Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have a big ? on a c/v style drive shaft.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BILLY RAY, Jul 29, 2002.

1. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Ok I know one of you backyard boys know the answer to this so please help me. I'am running a doubler with the 32 spline output shafts and I'am having some bad drive line noise. Steve seems to think I need to run a c/v style set up to help but not for sure if it will fix it. Now lets get to what I need to know I know the 1350 c/v style drive shafts come out of a Ford Exp. but what I need to know is what output flange do I need to use with this set up for a 32 spline shaft. I don't want to spend a lot of money because I don't know if the c/v shaft will fix it. I hope it is a ford or dodge yoke that could help. I was told that you could use a frt. 208 flange and machine the piolt down but would need to find a seal to make it work but this will not work with the ford shaft. OK guys any help would be great. THANKS!!!!

2. K10ANDYKHAMNIC

K10ANDYKHAMNIC 1/2 ton status

huh ? slow down man .... lemme go reread that thar post ...

so u need a rear 1350 cv drive shaft and need to know what flange you can put on the 32 spline output on your 205 case ? hmmm gimme a couple days and ill see what i can do .

3. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

ill be putting the doubler together soon and installing a rear cv shaft. not only am i shortening the length by adding another t-case, but i am increasing the angle by pushing up for a flatter belly pan...a regular shaft can't handle that.

i wouldnt think a ford expedition shaft would be short enough for the k5 application...the only other 1350 cv shaft i have heard about is available from high angle. i know its some dinero but jesse is the only one who will put one of these 1350 cv shafts together...with 30 degrees of flex, nice. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

let me know what you find out though...

4. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

driveline service of fresno/stockton/sacramento makes a cv shaft that has a working angle of 42 deg..thats what i have in mine..they call it the BAMF /forums/images/icons/grin.gif it has a flange mount comin out of the transfer and 1350 joint at the axle...i think its runnin 1410 joints in the cv...but i am not forsure on it.. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif Drive line service site about bamf shaft
    just another little info...i have one of the first 3 built..the first one is in a blazer runnin 39" swampers...hey have tried breakin it and cant do it..doin smoky burn outs and just dumpin the clutch..so they have waled on it and no such luck in snapin it..i have been runnin it since april...in that time period i would have went threw about 2 or 3 normal cv shafts...i would waste em way too easy..i have yet to destroy anything on this shaft...the most i have done to it is scratch it up a little on the rocks...but other than that...very happy with it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

Thanks !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

6. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

for 750 bucks it aughta change its own u joints!

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

i am just lookin at it this way...in the past 2 years i have spent well over 500 bucks in drive shafts...because i keep wasting them...just this year i replaced 3 of em..just in the rear...that dident count the front one i blew at blazer fest...but that was caused from a rock denting the tube. i feel it was a good investment at least for me..considering how many shafts i take out a year..this one has lasted me longer than anyother one i have ever had...and have not had to change a u joint since i put it in...i have put well over 10000 miles on this shaft...with a run up to the oregon sand dunes, pismo sand dunes, hollister twice, and a other trips..+ everyday driveing..sure this maybe another one of thos more money than brains things..but i see it saving me in the long run. /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

8. BigMac

BigMac 1/2 ton status

dang!

You must wheel mo harder than me.... All I managed to break is one u joint and a rear posi...

Hey if you get what you pay for and it saves some headaches maybe it's worth it.. The numbers on that site gave me sticker shock! Just when I thought high angle was expensive youve convinced me there not so bad...

If I broke 3 in one year I'd be looking for something beefyer too...

9. drivelineman

drivelineman 1/2 ton status

This 42 degree unit is a neat unit made in itally but the parts -u joints - c/v components and such are not available alone - so if you buy a 700$ driveline you have to send it back to see if its covered under waranty- where our 1350 c/v is good for most applications up to 700 horse power - 24 degree operation and about 200 $ cheeper and you can buy parts:) - as for the 205 mounted flange on the rear output- we do have a patent pending on ours- Jess

10. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

you dont have to send it back to em...DLS in fresno has the parts to rebuild the cv "if need" sittin on the shelf /forums/images/icons/grin.gif i dont know if this is their standard warranty for this shaft but basicly if i can break the cv portion of it they will fix it for free...i dont know if that was just because i have one of the first ones...but thats the deal i got with it /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

11. BILLY RAY

BILLY RAY 1/2 ton status

TTT /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

12. spoolnaround

spoolnaround 1/2 ton status

Chaz, The shafts you kept killing were what? stock? ot the 1350? CV? I am going to have one built as soon as I get my doubler done. So far I think Jesse is the way to go even though DLS Fresno is only 15 mins from me.