Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have power but nothing coming out

Discussion in 'Communication (CB | GPS | HAM)' started by Pure Insanity, Aug 31, 2002.

1. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

I dont know squat about CBs other than how to use them. Mine has power and lites up but nothing comes out of it. I dont recall off hand what make and model it is. My buddy gave it to me, and I know it worked in his Bronco. BUT he rolled the Bronco 4-5 times at high speed. Not sure if something broke in it or what. (He walked away w/ just a broken wrist BTW....Lucky bastard!) I am going on a trail ride tommorow and would like to have it if possible. If not maybe next ride.

2. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

I've gotta ask the dumb questions, so please bear with me. (1) Is the coax pluged into the back of the CB ??? (2) If equiped with a PA switch, is it set for CB, or PA ??? (3) Is squelch turned up to high ??? (4) If it has RF gain controle, is it turned all the way up or has it been turned to low ??? Those are some comman things I can think of off the top of my head. Wish I could be more helpfull. What make and model ???

3. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Also make sure that the microphone is plugged into the radio. The speaker circuit goes through the mic, which switches the speaker off when you push-to-talk. Without the mic to complete the circuit, you'll get no sound.

4. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

That doesn't seem to be the case in some of the radios I have anyway... Can hear just fine without a mic hooked up... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif The speaker circuit is normally closed and remains that way until the mic button is pressed to open speaker circuit and close transmit circuit... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

All the radios I've had would appear to be dead until I plugged in the mic. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

6. The_Sandman_454

The_Sandman_454 1/2 ton status

What sort of radios you got? I've had TR-966, Uniden 510, and Ranger 2950dx... Both ranger products will receive without the mic, and I don't recall if the Uniden would or not but if I recall it does... /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

7. bigblueblazer

bigblueblazer Registered Member

hmm have we forgotten operater failure hehehehehehe

8. Pure Insanity

Pure Insanity 1/2 ton status

Thanks yall. When I got out away from my house It worked. Must be dead air sapce at my house. It wasnt working good, but it was working. In fact FL84K5s handheld was better than mine, and I couldnt transmit to him standing 6 feet away from my antenna. I think it just got hurt in the roll. It was a REAL bad roll. The CB and the radio was all that was salvageable from it. And it seems like the CB is a goner. Im going to play w/ it some more before I give up but I think its just done.