Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have you done your paintjob yourself?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Sammy, Jun 19, 2001.

1. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

I was just wondering who of you guys and girls painted your rig yourself. And if so, how. I'm looking to do it myself. Paintshops over here seem to want to get their companies income for the rest of the year on my rig alone.

"1988 K5 Grand GT Blazer Silverado in the Netherlands."

2. AussieK5

AussieK5 1/2 ton status

I've done a couple of my vehicles and I'm in the middle of doing a fix up on my 73 K5 (just about ready for colour).I'm all self taught after playing around with street cars and what I've found is it is fairly labour intensive to get a good paint job, don't expect to get a quality job the first time unless your real patient. Include in your costs good how to books, beer for buddies when rubbing back, body filler, a decent compressor, spray gun/s, airline, masks, sandpaper, tape, paint stripper, thinners, prep solutions, primer, 3-6lt of paint (margin for mistakes and type of job), maybe a litre or two of clear, buffing compound, buffer and alot time and elbow grease. That said its still cheaper to DIY, your left with some cool tools for your workshop and a fair amount of pride in your rig. You just have to be patient enough to keep trying until you get it right. I'd reccomend having a go to anyone who has half a brain and can keep sight of the end goal. Good luck.

3. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

I Helped a bud do it once. Big thing is prep. If the body isn't right you going to have problems. Best thing to do is go find a book on painting and body work.
    Next thing is you AIR has to be right. A single drop of moisture gets in the gun and you screwed. Invest in a good dryer or 2. Put the first one at the tank then mount a second one in line with at least 25ft of line between them. He just bolts dryer #2 too a saw horse with a 50ft hose beetween them coiled up. This gives the air a chance to cool and condinsate so the second dryer can catch the rest. A decent gun is a must also. Even with these things it's still cheaper than paying somebody.
    There is a technique to laying the paint. You got to get the air going before you make a pass and start the paint just before you get to the body. Nice smooth motion as you go. If your not smooth you can lay down too much paint and get a run. Usually best to do 2 light coats then one coat trying to get full coverage.
    Now the way my buddy does it is in the driveway early in the morning before any dust gets kicked up. He waters down the drive so he doesnt kick up dirt as he walks around the vehicle. Then we push it in the garage to cure some so no dust settles on it. When it's mostly dry to the touch where dust will not stick he rolls it out in the sun and lets it bake.
    He also doesn't go for a perfect coat. Just a perfectly even coat. Little imperfections like dust and orange peal he wet sand out . Gets it nice and smooth then lays down some clear coat and wet sands again. usualy 2-3 clears and then finishes up with the high speed buffer working his way down with coumpounds till it is a mirror finish.
    How does it come out?
    Truck usualy takes first or second most shows it is entered.

It's not my damn planet monkey boy!
    Grim-Reaper

4. Batmanjr

Batmanjr 1/2 ton status

I agree with everything Stephen says, but two things. First, I've got the tools and I've painted two vehicles already. Let me tell you that, if your going for first in show and you haven't painted yet, good luck. The hardest part is the prep. period! It take 95% of your time in painting and if your not one for sanding like myself, that 95% draws out for a long time. Second and more important!!!!!!!! I don't know where most of you live, or how friendly your neighbors are. (If you have any!) But the painting outside thing got me in deep [censored]. Fist i live in a white trash neighborhood in north Austin and when I did my painting outside, my Christian family across the street called the EPA on me! (I have nothing against Christians!) They came out three times over a course of a month and a half to make sure I wasn't painting outside, running my own buisness out of my garage, spilling Tranny fluid on the drive, and all sorts of [censored]. All I'm warning is to be careful and don't asume that if your neighbors aren't cumplainers that nothing will happen. They did let me in on one interesting secret, if it's yours and it's in your garage, then they can't say anything about it, no matter what you're doing! So my advice, is too clean out the garage thoroughly, Lay up plastic on tings you care about, WET DOWN THE FLOOR AND HANG A WET BLANKET!, and take your time with the prep work, goes it sucks!
    Just my .02

5. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

I'm kinda learning the ropes of body work... but I have already figure out... DON"T TRY AND GO FAST [​IMG] LOL. If I had a dollar for everytime I tried to do something and save a couple minutes... then spending 3 hours to fix it.... Plus paint and primer need some time to dry obviously. Rust is a PIA up here in the midwest so that adds to the labor. Maybe do all the body work you can and hang all the new metal you can.... then strip off the lights door handles, bumpers, etc etc... do as much prep as you can and strip off anything in the way and it will save you money.

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm>http://www.geocities.com/milnerlives_2000/blazer.htm</A>

6. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

hah! I'll vouch for the not turning out perfect your first time. Me and a bud painted my truck. It has a lot of texture to it which I'll attribute to too much air. Now, at our defense, I'd say that we had a bad pressure regulator on the gun. The body workj turned out good except for a few spots. Next time I go to paint something, I'll know what not to do and hopefully save myself some time. We tore down the truck, did the body work and taped and spot everything in 3 days... [​IMG] But at least I can say I did it.

