Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

have a laptop in ur rig?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by jekbrown, Nov 12, 2003.

1. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

i am pondering adding a laptop to my k5 for GPS puposes and was wondering what else, if anything, I might use it for. I could always get one with a dvd drive and watch movies I guess... but the real question is, whatelse can you use a puter in a rig for? is there a way, for example, to use a puter as supplemental guages? not sure what kinda whizbang adapters and interfaces you'd need... but if they can make electric digital guages... why not? also, how about using a laptop + some sort of tough minicam to see whats goin on behind ur rig... or under it for that matter... some sorta security cam monitoring software might work for that and some simple b/w outdoor cams protected by lexan or plexi or whatever to keep the elements out. I dunno, Im just lookin for anything and everything a laptop could be used for inside of a trail rig. any ideas/thoughts?

j

2. TXsizeK5

TXsizeK5 1/2 ton status

Your idea is 2 fast 2 furious. hey,vin diesel, how bout a stand alone fuel management system. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Nah but the camera and GPS thing sound golden. Let me know how it turns out for you... possible get some lights in your fender wells and mount the camera on top of your front and rear axles so you can monitor what you're getting hungup on and such. But gotta find a way to keep em secure if you decide to go thru mud. /forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif

3. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

you have TBI?? Always can run WINaldl, did that on the way to Las Cruces last year. Pretty sweet to monitor everything your engine does!!

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Dan has one. But he's a city technogadget guy. Cracks me up every time we go on a road trip.!!!

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

Some of the higher end Fuel injection systems will let you tune on the go with a laptop. That would be awesome to be able to set you r fuel ratio,timing, idle speed, advance,power reducer,etc. That would be the ultimate in on demand adjustments for different driving conditions. /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/ooo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. KRAZIE87K5

KRAZIE87K5 1/2 ton status

I'll second WINALDL! Very cool app! You can monitor EVERYTHING in your motor in one glance! Otherwise, I just use it to store pics from the digital cam! /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

BTW - I'll be ignoring Laketex's above comments.

-Dan

7. Sidepipes

Sidepipes 1/2 ton status

My friend with a Jeep Rubicon has a GPS that hooks to his PDA/ Windows CE type doo-hicky.

he had to by a mount for it but it seems secure enough. it didn't budge when we were yankin his sorry a$$ out of a mud pit.... His excuse for getting stuck.... its a rock crawler not a mud bogger! we all laughed at him

8. CyberSniper

CyberSniper 1/2 ton status Premium Member

GPS and winamp. "...slaps the llama's ass".

Someday I'll be running some kind of fuel injection whether it be my own or a stock setup and I'll run either my own software or winALDL.

Other than that, probably just a good spot to unload cameras. It would also be a good spot to watch divx or DVDs when you're waiting for the Heep on 31s to shovel itself out. Out on the trail watching Lethal Weapon and it comes your turn and everyone else is telling you to go and you just say "in a minute, Mel Gibson is about to jump off the roof".

9. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I run the Holley 4Di fuel injection and I frequently carry a laptop to monitor it and tweak on it. I also have piped my GPS into it as well. Its OK but a pain to type and drive down the trail on.

10. berg76

berg76 1/2 ton status

Why not build a custom box and permenatly install desktop computer. Run some audio cables. Run a small lcd on the dash. Run a WIFI adapter so you can download new music and check your email. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. rjfguitar

You could even be in the message forums waiting for the sorry ass jeep to get out of your way on the trail. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

12. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

Obviously you would have a hard drive full of mp3's. You run winamp and send the audio to your sound system. If your laptop doesn't have a good sound card you can get one of those external ones. Mount a CD-rom somewhere accessible so you can rip all of your friends' CDs to your hard drive while playing them as they ride with you.

Put a wireless network card in it and have a wireless network at home so that all data can sync up while you are in the garage.

I have been thinking about a project like this for a long time. In my mind, the only difficult thing is a good user interface so that you can use it all while driving without being dangerous. A touch screen would be ideal.

13. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

I bet you would go through hard drives. Might have to build a seperate cushion system for it.

14. scrappy88

scrappy88 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Why not build a custom box and permenatly install desktop computer. Run some audio cables. Run a small lcd on the dash. Run a WIFI adapter so you can download new music and check your email. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I did exactly that with my setup. I built a custom center console that holds the following: computer, power supply, VCR, video input/control panel, switch panel, and a ton of wiring for everything to work. The sound from the computer is hooked up to the head unit in the dash. I have a GPS setup with it as well, and it works great. 7" LCD screen up front for the display. I hope to eventually add a camera up in front of the truck and display that on the screen as well. It was a pain in the butt to build, but I like how everything came out. Plus, the center console makes a good armrest. The power inverter to run the computer is behind the drivers bedside interior panel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

now as much as i was making fun of danny earlier, i've gotta say this about your setup...WOW that's badass!

16. dill

dill Registered Member

I have a wireless card in my laptop, and a 2.4 ghz antenna on the roof, its fun to run Kismet or Netstumbler and seeing all the wireless networks around.

17. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[/ QUOTE ]
    It's 4x4 night rider! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Looks cool man. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

18. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

yeah, what would REALLY rock, if if I fabbed up a base for the laptop that in standard position would be mounted in front of the passanger (dvd watching etc) but for trail/mp3 use the whole thing could swing out/forward and lock in place so it was driver accessible and you could use the keyboard etc. That'd be super pimp. I really like the idea of the lil cameras... be sweet if you could record some stills or vid off of them onto the laptop also. maybe mount a camera in the very bottom of the grill, angled downward a little so when the hood was in the way and I couldnt see past it, i could just glance at the screen and see where my line went. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif naturally, a good splash of mud would make the camera useless... but if the location was well chosen it'd be ok... peeps usually stop a lot on trail runs anyway, plenty of ops to wipe off the plexi enclosure. hmmmm... this is starting to sound less vin desiel and more rock-o-riffic all the time.

AFA the EFI system monitoring thing, that'd be awesome! doubt I'll have FI anytime soon though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

j

19. Skigirl

Skigirl 1/2 ton status

Scrappy, that's awesome. I am putting in similar stuff - 2 cameras - rearview and blind spot - GPS, ham radio already in. No vcr-have a dvd. I'd love to see your setup someday soon. I'm not far from you. Hint. Hint. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

20. CHEVY 4WD

CHEVY 4WD 1/2 ton status

get internet on it so you can have CK5 on the trail /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif
    I think mini cams would be cool too