Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have a rust problem(nothing new)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by NewK5Guy, Mar 2, 2001.

1. NewK5Guy

NewK5Guy 1/2 ton status

I have an 84 GMC Jimmy. I've only had it about a month and a half. The rear right between the gas filler and the talgate(that corner) is rusted out on the inside(the bed). Pretty much shot to hell. The drivers side in the same area seems ok. How much hell am I in? How much work is involved in fixing this? And with that, how much do you think a body shop would cost(hi-lo)? The other vehicle is minor and I can live with it till I can get it fixed, but I'd really like to get this rear hole fixed so the rain will stay on the outside where it belongs.

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Ah, thats a trademark trouble spot. After you get it fixed make sure to get some splash gaurds and undercoat the crap out of the trouble spot. All I can tell you is the price of the parts. If you had a really bad end like mine you can buy a new floor for $410 and filler pipe cover for $20. Its kinda drastic to replace the bed but I have to on mine. I'd just get a filler pipe cover and patch the corners. It shouldnt be too bad if you herculine the back. That way there's no painting involved. Then if you want you can put the carpet back and have proctection if moisture should get under the carpet.

Two lanes wide, twelve yards long, sixty-five tons of American pride....Canyanero!