Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have to change both axles at the same time?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 79Guy, Aug 23, 2000.

1. 79Guy

79Guy 1/2 ton status

I'd like to upgrade my 10bolt and 12bolt to a D44 and 14FF. I would like to get gears for larger tires. Can't really afford to do everything at the same time.

What happens if I don't have same gears front and rear. Does it cause big problems? Can I upgrade one axle now, and another in a few months? Or do I need to just wait till I can do it both.

'79 Guy
    1 Blazer - 7 Children
    http://79guy.coloradok5.com

2. 89Jimmy

89Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Seperate is OK. Just don't put 'er in 4wd.
    John

So Much to do, So LITTLE cash.

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Separate is going to be O.K.. If you have full time 4wd then leave the front driveshaft off until you complete the transplant. Or collect all the parts you're gonna need first and then have a swap orgy when you have it all. [​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

Find a 3/4 ton in the junk yard. If you look in the glove box many times it lists the gear. I got one I'm looking at that has 3.73 gears and I got the guy down to $500 for both in about one breath. I figure If I wave cash I can get both for $400. May take a lot of looking but there are deals to be had. Also check you local paper and auto traders. Sometimes you will find trucks with blown engines cheap and you can strip them for the parts you want then sell orr parts and usualy you can make money if you can stand looking at the mess for a while.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/