Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have you done this???

Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by Smurfmobile85, Apr 3, 2002.

1. Smurfmobile85

Smurfmobile85 1/2 ton status

Looking for information on the best replacement for carpeting in the Smurfmobile from the middle seat forward. It is my daily driver and family car so I don't want it too loud, but the mud from last month smells terrible, won't dry out and I'm gonna yank it out to prevent the floor from rusting through. Any experience to relay, good or bad, would be great. I don't really want carpet again especially for what it costs and what the kids and wheelin' do to it anyway.

THNX
    Deana

2. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

well, there's a few options on what you can do for carpeting/floor covering. the first, and generaly more expensive option is to buy the Rubber floormat that belongs in the custom deluxe edition of the suburban. being hte bottom of the line model, they didn't put carpet in the front area, they put a thick rubber moulded floormat in, over a thick horsehair insulative/sound deadening pad. they run about 300-400 from the dealer, but instalation will be pretty much a snap, since its molded to the floors contours already. you'll just have to pull the front and middle benches out, rip out the carpet, check your floor pans for rust, and take preventative action against any that's appeared, then put the new mat down on the floor, bolt the seats back down, and get some 5 dollar `disposable floor mats' from your local pep boys or wherever, and throw them in. the main advantage to the rubber flooring is simple: if you get mud on it, someone spills icecream/ceareal/slopy joes/etc, you can open the doors throw garbage bags over the seats, and hit the floors with a garden hose.

the next option is an OEM carpet kit from the dealer. it'll run about the same as the rubber floormat ( LMC truck sells them for about 200, and local upholstery shops could probably do it for 150) it'll be the same basic carpet as your truck came with stock, except that it'llbe clean, and mud free.

the other option is the one I took in my 73, which needed carpeting pretty badly. down here in AZ, one of the local universety's has a surplus warehouse that they sell old campus junk from. once every few months, rolls of spare unused Dorm carpeting appear for sale, at prices like 30 bucks for a 12x8 roll (enough to completely do the front and rear floor of a suburban. this is not just any carpeting, its carpeting designed to survive partying college kids for several years. its standard commercial small loop on top, but the bottom is a 1/2 inch thick rubber pad, which is what makes it so indestructable. its also quite sound deadening with the thick rubber layer, and somewhat insulative. since its not formed to the contours of your vehicle, you've got to make releif cuts in it to make it fit, and tape the cuts together so that they aren't nearly as apparemt. you also need to punch holes in it for the seatbelt bolts, possibly the seat bolts themselves, and for the T case shifter. most of the relief cuts you make will be under the front seat, where they won't be seen anyway, and a few along the edges of the front seat pedestal. I'll have to get pictures of my carpeting in the K20 online and let you see what the carpeting looks like.

-Rich

3. Smurfmobile85

Thanks for the info... I actually read it right after you posted it, but was outta time and forgot to thank you!

I do have another question. We have the lovely undersized ladder rack (luggage rack) and I want it gone! Any tried and true methods for plugging the holes? Rubber grommets, neoprene screws, smurf stuff (ha ha), silly-cone...? It will be coming off soon, it's not exactly stock shape anymore. /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Deana

PS Thanks in advance!!

4. Ddragggon

Ddragggon 1/2 ton status

well, thereare several methods for plugging small holes in the roof. if you ( or a friend ) is any good at welding, its possible to weld the holes shut, grind/sand them smooth, then hit them with a shot of primer, and then a close color of paint ( since its the roof, few people will ever see it... ) since few people fall directly into that category, the next option is somesort of epoxy. get somenice and thick stuff mixed together, then from inside the truck, force it up through the hole. if you put a piece of packing tape on the exterior of the truck over the holes, then the epoxy should be confined to the holes only. after the initial set timefor the epoxy, remove the tape on the exterior of the hole, and remove any excess epoxy before it can finish solidifying. if the epoxy/JB wled mixture is kinda thin, then push the stuff up into the hole, then get some wide packing tape to hold the epoxy in place inside the truck while it solidifies. (make a large X with the center over the epoxy filled hole(s) ) that ought to hold basicaly forever, but can be harder to work with, and not destroy the exterior finish.

silicon `snot' would be the next and probably the simplest option ( asidefrom putting duct tapeover the holes on the inside, and ignoring the outside) spoo the silicon snot on the affected area, alow to dry, and its done. it prolly won't hold forever, and if you ever want to paint it, you should try a more permanentmethod, but it'll work for now.

good luck,
    -Rich

5. Smurfmobile85

I was wondering how to get epoxy to stay in the holes! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I'll probably try that one. Thanks again!

Deana

6. Smurfmobile85

It\'s gone!

The luggage rack is gone! I took it off yesterday while we had the headliner out to re-glue it. Hubby decided to put the epoxy on from the outside and I didn't get he tape in place on the inside fast enough and we ended up with a little JB Weld on the seats and carpet. /forums/images/icons/blush.gif That's okay though, I had enough elbow grease to get it off in time. Now the Smurfmobile is going to need a few more inches of lift... it looks shorter! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif Oh well! I guess it's better that it looks shorter instead of looking like it's missing it's running boards! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif Removed the sway bar completely and cut the leaf brackets and now our 35's rub the inner fender at the top! Need to do a little trimming, get a bigger lift, or get a body lift! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif Just gonna keep vaccuuming the dry mud out of the carpet until we buy the vinyl kit for it. Found a molded firewall to tailgate kit for the same price as the full molded carpet kit! Thanks for all the feedback.

Deana

7. Smurfmobile85

Another ?

Here we go again! Another question I haven't found an answer to.

Is there a way to connect the 14bff e-brake cable that runs back on both sides to my existing 85 e-brake cable setup that "Y"s at the driver side rear? Or am I gonna have to change it over? HELP!

Deana