Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have you ever changed from manual pump to an electric?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by stallion85, Nov 17, 2004.

1. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Has anyone taken the fuel pump off the block of your 350 and put an electric aftermarket one on?

2. Hossbaby50

Hossbaby50 3/4 ton status

Yes, but why would you want to do it?

I converted mine because I was installing FI but if I ran a carb I would much rather have the pump in the stock spot, and use a stock pump. They can be had any place there is a parts store and are cheap. They are also not that hard to replace. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Harley

3. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Yes, but why would you want to do it?

I converted mine because I was installing FI but if I ran a carb I would much rather have the pump in the stock spot, and use a stock pump. They can be had any place there is a parts store and are cheap. They are also not that hard to replace. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

Harley

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto

4. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

I did many years ago on my 77 K10. I think I did it back in about 85 or so. I was having trouble with vapor lock.. nothing seemed to work to correct it. So, I gave up and got an electric fuel pump. That solved the problem. It finally gave out in 92 or so, and I replaced it with the same one and it was still in there when I sold it in 99. It also seemed to help a lot when climbing... it used to sputter and die if I got on the gas too much climbing something steep. After the elec. pump it seemed to keep the bowls filled enough that it was no longer a problem. It was also nice when I ran out of gas once... after I put some gas in the tank, I just had to turn the ignition to the "on" position to prime the carb.

I mounted the pump on the frame rail close to the gas tank because I thought I remember something about elec pumps being better "pushers" than "pullers". I just used a block off plate where the old pump was. It never gave me any trouble, and I'd do it again if I needed to.

5. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

IMO it's a step backwards in dependability.

If you do it keep in mind it's illegal to wire it straight to the key and it must be wired through an oil pressure switch.

6. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    it's illegal to wire it straight to the key and it must be wired through an oil pressure switch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Around here they have check points for just that. You can pull into one and if they hear that fuel pump runnin' when the engines not, you'll get a beatin' that would make Rodney King cringe!

Eric M.

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    IMO it's a step backwards in dependability.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I respect your opinion, but it's not in mine. Almost every time that I have had a standard pump fail, it did so instantly... killing the engine where it was. The last time one di that to me I was right in the middle of an intersection, turning left.. I could not have managed to block more traffic if I had tried. So, that sort throws out the "depedability" in my book. I know that an elec one can and will eventually fail too, but that's anything, nothing last forever. When my ele went out, I got some sort of warning when it did. It started to cut out, and starve under a load... but at least it would still move. However, if i still had a carbed vehicle, I would probably still use the standard if there was no other reason for switching. I simply switched becuase of a stubborn vapor leak I could not correct.

[ QUOTE ]
    If you do it keep in mind it's illegal to wire it straight to the key and it must be wired through an oil pressure switch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm... I think I just wired mine straight... it's been too long ago. When I changed it in 92 or so, I just took the old one out and re attached the new one in the old monts, so I didn't have to mess with anything else. I'm thinking it was just straight wired to the key ignition... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif Worked like a charm though. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

8. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I've been running the same electric pump on my 84 for almost 13 years. Dependable? Yup. Better overall peformance? Yup.

9. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    I've been running the same electric pump on my 84 for almost 13 years. Dependable? Yup. Better overall peformance? Yup.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all really just hard to say.

There are different designs of electric pumps and from what I understand, some are more dependable than others.

I hate to lose my mech pump, but when the EFI goes on, thats what I'm stuck with.

If you want electric, by all means, go for it. It'll certainly do the job.

10. Corey 78K5

Corey 78K5 1 ton status

I put a 92' 350 in My Blazer last month. I was forced to go with an electric fuel pump due to the fact that the block was not machined for the push rod to run a manual pump. So far it has worked good and the engine seems to run and start great.

11. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]
    it's illegal to wire it straight to the key and it must be wired through an oil pressure switch.

[/ QUOTE ]

Around here they have check points for just that. You can pull into one and if they hear that fuel pump runnin' when the engines not, you'll get a beatin' that would make Rodney King cringe!

Eric M.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really?!?! Whereabout does this happen? /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

12. stallion85

stallion85 1/2 ton status

Wow, a lot of opinions on this subject. Thanks for the insight guys. I think for now I will just stay stock as long as it fixes my current problem /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

13. jakeslim

jakeslim 1/2 ton status

my 77 k5 is manual....and takes some foot pumping to get carb/engine going

my 69 k5 is electric(thanks to those who helped here!) and is a dream. Turn key, let pump fill carb and start.

I am considering changing my 77 to electric. Remember to use a fuel regulator if carbed( I learned the hard way)

jakeslim