Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have Blazer....Now What--

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by TallCowGirl, Jul 8, 2000.

1. TallCowGirl

TallCowGirl Registered Member

Hi Blazer Fans...I finally got to have a good look at my new 73 K-5 Blazer. It´s going to need a lot of little things done on it. For starters, the wiring and seats are a mess. If you can help with the following questions, please let me know:

(1) Where can I get a COMPLETE wiring diagram from for a 73 K5 Blazer? I need to fix the wires going to the ignition switch so that it starts when you turn the key. It´s currently hot wired with a starter button.

(2) On what point on the engine block is the negative wire from the battery supposed to go(a la from the factory)? The guy I got it from put it on the alternator bracket. That doesn´t seem right to me, but if it´s right, let me know.

(3) The truck is lifted with springs in front and riser blocks in back (mabye 1.5¨to 2¨ in height) for 35¨ x 12.50 tires. I´ve noticed rub spots on the front quad shocks. What´s a good fix for this?

(4) The truck won´t track straight going down the road and wanders. I don´t know much about steering, but from asking around, I´ve been told that I need a new steering arm. What should I get to fix the problem?

(5) Are 73-75 Blazer/Jimmy seats specific to those model years or will seats from other full size GM trucks fit?

The Haynes manual for this truck has good basic info but it is limited on specifics. These are the basic problems I need to fix on my Blazer to get it going.

Thanks,
    Diana

2. det45

det45 1/2 ton status

Sounds like you have a real project on your hands. What I would do first is try to hook up with a off road shop in your area for advice. You will find that most 4x4 nuts hang out there and would be willing to give you good advice on what you will need done. Most people in those shops can direct you to someone for advice. Also I would try to get most of your parts from a wrecking yard as long as they give you a warranty. And of course you can get a lot of info from this fourm too......Where are you located?..........Det45

3. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

(1) Where can I get a COMPLETE wiring diagram from for a 73 K5 Blazer? I need to fix the wires going to the ignition switch so that
    it starts when you turn the key. It´s currently hot wired with a starter button.
    <font color=blue>I have a Haynes pickup manual that shows a very nice ignition schematic for '81 and up. They are all very similar. I can make copies and mail or fax them....sorry no scanner.</font color=blue>
    (2) On what point on the engine block is the negative wire from the battery supposed to go(a la from the factory)? The guy I got it
    from put it on the alternator bracket. That doesn´t seem right to me, but if it´s right, let me know.
    <font color=blue>That's where my '74 ground wire is....works great.</font color=blue>
    (3) The truck is lifted with springs in front and riser blocks in back (mabye 1.5¨to 2¨ in height) for 35¨ x 12.50 tires. I´ve noticed rub
    spots on the front quad shocks. What´s a good fix for this?
    <font color=blue>You need at least 4 inches of lift for 35's......new front springs and taller blocks for the rear.</font color=blue>

(4) The truck won´t track straight going down the road and wanders. I don´t know much about steering, but from asking around, I´ve
    been told that I need a new steering arm. What should I get to fix the problem?
    <font color=blue> I'll stick to the same answer from the 2WD section.....I would take it to a front-end shop for alignment and to check for worn parts. Steering is quite important and if you don't know much about it I would seek out a shop. There are too many varibles to give an accurate "fix" without seeing it.</font color=blue>

(5) Are 73-75 Blazer/Jimmy seats specific to those model years or will seats from other full size GM trucks fit?
    <font color=blue>Just about any model Blazer seat will work and anything else can be "adapted". I got a great deal on some grey velour seats out of some little car at a wrecking yard and made them work.</font color=blue>

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

As for #1, I have a factory service manual for my '79. If they are anything similar, I too could copy and send the schematics to you. Pages and pages of them. I would suggest getting your hands on a factory service manual. They're pricey at about 80 bucks, but worth it since that's what the mechanics use. HTH

Bryan

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Mickey....Mickey...Mickey....

There is many differences between the years as far as the wiring goes...from what I can see they even changed some of the colors around. It is better to get a Chiltons or a Haynes manual specific to your year truck that will show the diagram for your truck. That way you will be assured you have the right wires and make no mistakes tracing down the wrong wires and the wrong colors.
    Just my .02...

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

6. CruisinK5

CruisinK5 1/2 ton status

You said something about a new steering arm. If the truck has been lifted you need a drop down steering arm. JcWhitney has them for about $55.

