Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

have the money, help me buy..please

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by supersize75, Dec 11, 2002.

1. supersize75

supersize75 1/2 ton status

heres the deal in short....

gears......

1) buy used/ new, wheres the cheapest
    2) $550.00 4.88 with new ring,pinion,instal kit and carrior to my door from 4wheelpartwholesellers.
    3) 4.88 or 5.88's herd the 5.88's are 20% weaker.
    4) Or buy locker & gears for rear and do front in 1 month.
    5) Looking at the Quick Lok so far start at $283 for the rear 12 bolt.

Any ideas on brands/companies?
    I run a mild 396 CBB a 400 trany with a 203 and 38.5 TSL's 12 bolt rear, danna 44 front.

In the last 18 months I've changed tire sizes three time and ditched the 10 bolt front and rear, good, then got a 12 bolt rear and dana 44 up front, beter, but 3.73 gears and no locker sucks, since this is a drive way ormament for so long I want it done. Got the cash but need buying help, and yes I'm obsessed with blazers and know/ think I know alot so I have a general idea but not to shure what to get yet. /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

Any one selling this stuff let me know, uh soon too.

To make things more complicated I called a yard today that said any axel out of a full size is only $150 complete /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif I'm goin this weekend to verify, I'll let ya'll know!

2. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

My oponion, whit what you are running I would just get a set of 1 ton axles. If you wheel it, the bigblock and 38's are just going to be hard on 1/2 ton stuff.

3. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

I agree... if you lock the front up, with stock stuff... you WILL break something... dana 44 and locker with power and big tires = BOOM! /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif

And the 12 bolt will be right behind it!!!/forums/images/graemlins/deal.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif

4. reddog64

reddog64 1/2 ton status

Oh and steve (coloradok5) sells all that stuff.. pm him, coloradok5 he can usually beat 4wpw on most stuff... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. mudhog

mudhog THEGAME Staff Member Super Moderator

don't wast your money on gears and lockers for half ton stuff /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif with the cbb and 38's all your going to do is break the front and rear axle's if you wheel it /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

6. Sandman

Sandman 3/4 ton status Author

If I could do it all over again, I would have gone with the heavier axles from the begining. It would have saved mucho money. You can pick up a 14 bolt rear and put a detroit in it for the same cost for a detroit for a 12 bolt.

7. Chaz88K5

Chaz88K5 1/2 ton status

not to contradict what everyone is sayin...but i am anyway ...you dont need 1 ton..it all depends on how you wheel or what you are goin to be doin with it..if you just take it easy you should be alright without breaking..you may break a axle or 2 every once and awhile...but thats all part of the fun.....if you like playin in the rocks then i would prob go one ton...but if you are just in the sand/mud or just some mild hill climbs or things like that 1/2 ton should be just fine

8. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Obviously, 1 ton axles would be your best bet, but 3/4 ton axles will save ya some money. If you look hard enough, you can find some 3/4 ton axles with 4:56 gears in them. Don't know if that'll be low enough for your needs, but if it is /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif I paid only $250 for my 3/4 axles /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif So they're out there. I plan on a Detroit Locker for my 14 Bolt FF, but I'm not going to mess with the Dana 44. If I ever luck out and find a Dana 60 at a price I can afford, I'll then think about a ARB air locker for up front.

9. TheLakeRat

TheLakeRat 1/2 ton status

I'll have to agree with Chaz, while 1 ton axle are beefy and usually bullet proof. they aren't always necessary. i wheel for a long time with 3/4 ton stuff and is held up fairly well. Hell after i put the CTM joins and warn shafts in it i never broke again.

10. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    if you just take it easy

[/ QUOTE ]

kinda defeats the purpose of big block and 38s doesnt it?

I guess he could go dana 28 up front

11. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I agree conpletely. But a Dana 30 would be stronger /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

Will

12. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

might give up an 1/8 ground clearance tho

maybe a 'super' 35

13. supersize75

I plan on jumping my junk so I decided to find 3/4 or if cheap 1-ton /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif, check out my new pic in web shots /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

14. m j

m j 1/2 ton status

suspension is more important then axle type for jumping.
    if you bottom out the suspension violently you will break something.

3/4 and 1/2 axles are virtually the same thing up front

15. supersize75

holly crap, I have come a long way, thanks guys, since my "how do ya tell if its a 14 bolf ff" days I now have a 14 bolt ff rear and did the 8 lug conversion to the front, and to top it off I even have a rear drive shaft /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif