Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have I become Scrooge?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by mountainexplorer, Dec 20, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

Christmas used to be my pivotal Holiday of the year. I used to look forward to it like nothing else. I used to spend hours putting up lights and getting stuff set up.

I still know what the true meaning of Christmas is (according to my beliefs), but I find myself almost bittered at the media hype of it all. Gifts are good and all, but I see so many people spending so much money on utterly useless stuff. Of course I understand the concept of "It's the thought that counts". I know so many people that will just about get killed if they dare think about investing a dollar into a vehicle when $500 gets spent on trinkets and candy.

Still, I find myself telling people in a monotone voice "Don't buy anything for me or else." I don't mind giving useful gifts, but I'm bad at shopping for what people can use or want, and its so much simpler for me to say "Dont buy me anything and I wont buy you anything". Logical, cause everything remains fair, but rather Scrooge-ish.

What happened to me? Has logic replaced my holiday spirit?

I know it'll change when I get married and have kids. Though my wife will probably divorce after our first Christmas...

Me: "Honey, I'm buying you a K30 for Christmas"

Her: "WHAT!!!?"

Me: "But it's got a big block and a Dana 60! And I'm getting the kids a couple parts rigs."

Her hand: "-Slap-"

Me: "What was that for? They'll even fit under the tree... well the tree in the side yard, cause thats the only place left to park them all"

Her fist against my face: "-Crunch-"

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Anymore I try too give gifts of what I think someone will like. I set a dollor amount, rack my brain for what that person might like, and go to Ebay for my shopping.

3. Capman2k

Capman2k 3/4 ton status

I can't say I've ever spent over $100 on Christmas... Ever... Until this year, because I bought some cool stuff for my neice... She's going to freak out when she sees the toys I bought her at Toys R Us :D :cool:

I used to not like Christmas for the simple fact that everyone expects to get stuff... But I just keep in mind what it's all really about... We can't give Jesus a present for his birthday, but we can give someone else a gift in his place, and I'm cool with that :)... However, it is a little out of hand at times... My mom is one who LOVES Christmas, and I don't know how we have a house and food on the table with all the stuff she buys between gifts, decorations, and stuff she buys throughout the year on QVC and such... And very few things she buys on credit :confused:

Anyway, that's my side of the story... I just get little things that'll last forever for people... It doesn't break my checkbook, and I get the warm fuzzy feeling of giving instead of buying stuff for myself for a change.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

i've always set a limit of about $50 on gifts i buy for others, and i only have to buy 6 gifts. this year, in addition to the 6 gifts, i've decided to do something a little special.

my best friend recently left her husband (yes, my best friend is female, and she can turn a mean wrench too) 2 weeks ago. money is a little tight for her right now, and she was pretty down about only being able to spare around $50 to spend on her 2 1/2 year old son, while her husband went "all out". ever since i can remember, my family has always done something to help someone less fortunate than us, or someone who is just on hard times. i had been considering doing something like this on my own this year, but never came across an opportunity that grabbed my by the heart and told me that i should help. hearing the disapointment in her voice last week was it, i finally found my opportunity. we're going out on Thursday night to go shopping. she doesnt yet know what we're going out for, just that its a surprise. cant wait to see the look on her face when i finally tell her what i'm up to.

5. mudjunkie 82

mudjunkie 82 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I think with Christmas the true meaning of it has been lost along time ago at the malls.I remember as a Young Child it ment looking forward to getting together with your Family and loved ones for a day of celibration of Christ's Birthday. sure you exchanged gifts but the best part was just being together with people you cared about. Now it is so Commercialized I do not think many people sit back and Think what this day is really all about..........IN most peoples mind it is a day to Shop................................................................................................