus range again!? Got lucky on that one.