Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have a transmission question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by stump_puller, Aug 24, 2004.

1. stump_puller

stump_puller 1/2 ton status

I know it has been covered before But I need to know your guys opinion on what I should do. my current 700r4 is getting very slushy when it shifts.

So what do I do?
    1. Get my current 700r4 rebuilt
    2. Put a shift kit in the 700r4 and hope for the best.
    3. I currently have a turbo 350(needs to be looked at) just swap it in and go.
    4. Spend a few dollars and get a turbo 400
    5. 4L80 out of a trans am modify to fit 4wd.

My future plans will be a 6" lift 38"TSL Radials. A gen2 doubler. D60front and rear.

Any input would be great.
    Don
    /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif

2. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Looks like a TH400 would be the best choice of the bunch

3. TrcksR4ME

TrcksR4ME 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Looks like a TH400 would be the best choice of the bunch

[/ QUOTE ]

Yepp, if your going to do a doubler I'd put in a TH400

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    So what do I do?

[/ QUOTE ]

My suggestions:
    [ QUOTE ]

1. Get my current 700r4 rebuilt - good idea especially if you like the steep 1st gear and OD
    2. Put a shift kit in the 700r4 and hope for the best. - if your tranny is already sloppy, this would probably make it worse
    3. I currently have a turbo 350(needs to be looked at) just swap it in and go. - this may put you in the same place you are with your 700
    4. Spend a few dollars and get a turbo 400 - good upgrade for strength but you loose some ont he first gear and no OD
    5. 4L80 out of a trans am modify to fit 4wd. - T/A's come with 4L60E's which is an elec. 700r4. 4l80's come in trucks. There was someone on the board that was selling rebuildable cores for around $200...

[/ QUOTE ]

Hope this helps!! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

The question is if you need overdrive. What gears with the 38's?

6. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

[ QUOTE ]

1. Get my current 700r4 rebuilt - good idea especially if you like the steep 1st gear and OD
    2. Put a shift kit in the 700r4 and hope for the best. - if your tranny is already sloppy, this would probably make it worse
    3. I currently have a turbo 350(needs to be looked at) just swap it in and go. - this may put you in the same place you are with your 700
    4. Spend a few dollars and get a turbo 400 - good upgrade for strength but you loose some ont he first gear and no OD
    5. 4L80 out of a trans am modify to fit 4wd. - T/A's come with 4L60E's which is an elec. 700r4. 4l80's come in trucks. There was someone on the board that was selling rebuildable cores for around $200...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with Mike, but I have one addition: The 4L80E is strong and has O/D, but you will have to come up with a stand-alone transmission controller for it, which is bound to be expensive and complicated. Really, the best way to swap one of these in is to take the whole engine and transmission out of a late model wreck.

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

personally i would go with a th350 sinc eit will basically fall in place of a 700r4

all up to you though andx how much you like spending money and hunting down parts that youre gonna need