Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have an oportunity to buy a 71 Blazer

Discussion in '1969-1972 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by milehighz28, Oct 6, 2002.

1. milehighz28

milehighz28 Registered Member

The body is in pretty good shape, and the drive line seems in good condition. It has a 350 in it from either a Camaro or El Camino of a similar year. What should this Blazer be worth? Are there some common defects I should look out for? Any fall backs to this generation Blazer? Thanks,

Jeff

Edit: Oh yeah, what are the emissions rules for a 71 in CO?

2. Roostr84

Roostr84 1/2 ton status

I would say the only major problems are common rust areas (Rocker panels, and rocker boxes especially). I would check these areas out first and foremost. Might as well check around the fenderwells and under the tailgate lip also. On the hardtop checkout the hinges as well. Hope this helps some.

3. swamp donkey

swamp donkey 1/2 ton status

There are a number of posts here on this very thing. One major thing is rust in the windsheild frame. Rocker panels and boxes can be replaced, but windsheild frames are a whole different ball of wax. Also watch for cracks in the frame. The area where the steering box mounts to the frame ALWAYS cracks. There are a couple reinforcements, and patch kits out there.. just be aware of it.

As far as what it's worth... no way to say. I couldn't unload my 69 ( and they are the most rare) for $2800 about six months ago. I see top notch rigs selling for $8k-$10k, driveable with some damage, in the $5k range.

4. homemadesin

homemadesin 1/2 ton status

In CO, all cars have to be emission tested when you sell them. If it is a classic, i.e. after 25 years old, you won't need to test again until you sell it. I just went through this with my '72 in Castle Rock (in the Denver Metro testing zone). I went for the classic plates with 5 year duration. I can't recall if you had to get the classic plates or not for the e-testing.....