Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

have you ever put your intake on to realize

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Apr 2, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

that you left your ratchet & socket under it? /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif LOL - and then get so excited to see the intake on that when you go to prime it you forgot to put the oil pressure sender in so you get an old faithful effect?

2. arq

arq 1/2 ton status

yea, lol, did that on my friends car. i was pissed cause when it came time to tighten the intake i could not find the 9/16 socket and ratchet... but i had an excuse, i was on my fourth or fifth 40-ouncer...

ARQ.

3. solowookie

yea well I was sobber /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif LOL - I did the same thing started looking for my ratchet so I could take them down a bit before torqueing it.

4. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I once forgot to tighten the oil pan bolts. I got them all started and then must have went inside for a drink. Needless to say it made a helluva mess when I started it up!/forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Rene

5. UseYourBlinker

UseYourBlinker 1 ton status

Off topic but the first time a changed my oil (not on the K5) I took off the old oil filter,and forgot to put the new one on. I felt like a jackass...LOL /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

6. solowookie

well I think that's what this post is about - feeling like a jackass... /forums/images/icons/wink.gif LOL

7. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

I once ( a long time ago...) forgot the drain plug during an oil change. Nothing like having all that nice new oil draining out as you're pouring it in. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

Rene

8. donimator

donimator 1/2 ton status

We did a cam swap on our racecar motor one time. We put a nice clean rag in on the block to keep any stuff from entering the motor. Well, we got it all ready and put silcone on it any everything. Put the intake on and put some bolts in and when I went to wipe my hands down with the rag, I couldn't find it. It took us about 45min to realize what happend. we then pulled it back apart, ruining the gaskets in the process. We laughed about it then and still do now. /forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

9. FWP

FWP CRS

That is so funny, I did the same thing. But I did realize it as soon as the bolts were torqued, I looked down the distributor hole, and saw some cloth. /forums/images/icons/shocked.gif, I say WTF, oh *%#$!*&, and scramble to get the rag pulled out the hole/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

10. mudrunner78

mudrunner78 1/2 ton status

speaking of beer and motors, I got alittle drunk(ok I was wasted) and ended up leaving a beer can in one of the bores of my 396. Found it when we turned the motor over by hand to set valve lash. Man did I feel like a jackass. Jesse

11. jimmyjack

jimmyjack 1/2 ton status

#1 on my list of things NOT to do when I replace my intake this weekend. Leave the wrench under the intake. Thanks for the heads up! I'm sure I'll find something else to screw up though!!!! But I'll NEVER admit it!

12. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

Never left a ratchet under an intake, but I've done the old faithful thing. I rebuilt and installed the engine in my 72 L82, got in a rush, fired it up, and oil went everywhere ‘cause I left out the gauge fitting. High volume oil pump, jumped to about 2000 rpm idle, god what a mess...

13. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

No. Got a hot seat after sitting on a fresh weld that my buddy conviently made for me while I was grinding another section of frame.

14. MudbogAD

MudbogAD 1/2 ton status

When I was installing my shift kit, I was almost done and I found a little screen that goes on the opposite side of the separator plate. I had to remove everything again. What a pain in the A$$.

15. solowookie

yea well this gets even better /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I'm sitting in bed last night realizing that the blocking ports that are suppose to go on the rear watter passages of a TBI intake are on the front! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

well looks like I get to go purchase some new intake gaskets today & do it all over again! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

16. Quack_Addict

Quack_Addict 1/2 ton status

The starter in my`82 K5 with 6.2L died and I didn't shim the new one. The engine was airlocked (changed fuel filters too), so luckily it didn't start... when I let go of the key the starter didn't stop - the starter didn't return and kept cranking! I popped the hood to find the insulation on the battery cables literally starting to melt - with the starter still turning (luckily it was winter and I had gloves on) and ended up yanking on the pass-side battery + cable until I broke it off, stopping the starter. That's how I learned how important it is to properly shim a starter.

17. lsak5

lsak5 Registered Member

Ok, the last time I tried to adjust me Edelflock carb before getting another Q jet, the whole thing was in pieces, well I got it all put back together just fine, but forgot to hook up the fuel line on reinstall. Needless to say, when she cranked she was SMOKIN', Burned up some wiring and wiper skeet juice lines. Guess that will learn me.

18. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

I've done the put-the-intake-gaskets-on-backwards trick before. Couldn't figure out why the damn engine would get hot so quickly. This was on a TPI engine, and I discovered it after it was in the truck. Taking that all back apart was a royal PITA! /forums/images/icons/blush.gif

19. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

Ahh, I left a rag in a fan shroud on a VW beetle motor (air-cooled) and melted the better part of both aluminum cylinders on that side of the engine. Doh!

20. solowookie

got the new intake gasket on this morning - man that was a mess to clean up! /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif I put RTV on the underside of the gasket (weird gasket - called for RTV on the underside, but nowhere else).

anyway now I got little pieces of RTV in the valley - got out all I dared, but after a certain point it just seemed like I was getting more in then I was getting out. guess my oil filter will have to catch it, or the screen.