Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have you driven a Jeep lately?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by laketex, Jul 17, 2002.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

2. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

DUDE!....where is laketex...what have you done with him?! /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif i will come to texas and take back the chevy for him! be warned! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

3. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

come on down...you'd be welcome anytime!!!

Btw, i'm in process of fabbing a rear tire carrier similar to yours. Do you just never run a top or what?

...I thought that pic might ruffle a few feathers.... /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif

4. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Major shrinkage..........kinda like you doused your poor K5 in icy water /forums/images/icons/crazy.gif

5. MTPockets

MTPockets 1/2 ton status

thanks for the invite. i like the idea of narrowing the front...a lot of potential for one of a kind lighting and grill ideas. as far as the jeep thing goes...i really have no room to talk. /forums/images/icons/smirk.gif

before i left g'ville for the summer we finished the soft top half doors and windows. just haven't been able to take pics yet. they are made from 3/8" cold rolled steel rod, bent to the contours of the body. the window slides into the door like a jeep soft window and has a clear zipped window. i bought paddle latches, footman loops, and black denim vinyl from STC. so with the bikini top, windjammer rear window, and the new doors i have really good coverage and i should stay pretty comfy.

nice cage btw.

6. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

That's a good idea on the doors. I'd like to see some finished product pics... /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

And the jeep hood was an accident. We were just walking the junkyard yesterday measuring hoods and there it was. The jeep had been rolled and the hood was tweaked a little so I got it for $30 with the hinges. I'm happy with it since it fits perfect! Now to tube the frontend now that I know how much. Plus I thought the jeep hood would raise some eyebrows and I love being controversal. LOL

7. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

Is the Pringles can there for structual support??? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yeah i wasn't too sure about how sound my welding is, so I propped the hood bar on the pringles can! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

9. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

I thought of a Jeep hood also because it angles down on the sides and toward the front, glad to see someone doing it, how does it fit toward the back? any more pics? You need a stinger front bumper on that thing!

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Thanks steve, means a lot coming from you. I've just barely started, but it'll have a front pick and that radiator bar will be moved down a couple inches. Gotta find someone with a 180 degree die for the pick. It'll be fully tubed and it fits perfect at the back. Obviously, I'll have to fab some spots to mount the hinges, but the lines are nearly perfect.

I'll post more pics when I get the whole frontend done.

11. CK5

CK5 In my underwear Administrator Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

You know, I would try to fit A Jeep grill in there, I'm just bummed that I'm not the first to try this.

12. sapper

sapper 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

looks like reverse engineering....usually people put all the chevy parts under a heep, and your putting heep stuff on your chevy. i would love to be there when you take it out for the first time to see all the raised eyebrows and the wispered "what the hell" /forums/images/icons/grin.gif /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

13. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

You keep cutting, bending and welding, you ain't NEVER gonna wheel that thing. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif /forums/images/icons/smile.gif
    Looks nice slick. What's with all the tires in the back of the front clip picture?

14. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Kyle, i cant afford to take it anywhere. About to nickel and dime me to death. But I've got all these spare parts that I've been trading for so maybe one of these days i'll be able to wheel. I may like wrenching as much as wheeling!!!

All those tires are old ones that are now sold...slowly selling off junk that i'm not using. I'll be at Disney or Clayton this fall though for sure.

15. Bryan my man, have you went off the deep end? You are insane !!! Next thing you'll have a Ford grille in the thing with Toyota lights !! Get you a 2 1/2 ton duece front end for it !!

16. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

17. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Let me know when you're coming up and wheel hed over to disney. I'm sure we could round up a few more.

BTW, turn your ICQ on slick /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif