Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have A Problem and need Help

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by A&P, Mar 4, 2002.

1. A&P

A&P Registered Member

Ok Yall,
    I've had my truck for almost a year now, and the 4x4 has never really worked. Whenever I lock it in, even on the really soft stuff, I get this horrible popping sound. I think It's most likely different axle ratios. I have a 44 front and 12B rear. I'm pretty sure I have 3.42 in the rear, and 3.73 in the front. That's what the data tag on the diff cover in the front tells me anyways. The popping sound is unbearable. Because of the necessary use of this, I screwed up my 203 and had to rechain/rebuild it. So far, I have pulled the driver's side shaft out of the 44, and it's ok. Have yet to do the pass. side. Also havent pulled the cover off yet. If anyone wants to donate a 3.73 ring and pinion for a 12 bolt, it would be much appreciated. Also, any suggestions or comments from someone who has encountered this before. Also, you can feel a knocking like movement when it happens. It stops when you put it back in 2wd and gas it or back up 50ft or so. Thanks for any replies.

2. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

Get all four tires up off the grond with jackstands. Or a lift and put it in 4 wheel drive and see if you get the noise.. Then you can chech your ratio.. By count rev.....Dan

3. A&P

A&P Registered Member

I tried the jackstand thing, but it's like it's not putting enough resistance between the 2 axles to make the popping noise, it just drives smoothly. I don't know, this is really pissing me off.
    -Ben

4. Overkill

Overkill 1/2 ton status

I'll put a $20 bet on front drive shaft (spines). Mine did the exact same thing, I have the same gear ratio front and back so I would only hear it when the front needed to really pull. You could try removing your rear driveshaft and hold your foot on the brakes while trying to move forward in 4low, have someone watch the driveline and see if they can tell where the popping (slipping is coming from). Give that a shot, and if you can't get the noise maybe try the same for the rear. Hope this helps, good luck.

5. bigmack

bigmack 1/2 ton status

You might check the lockouts. I would say that you defenitely need to get the same gears front & rear.

6. A&P

A&P Registered Member

Thanks guys, I'll definately try and check out both. Although, I went to the local pick and pull, and grabbed a new slip and stub front shaft off an 85 3/4 ton burb. the stub was too long but the slip was the same, so used them together. My old slip was screwed. I was hoping that would work, but maybe the resistance from the ratios tore the new slip too. Well, thanks again.
    -Ben