Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have some ?'s...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by speedyvision917, May 6, 2004.

1. speedyvision917

speedyvision917 1/2 ton status

Have some ?\'s...

ok im fairely new to the offroading world and about 6 months ago i bought an 88 GMC jimmy fullsize. as of now only thing ive had done is a new alternator, battery, extended break lines in the front, and calipers. in the future i will be lifting it and putting some new tires on. so my first question is, with the stock axles(10 bolt) etc. will it be safe to run 35x12.5 or 35x14,5 tires? ive herd mixed thoughts and seen a blazer in my town run 39.5x18 inch tires with stock axles but then break when wheelin. Also if i were to run 35s with the stock axles is there anything i could do to help "beef up" the strength to reduce the chance of breaking them? I would replace them if i had a better place than a dirt driveway, and all the required tools to do it but i dont. Lastly if i were to get it done aprox how much would it cost if i had the axles? any comments or tips will be greatly apreciated

2. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

Re: Have some ?\'s...

Welcome, stick around long enough and your questions will be answered over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

just watch,,,, /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

35's will be alright with stock 10 bolts, wouldn't really go much higher if you plan on wheelin it much, sure you can run bigger tires, but the chance of breakage is greater with them.

4. speedyvision917

will the 35x14.50s be to big??? i was looking at the radial SSR's, and a 4 inch lift should be enough right??? because i put my freinds 33in mud terrains on the front of my truck which is stock hieght and they fit fine with no rubbing

5. 4xcrazy

4xcrazy 3/4 ton status

I think the 14.5's might be a bit much, maybe ok for driving around town, but you will get a lot of fender rub off road, actually you will get some fender rub with 35x12.5 so you may be lookin at either fender trimming, or higher lift.

Why 14.5's?

6. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

Wider tires also put strain on the ball joints and bearings. You will rub the inner fender fully stuffed with 33's and 4 inch lift on passengers side with swaybar disconnected. 35's may rub with swaybar on, sounds cool when you do, I haven't noticed any damage, its a slight rub /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

7. speedyvision917

why 14.5s... not sure exactly good question just thought since i cant go higher go wider... but it looks like ill be goin with a 4in or 6in and 35x12.5s, also is it worth gettin lockers for the 10 bolt or should i save up to get new axles???

8. SF87K5

SF87K5 1/2 ton status

I would not get lockers for the stock axles, save your money for stronger axles.

First were are you from, you never know someone from the board might live close to you and can help you do the axle swap when you get them.

9. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    ok im fairely new to the offroading world and about 6 months ago i bought an 88 GMC jimmy fullsize. as of now only thing ive had done is a new alternator, battery, extended break lines in the front, and calipers. in the future i will be lifting it and putting some new tires on. so my first question is, with the stock axles(10 bolt) etc. will it be safe to run 35x12.5 or 35x14,5 tires? ive herd mixed thoughts and seen a blazer in my town run 39.5x18 inch tires with stock axles but then break when wheelin. Also if i were to run 35s with the stock axles is there anything i could do to help "beef up" the strength to reduce the chance of breaking them? I would replace them if i had a better place than a dirt driveway, and all the required tools to do it but i dont. Lastly if i were to get it done aprox how much would it cost if i had the axles? any comments or tips will be greatly apreciated

[/ QUOTE ] I bought my 3/4 ton axles (D44 front with 8 lugs / 14 bolt FF rear) for $250.00 so look around, you can find them cheap.

10. az-k5

az-k5 1/2 ton status

You can go 8 lug 3/4 ton and upgrade the front if you want bigger than 35's/37's in the future. Or you can keep the 1/2 ton and use cromoly rear axle shafts (about $100 ea) and be just fine if you are 35" or smaller (you can do it on 37's but are back in the "iffy" range).

11. speedyvision917

i live in CT, and are the cromoloy axle shafts worth it if i cant find new axles??? also what do u mean i can go with a 8lug 3/4 and upgrade the front??? u mean get the rear first then get a new front later???

12. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    i live in CT, and are the cromoloy axle shafts worth it if i cant find new axles??? also what do u mean i can go with a 8lug 3/4 and upgrade the front??? u mean get the rear first then get a new front later???

[/ QUOTE ] Makes more sence to me to get a set of complete axles from a wrecked K20. Matched gears.

13. speedyvision917

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] Makes more sence to me to get a set of complete axles from a wrecked K20. Matched gears.

[/ QUOTE ]

good idea...ill keep my eyes open

14. Okiemuddog

Okiemuddog 1/2 ton status

Keep your eyes open on the for sale forum, I just sold a set of set of axles. I had a 3/4 10B with a locktire locker and a 14bff with a gov-lock both with 4.10's for $450. The deals are out there, just have to be looking /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif