Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

have a few questions about c.u.c.v.'s and such

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by grafixxman, Feb 8, 2005.

1. grafixxman

grafixxman Registered Member

evening all. i just want to say thanks to everyone who has helped me out thus far. the help/advice is mucho appreciated. i am sure to have more questions soon.

#1. have any of you ever dealt with buying military surplus stuff from the government? is it a pain in the butt? i found a M1008 i would like to get basically for parts. it has the top cut off and missing various interior peices, but the entire drivetrain is there. i basically want it from the frame down. i should ( hopefully ) be able to get it pretty damn cheap.

#2. i was told that the 1 ton frames are slightly different. this may sound like a dumb question to some of you ( sorry for lack of experience/intelligence ), but if i got this truck, can i pull the body off of mine and swap it onto the cucv frame? if it is not a " direct bolt on " what kind of dumb things will i encounter?

#3. back to the government stuff. the truck is located at a military base in new mexico. i have to bid on it ( like ebay ) and if i win, i assume i will have to have it shipped to kentucky. i won't drive that far. is that easy to do? i can't go there to inspect it personally because of the distance and because it is on a military base...so if it is cheap enough, should i buy it " basically sight unseen "? i have seen pics of it, but none of them are in great detail. is shipping a truck from new mexico to kentucky gonna break the bank?

#4. i basically just want to have a very solid/tough dependable truck. it will be a daily driver, but a trail rig/mud rig when time allows. as i said i am in kentucky, so i will not be rock crawling. would i be spending my money unwisely if i got said truck and did all of the swapping?

( my truck now is an all stock 87 long bed chevy. it is a 1/2 ton w/ 10 bolts front and rear. it is just a plain ole truck. i plan on lifting it 6" and running 35's after i install my new motor. i bought a dana 44 front and a f/f 14 bolt for the rear with a gov lock. both axels have a 4.10 gear. )

i know if i was to swap in the 44 and 14 bolt i currently own, i would probably never break them for the kind of driving/wheeling i do or will do. on the other hand, if i was to swap in a 1 1/4 ton cucv running gear it would never break...within reason. i am just trying to spend what little money i have wisely and trying to get the best bang for my buck. right now i am trying to get all of my ducks in a row so i can come up with a gameplan and execute it as best i can.

thanks ya'll. this is the best and most informative site i have ever seen. you guys are great and helpful. i have a lot more confidence in the fact that there are people out there willing to help out a new guy rather than the horribly expensive and over-rated 4WD shops around town. there are only 2 anyways.

thanks again in advance...

humbly,

Tyler Clark
    www.wickedgrafixx.com

2. okie k5

okie k5 Registered Member

Where in NM

I live in Albuquerque and I work at Kirtland Air Force Base there. If it is there I can look at it for you to insure good condition. Let me know.

3. NewMexK5

NewMexK5 1/2 ton status

[okie K5]

sent you a pm.

4. grafixxman

okie...

thanks man. i really appreciate it. i sent you a pm.

Tyler

5. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

Mee Too!

Looks like we'll be bidding against each other :grin:, I'm drooling over that CUCV as well, I imagine alot of folks are going to be bidding on her for her girly parts ;) .

I was thinking of driving down and looking maybe this weekend if I can get an appointment.

Good luck, maybe you have more money set aside than I do.

6. NewMexK5

NewMexK5 1/2 ton status

Hehe

I called this morning and they said that to view the truck it had to be on a weekday. But there is also a K3500 crew cab in the same auction. So some of us have choices.:grin:

7. NewMexK5

NewMexK5 1/2 ton status

Good luck to all bidders.;)

Its still mine though.j/k

8. tuffdogstudio

tuffdogstudio 1/2 ton status

Yeah the 3500 Crew is sweet, just gonna go past my reach I think, besides, I really just need/want diffs.

9. grafixxman

man............ya'll suck.:)

i thought i finally found the one. oh well. i don't have a lot to spend thats why i was so interested in that one. ya'll don't miss a trick do ya. i figured that one is so far away and is all cut up, no one will want that one. oh well. it sucks because there are none around here, yet i have seen 5 of them driving around in the last week. i haven't been able to stop the people and find out where they got theirs as of yet.

so, has anyone got any kind of answers to my questions? i could certainly use some help and/or advice.

thanks,

Tyler

10. NewMexK5

NewMexK5 1/2 ton status

Yeah this is the first M1008 I have seen in NM in a while. Most of them are usually out of reach for me.:(

As for your truck though the drivetrain from the CUCV will work. If you are planning on using a gas motor though I would just use your frame and install the axles and whatever else into your truck. Less of a hassle IMO.

11. okie k5

Another Option

Hey I don't know if you guys are still interested, but there is a hellacious deal is you ask me at Kirtland. THere is a 1 ton Duallie 86 Chevy. It has a n SM465, a snow plow, two stage aircompressor, and a 4500 lb hydraulic hoist on it. I know the truck is a beast and would suck offroad, but it has the wide D60, a SM 465 with a hyd pto I think for the plow and a two stage air compressor you could put in your shop. It has 6500 on the window, but has been sitting in the same place for at least 3 months. If I wan't banned from spending money on the blazer until August, my wife is a distant relative of a Hitler, mussolini, and stalin cross.

12. bigcat44

bigcat44 Registered Member

Hey Okie,
    Where is it on Kirtland? Lemon lot? I too live on/stationed here at KAFB.

13. okie k5

Lemon lot

Yep it is in the Lemon Lot. Where do you work? Do you have a K5? Are you looking for someone to go wheeling with? Come on I need a 4x4 buddy. My wife can't pull me out of a sticky situation by herself, she only wieghs a buck 35.
    OKIE

14. bigcat44

bigcat44 Registered Member

Okie,

Yes I just got my K5 from Phoenix and have been working out the minor problems here and there. I am game to do some wheeling but I am pretty busy. I play Football for a local AAA team so most of my free time (we are in season right now through April) is spent traveling to and from games. I am PCSing to Lackland AFB in June but hey drop me an email and we can meet up. I work in the 58th. My rig is always parked out in front of bldg 996 it's the blue and silver (and a little rust!)GMC.