7. RaisedK5

RaisedK5 1/2 ton status

Wiring diagram? This may sound crazy but try the library, they may have the shop manual on their shelf, but you do want to get the 73 diagram, i have a 75 and a guy with a 73 stopped me on the street one day, seems he fryed his underhood harness and wanted to take a look at mine cause he pulled a harness out of a different year and whanted to see where everything went, well it turned out that his 73 my 75 and whatever year he pulled the harness out of were all different enough that both of us were confussed as hell.

the batt cable is supposed to go to the alt bracket

as for the rest i think the other guys were right on.

RaisedK5

"Friends don't let friends drive Fords"

8. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Hey Laketex did you get your service manual from Helm or dealer?

YEEEEE HAWWWWW[​IMG]

9. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Actually I got the service and the repair manuals both from a booth at the Peyton swap meet at Texas Motor Speedway. Got both for 50 bucks. The only problem is that they're originals, and being 21 years old, you've got to take care of them.

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Durant, Ok
    '79 Blazer in progress

10. MuleMaster

MuleMaster 1/2 ton status

Diana,
    as to the wiring diagram: I got a shop manual (reprint) for my '78 from http://www.chevyduty.com. It contained a complet wiring diagram. They've got it for the '73, too for $49.95.
    Hope this helps!
    CU
    MuleMaster

<font color=blue>K5 Blazer...because size DOES matter
    http://projectmule.coloradok5.com</font color=blue>

11. Steve_87K5

Steve_87K5 1/2 ton status

check out http://www.painlesswiring.com/
    They sell wiring harnesses for
    exact replacement fit. My '80K5 was
    all over the road 'til I put in new ball joints,
    about $110 less labor.

SteveB

12. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

You're right Eagle about different colors and such. I guess I was being too general. But, the overall ignition circuits are very similar. I sometimes forget that wiring is a big mystery to lots of folks......not that I'm smarter or anything, it's just that I've messed with wires for about 30 years now. I think everyone's advice to pick up a year model specific manual is a good idea if ya don't have lots of experience tinkerin'. Sorry if I lead anyone astray.

13. Blazer79

Blazer79 1/2 ton status

For your wandering problem, ask an alignment shop to check your tie-rod ends and upper and lower ball-joints, and of course, align it.

73-87 Blazers have the tendency to crack the frame near the steering box. This could also be part of the problem. http://www.offroaddesign.com and Moose sell a repair kit for this.

Hope this helps.

<font color=blue>//////
    http://blazer79.coloradok5.com
    </font color=blue>[​IMG]

14. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

You need a 4" lift at least to clear 35s and the guy probably put the quad shocks on because they weren't available until like '82. He could have put them on wrong which would explain the rubbing. You can change the seats out easily and you could get newer seats from a newer Chevy truck

15. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Micheal ,

You did not lead anyone astray...you were trying to help just like the rest for which you should be commended. My guess is someday we will meet at one of these things and bore the heck out of these folks talking bout electrical/electronic maladies. A day I look forward too.
    Thanks for helping Brother. And if I call you Mikey...it is because I have this mental pic ..."Give it to Mikey he will eat anything..."hehehehehehehehehehehehehe

<font color=green>[​IMG]Eagle86K5[​IMG]<font color=red>
    Masonry...It's a Good Thing
    2B1ASK1

16. Bruiser

Bruiser 1/2 ton status

Wandering driveing down road

Check the frame where the steering box connects to it and make sure they have welded it up and added the necessary braces. If there isn't any there check for cracks on the frame, I found that mind wandered real bad and had play, my steering box was about to break of my frame, my be an important fix if it isn't fixed yet.

Vincent Michels
    1978 Blazer
    Bruiser (Frost white/Black top/ Light Blue interior)

17. Laurie

Laurie Registered Member

No suggestions to your questions but you came to the right place. These guys and gals have been so helpful and a great source of info. Have definitly saved $$$ by asking questions and reading about other peoples problems.

Good Luck.

18. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

If your tires appear to be rubbing on the shocks, it sounds like it's a width problem w/the tire...not height. If it is that the tire is too wide, you could either purchase new rims w/different backspacing or buy spacers...or just live with it. I have an 89 w/35/12.50's & 4" of lift and i get mild rubbage of the front fenders under pretty good twist.

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

19. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Ray, thanks for the kind words.....I know us "sparky" guys always have a good plan in mind .....we just get confusing(confused?) sometimes. I get the "Mikey" deal allot.....he came about the time everyone was getting nick-names and I will eat most anything!!
    TallCowGirl.....I have this picture of a tall cow......anyway, let us know if we can help with the wiring....I can go look at my '74 and make ya sketch of all the important stuff so you can start with a key.