Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have we discussed...

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by ryoken, Mar 31, 2006.

1. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Scientology?

Your thoughts, opinions?

edit/ damn, brainfart, just realized this is considered a religion by believers... Mods, if you feel the need, delete...

2. gauder

gauder Banned

Mr. Hubbard was a genious. Look at all the rich that he duped out of their money.

3. shewheeler

shewheeler 1/2 ton status

Is that a religion? If so, it's stupid :haha: :haha: :whistle: :p:

4. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

C'mon now, how could Tom Cruise be wrong? :rolleyes:

5. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Wow. Tom Cruise reference, this really has been gay weekend for CK5.:D

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

I don't know anything about it at all, but with all of the hollywood actors that are followers (is that the correct term) it has got to be a bit off of the mainstream track. Someone lay it out.

7. Cricket

Cricket 3/4 ton status

Every 40 plus year old man should be sleeping with a girl his daughters age who is pregnant with Ron L Hubbards frozen sperm.

8. ryoken

haha, I'm sorry if I made this sound serious.. My luck, a believers gonna come in and be all offended.. :doah: :haha:

I just spent some time reading up on some of the details and ummm, yeah, whacked beyond belief... :haha:

9. gauder

gauder Banned

Picture a "religion" founded by a failed Science Fiction Writer. Need I say more?

10. mofugly13

mofugly13 1 ton bucket of rust Premium Member

South Park laid it all out really well, Isaac Hayes quit 'cause of that episode, and they will never air it on tv again. "Come out of the closet, Tom! Why won't you come out?!"

11. cbbr

If I could figure out how to work that tax exempt status you would all be members of the CK5Loungeology.

12. ryoken

heres the anti site I was reading up at... http://www.xenu.net/

Descendents of aliens, blah, blah, blah..

funny thing is, Dave, the other glass guy at Bluewater knew Tom Cruise back in the day.. :haha: And after his recent couch dancing episodes I can see what a mentally stable guy he is... :eek1:

13. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

I actually liked the movie with Vinie Bobarino.

14. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

The movie sucked ass, the book was actually pretty good. Hubbard was a decent sci-fi writer, horrible theologian. I've done some reading myself on the religion and it is really nutty. Hubbard was a big scam artist back in the day too, if I remember correctly he had some ties to Anton LaVey at the inception of the satanist church too.

15. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Here's a little on this prolific grifter:

A Reader's Digest article of May 1980 quoted Hubbard as saying in the 1940s "Writing for a penny a word is ridiculous. If a man really wants to make a million dollars, the best way would be to start his own religion."

In a 1983 interview, L. Ron, Jr. said "according to him and my mother" he was the result of a failed abortion and recalls at six years old seeing his father performing an abortion on his mother with a coat hanger. In the same interview, he said "Scientology is a power-and-money-and-intelligence-gathering game" and described his father as "only interested in money, sex, booze, and drugs".

And here we go, not LaVey, but Aleister Crowley:

One controversial aspect of Hubbard's early life revolves around his association with Jack Parsons, an aeronautics professor at Caltech and an associate of the British occultist Aleister Crowley. Hubbard and Parsons were allegedly engaged in the practice of ritual magick in 1946, including an extended set of sex magick rituals called the Babalon Working, intended to summon a goddess or "moonchild." (Among occultists today, it is widely accepted Hubbard derived a large part of 'Dianetics' from Golden Dawn occult ideas such as the Holy Guardian Angel.) The Church insists Hubbard was a US government intelligence agent on a mission to end Parsons' magickal activities and to "rescue" a girl Parsons was "using" for magical purposes. Critics dismiss these claims as after-the-fact rationalizations. Crowley recorded in his notes that he considered Hubbard a "stupid lout" who made off with Parsons' money and girlfriend in an "ordinary confidence trick." Discussions of these events can be found in the critical biographies

16. chevyfumes

chevyfumes Court jester

17. gauder

gauder Banned

It's also theorized that he had his homoghay son silenced for good. He was so embarassed by him.

18. Resurrection_Joe

Resurrection_Joe 1 ton status

Can Can raised all rules. He's no longer at the riot line, he's on the roof with a rifle. Case by case I take it.

19. cbbr

That appears to be correct, but with a very few exceptions everyone hasbeen very well behaved.

20. docgab

docgab 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Of course not!! He's a celebrity!! I mean don't you all listen when they use their fame to tell you how to vote re:presidents and other inportant social isuues?? Am I the only sheep...er..person who thinks that celebrities are smarter than me?!!?! :rolleyes: lol Damn I almost called myself a sheep, that's all I need is bubba knocking on my door! :D