Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have a question about J**PS!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by fortcollinsram, Dec 6, 2003.

1. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Well the gas mileage on my K5 is killing my wallet. I have been making more frequent trips to Denver and the 10mpg just doesn't cut it on a College student budget. I am going to purchasing a 89 Jeep Cherokee from a guy here in town. I am getting it for $1100 and it has had a crap done of work done to it buy the guy am buying it from. The guy I am buying it from also happens to be the guy that built my 454 so I know his sh!t is good. It is a 4.0 with the 5-spd. My question is reguarding the puny-azz axles on this thing...How can I tell the diff btw a Dana 44 and a D35 and a D30? I can spot a GM 10-bolt or a D60 or a 14bff a mile a way, but I have no clue about this Jeep stuff...Any pointers?

Chris

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

All Dana axles have the model number stamped on the front part of the housing somewhere, AFIAK.

I'd bet on a D30 front and D35 rear, myself.

3. tomseviltwin

tomseviltwin 1/2 ton status

There's an outside chance it has a D44 in the rear, but most likely is a D35. The 44 cover is the same "diamond" shape as a D60, only smaller. Most likely you have the D35 in back which is a symetrical oval shape. If it has a flat edge on the bottom, it is a corporate Chrysler axle and is a little stronger than the D35. The front is a D30 and probably has vacume disconnect. These axles are strong enough to usually hold up to 32" tires. I've got a 91 and I like it ok (wifes car) The 4.0 is a strong engine, and you will get better gas mileage than the chev.

4. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The rear is almost positively a 35c. In the webbing to the upper right of the diffy cover it has a 35C extruding from the casting. The other option is the Chrysler 8.25 and an ever farther off chance is the D44. But like I said, just off to the upper right of the diffy cover it says. Another thing to look for is the tranny. If its a two peice (get under and look if its split down the tranny) its a puguet (sp?) which you DO NOT want to bash. These are fragile.

5. fortcollinsram

Yeah I am not gonna bash it eaither way. I just want something to drive to and from school and work. I have been afraid of actually wheeling the pee outta my K5 b/c I have no other transportation should I really jack it up.

6. Confedneck

Confedneck 3/4 ton status

that 89 cherokee will have a 35c rear, 30 front, and probably 4.10 gears...anyways cherokees are good vehicles, but the pre-90 or 91s had some wiring problems, but im sure at this point in that jeeps life they've been adressed..1100 is a good deal, is it 4wd and 4 door? the 2 doors are pretty much worthless if you ask me..

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Only the Cherokee's with the factory towing package got the D44 rear...it wasn't that common though.

The D35 and D44 look nothing alike.

We have an 88, and it's been an OK vehicle. Mileage isn't that special but much better than a K5 with a big block. We average 15-18 mpg with ours. The 4.0 does have a lot of power though.

$1100 is a ton less than we paid.../forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

rene

8. balzackks84

balzackks84 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

4.10s were only put in the 4 cyl 5 spd models. I think the 4.0s were a 3.57 or something like that.

If you have any questions about it www.naxja.com

9. Confedneck

ya know, you're right..maybe 3.55s then or something to that effect...the guy who owned mine last says he got 20mpg on the interstate and about 16 around town..

10. fortcollinsram

Yeah it is a 4dr, 4wd, 4.0 with a 5spd. It has has had the cooling system COMPLETELY rebuilt in the last 2 weeks (new Modine Rad, new water pump, new t-stat and housing, new hoses all over and new heater core. Also has recently had a new LUK clutch and major tune up...Runs like a champ, 140,000 miles a few rough areas on the body buy I don't rally care. As long as I am getting like 15mpg, I'll be happy...

11. Confedneck

sounds like a damned good deal, get on it..post pics