Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have a Transmission Problem: Need Help?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by K5BLT4FUN, Jan 6, 2003.

1. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I am going to 42's with hummer wheels and a doubler setup. The blazer will be driven to the trails. I need some help choosing a transmission to run.
    I presently have a NV4500 installed with the 5.64 first gear. I also have a built 700R4 that was in the truck. Both of them can be setup for the doubler. I am concerned about transmission reliabilty, longevity, and overall performance on-road and off.
    Whats everyones opinion? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

2. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

More info is needed, like what axles and what gears?

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

If you already have the NV4500 in I'de say keep that. With that and the Doubler you should be fine I would think.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    I am concerned about transmission reliabilty, longevity, and overall performance on-road and off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reliability...NV4500 hands down, I don't care who built that 700R-4.

Longevity...see above

On road performance...the ratio split's are sorta annoying but overall it should do well and it has an overdrive so long trips would be cool.

Off-road...with a doubler either tranny will work good in my opinion. The extra low gearing means you'll prolly never need the clutch on the trail. At least with the NV4500 you don't have to worry about heat or fluid cavitation at extreme angles...

I'd go with the NV4500...but I really hate the 700R-4./forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Rene

5. K5BLT4FUN

K5BLT4FUN 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Sorry, the axles are: D60 front and 14Bff. They presently have 4.56 gears, but will be changing to 5.13's.

6. Mudzer

Mudzer 1/2 ton status Author

Layne,

As you know I currently have the SM465 with NP205. I bought my doubler kit with the idea of going Automatic. I wanted the auto for several reasons. First and foremost - I want Pam to drive more often and auto's are more "girl friendly" /forums/images/graemlins/blush.gif. Secondly, I found after owning an auto and 1/2 ton parts, I broke much more than I did with the auto. I think Manual's are harder on parts. Im going back with an auto with the doubler and will have the best of both worlds. Low gearing and no drivetrain shock.

Dont get me wrong - I love having to restart the engine on "The Wall" numerous times while the left front is 5 feet in the air and having the ability to release the clutch and crawl - just like anybody! Been there, Done that!/forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Setting reliability and longevity aside - auto's aren't all that bad. Look at the Okie Boys - they hammer auto's all day long - every weekend during a years time. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

7. blazer72

blazer72 1/2 ton status

Since we have talked I was not going to post But.... The OD in the 700R4 would be trash in the 1st 200 miles. You have the NV4500 in there and it is a much better trany than the 700, no one but you and my wife, Katia , drive your truck off road. As for the problems with drive line failing I think (OK Hope as I have the same parts) that its past you for the most part, you dont drive hard, dont get on the gas at the wrong time. If you go to the TPI then you will kill all but the biggest auto and mabey even then. Plus the heat from the converter would not be a problem. As for the Wall well I think it should have not been your 1st hill to go up. I will let you drive mine at the next club run if you like and see what your in for with the 4500/203/205 combo.

8. FWP

FWP CRS

If you have the chance to drive Blazer72's rig, that's cool. I would try it in his first, on the hardest obstacle you can think of. You may like it, may not. The only manuals I've seen do any good on 4.5+ rock trails have 200 or better crawl ratios. All the others are constantly stalling out, or rock racing over the trail /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. You probably have different terrain out there, so I'm not sure what kind of wheeling you do. As far as reliability, the auto will go first, but you have better control. It's a toss up, IMHO, but I only run rocks, no mud.... My .02, FWIW.....