Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have any of you ever painted your top?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by coolhandluke, Oct 25, 2001.

1. coolhandluke

coolhandluke 1/2 ton status

Have any of you ever painted your top?

Any hints?

what did you do for prep?

what kind of paint did you use?

how many coats?

how were the results?

sometimes nothing is a real cool hand

what we have here is a failure to communicate

2. newyorkin

newyorkin 1 ton status

I painted a modified top (cut in half to be a kind of cab extension). I had pictures up somewhere, but seem to have removed them for others...

Are you going to smooth it or leave it as is?

Ratch
    <a target="_blank" href=http://k5.8m.com>k5.8m.com</a>
    Welcome to America.

3. Blue85

Blue85 Troll Premium Member

You have the option of taking the texture out first.
    What you do all depends on how good you want it to look and how long you want it to last. If there is fiberglass showing after your prep work, you will need a bonding agent sprayed down first so that the paint doesn't peel.

Myself, I prefer a base/clear combo to match the paint on the rest of the truck, but that has already been argued both ways.

<font color=green>There's nothing like the smell of a rich V-8 in the morning...</font color=green>

4. DuneRunner

DuneRunner 1/2 ton status

Funny thing you ask I'm in the process of painting mine now. Just in a fight against time. What I have done so far is Sanded down the texture and filled all of the seems. w/ Bondo. Now this could be the wrong way but after working on it all summer and finally finishing the last of the sanding this weekend. It looks TITS.[​IMG]
    I put a thin layer of primer just to get an idea of what its to become. and WOW. seemless is great. I have a gal. of Tan Flat with no clear coat of any kind. I'm going for the flat look. My father is painting his J@@p top at the same time that is why I got a gal. ($70.00 total.) And if it only last a yr or two. O well for 70 bucks you cant beat that.

Good luck KEN

DANGIT it's not a bronco!

5. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I painted mine with a rattle can in Gloss Black. My topper has texture and it came out pretty good, but started flaking off within a year. i didn't clearcoat it though and t was cheap paint.

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

6. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

I thought I heard of someone getting good results with Herculiner. Has anyone done that?

John

7. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Clean it up good, scuff it up with a 3m pad (those red thingies), then just put on some flat paint with a roller.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>