Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have a question about towing with a CUCV

Discussion in 'Tow & Trailer' started by K5MONSTERCHEV, Jun 15, 2005.

1. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

So how is a CUCV with towing? I have been wanting to get one and build it up for a wheeler, and the time may be coming soon. I have been thinking about buying one in NY and a trailer, then towing my girlfriends car (jetta, so not too heavy) and stuff with the CUCV. How does it tow? Decent power? It it a total turd? Should I throw a turbo on before the long haul home? Whats some input from those more exprienced? Thanks!

2. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

If you are talking about a M1008 1-1/4 ton, it would work great. With the 4.56 gears and 235/85R16 tires they have plenty of power but leave a lot of time to get there because it will be a slow trip. An OD tranny would help out a lot.

3. joez

joez 1/2 ton status

An overdrive, or some 35's.

I would think a CUCV would make a great tow rig, but the gearing both hurts and helps. On the interstate the motor spends a lot of time at or very near the governor.

4. 1meanm1009

1meanm1009 Registered Member

Ive got a lifted m1009 ive towed with.Has 4.56 gears no OD and 36 inch tires.Tows allright but could only make it up the grape vine in CA at about 35mph.Also i installed one of the banks side winders on my other m1009 and first blew a head gasket then the rear main seal.Just through a big block in :D