-BuSH
    I'm a dislectic agnostic. I believe in a higher being, his name is DOG. [​IMG]

7. muddin4fun

muddin4fun 3/4 ton status

I'm gonna paint my truck. But, I have a freind who is very good at body work and painting who has access to all the painting goodies including a booth. So, I'll be learning from him. I've played with spray can paint, but that's about it.

<font color=purple>Have you hugged your K5 today?</font color=purple>

8. elkboy

elkboy 1/2 ton status

I did mine in Herculiner ina a weekend. I day of sanding with 60 grit, fiberglassing the rust, cleaning and masking. One day of rolling on the paint LOL. Actualy, painting is the easy part, gettting the prep work done is 95% of it. I've preped, but never painted a car, You can usually find someone to shoot the color fairly cheap if you do all the prep.

<font color=red> Elkboy </font color=red> 82 K5 fuel injected H.O.305, TH350/205, 14bolt/10bolt and 39.5 TSL's.

9. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

Prep, Prep, Prep, Prep, and masking. Then, as Grimmy said, perfect air. Add a few hundred tack rags, a truckload of sandpaper, some more prep work, and you should be in pretty good shape. And always remember the third law of painting - If you don't want overspray on it, take it off.

I'm so poor I can't even pay attention [​IMG]
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>http://pugsley.alloffroad.com</A>

10. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

My truck needs paint big time on one side and the tailgate. The local shops here in Dallas want around $1,000 to give it a decent paint job. So, after reading this stuff, I am considering doing it myself. When are you gonna paint yours? Maybe I can use you to learn from first! Especially since you are in my neck of the woods.

85 GMC Jimmy, 305 w/TH700-NP208, 32X11.5 BFG ATs, 15x10 Eagles, Smittybuilt tube nerf bars and bumbers

11. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

I did! Did it in 96 in a highschool automotive class....Hardest part for me was shooting the clear coat. I have a couple of runs,and some paint chip's.But it's all good...Prep is the key!

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda>http://community.webshots.com/user/vwryda</A>

12. Sammy

Sammy 1/2 ton status

Well as soon as I can find a place where I can fit the rig in, it's going to happen. Just hope I made up my mind to the sceme by that time.

"1988 K5 Grand GT Blazer Silverado in the Netherlands."

13. kwcdawgfan

kwcdawgfan Registered Member

Several of you mention in your post about reading up on painting first... Are there any books that you recommend.... For prep work and painting

14. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

I did a $40 primer camo job in gray, black and white and it's cool looking... get lots of looks! Best of all I scratch it and I simply spray over it.... [​IMG]

"Suck Fumes Ford Boy"
    "I love my country, I fear my government"
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</A>

15. Redfrog

Redfrog 1/2 ton status

Im painting my rig I about a month or so and have already started prep lets see.. new fenders,doors,filler panel,rockers,tailgate, a A$$ load of sand paper
    and one family member that has painted for a long time :&gt;)

HEY Fords!!! how many flushes does it
    take to get rid of you

16. ftn96

ftn96 1/2 ton status

My dads a body/painter man. And I personally have watched and helped him paint well over 300 cars. Most of what all you all are saying is right on. The biggest question is what kind of result are you looking for? Are you wanting just a fresh color coat, are you changing colors, are you wheelin all the time, do you find yourself be scrapped by trees, are you going to try and show the truck.... Take all these into consideration.
    #1 Prep work is a must if you want a real slick smooth looking finish.
    #2, taping it up, long tedious process. USE GOOD 3M tape. Dont use no crap no name brand.
    #3. Watering down the floor is a must. DUST IS BAD.
    #4. Water filter on the air is a must.
    #5. Light coats are good allowing proper time for drying between each coat.
    #6. Air pressure, Auhhh the old air pressure deal......
    Most cheap guns have the simple pattern and air pressure control. You need to have the air set for the pattern you are using. So when you are spraying around mirrors or tight places and what not ,you should adjust you pattern a bit smaller and raise the pressure this will help for the novice in cutitng down on the runs . However, when you blast the air up high and help reduce the amount of runs and increase your coverage area per sweep you get less paint on the car. Most of the paint goes air borne. Thus wasting it. Alot of it has to do with the speed of your sweeping motion too.
    ITs best to practice on some scrap metal first. Its not that hard to get the hang of.
    if you are doing it in a garage, make sure you have some ventilation and wear a respirator and cover the walls with plastic.

But I like Depdogs paint job.....Rattle can all the way. [​IMG]
    that way everytime you scratch, you pull out the repair kit (another can) zap it and roll on.

Steve Fox for President, 2004.
    Jimi Hendrix was re-incarnated in 1990 as my....JIMI
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com>http://www.nashvillek5.freeservers.com</A>