Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have you ever wrecked b/c something broke

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by protechk5, Apr 13, 2005.

1. protechk5

protechk5 1/2 ton status

How people on here has ever had anything break that caused them to wreck, like a tire blowing out or something like that. I almost died the other day when my junk turned off while going down a huge turn on a hill.

2. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I was almost killed in an airplane. I had just taken off and as I was climbing out (was at 1500-2000 ft.) had a cabin fire. NOT good. Fortunately, I was able to land while I was burning. I was badly injured and the plane was totally destroyed. I'm fine now. :waytogo:

3. mikey_d05

mikey_d05 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Last spring I was turkey hunting in Kansas, my dad and I were flying down a gravel road (they use really sharp crushed rock for gravel) and I caught a piece through the right rear tire, made a huge gash and blew it out. Went into the ditch and just about rolled it. Ended up leveling a couple of fence posts but the rancher understood, apparently the same thing had happened to him several times. That's the closest I've come to a major wreck from something breaking.

Oh yeah, the other day on the way to work my truck killed at the bottom of a large hill where I have to turn right, steering 33's without power is a bitch. Almost hit the car in the other lane.

4. gjk5

gjk5 3/4 ton status

Yeah, I used to have a 1977, get this: "Mitsubishi Fire Arrow" back in the day. :blush: I was leaving work (bartender) and was a little lit and took this curved on-ramp really fast and got it sideways and hear all this wierd racket and feel a clunk and grind to a halt off the side of the road in back of a hotel, and see my right rear tire and wheel go rolling past me. :crazy:

I get out and as I realize that the wheel spokes have broken off; a whole group of Marines in the hotel starts cheering for me from the balcony. They helped me push it to the parking lot and I drank with them until a friend came to get me.

Ahh, my younger, stupider days.

5. ryoken

ryoken Puppy Fabricator Premium Member GMOTM Winner

i did this from a blow out on a bald, N50-15 out back on my Cuda in the rain... took out a pole at about 60....

[​IMG]

6. paulmoon

paulmoon 1/2 ton status

Not myself, but my wife rolled our Jeep Wagoneer 2 1/2 times in the freeway when the rear axle bearing let loose. The wheel and axle came out and wedged in the wheelwell and she hit the dirt median side ways. The kiddies were in the their carseats, everyone was belted in. A few bruises only. Can't say the jeep was OK. :grin:
    I hit the wall racing a 125cc speedway kart (dirt oval) when the engine stuck and locked up the wheels. But that doesn't count... :blush:

7. txfiremank5

txfiremank5 1/2 ton status

My first wreck, was when my brakes went out.... if that counts. I pumped 'em ... I stood on 'em ... all the while approaching the back of a car stopped ahead of me.. with nowhere to go but into on comming traffic.

Finally the the left rear locked up, and I went sideways .. hardly touched the car in front of me with my rt. rear 1/4 panel .. but tore the guy going the other way a new a-hole.. :blush: :crazy: Worst part.. he was just coming back from the body shop... after his car had been repaired from another accident. I scooped out the whole driverside of that car.. there was trim sticking into his rear tire ... flopping around as he limped it over into a parking lot.... it was a mess. My dad owned a mechanic shop about a block away.. and I was hooked up to a wrecker before the cop had the report half done. I think that added to the other guys misery .. I think he would have killed me if he thought he could have gotten away with it. No telling how long he had to wait.

8. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

One of the first times I had my truck out after I had painted it, I was driving it around and could hear a scraping noise, I thought nothing of it, just figured my brake pads were going bad, well i was accutally losing lug nuts off the driverside front tire, it eventually broke off the last stud, and droped down onto the 4x4 hub, and thats when I felt it and pulled over, it scared the living hell out of me

9. kennyw

kennyw N9PHW Premium Member

My first accident when I was 16 or 17 was due to poor brakes (internal leak in MC), bald front tires and a little patch of ice on the roads leaving school one day. Hit another kid from my class at about 15-20 MPH with my crewcab F250. Not much damage to either vehicle in that one though.

One other time I had spent a couple months putting a new clutch and transaxle into a mid 80's Cavalier. Took it for a test drive and was hearing a clunking noise. First thought was bad CV joints so I turned around and headed back on the freeway... lost the drivers front tire going about 60 MPH and it bounced into heavy traffic going the other way (Sunday afternoon with everyone heading back into Minneapolis from up North). Did about $2500+ in damage to a 1992 Plymouth Voyager. :doah:

10. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

:haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: :haha: TOO FUNNY. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 professional hooker Premium Member

i had a close one. :shocked: just got my new front parts in the 60 and put lugs on with the ir thunder gun. then i had remembered that this was to tight. so i hit them back just a bit and was going to hand tourqe them. but as we all know somthing else came up.:whistle:

when down the road threw town and stoped at friends house talked a bit. then left to go to other friends house. got 3 city blocks from his house and felt this big thump thump thump in left frt area.:eek: stoped and found 1 nut on the stud by 3-4 threads.:ignore: got out wrench and tightened up best possible and limped it in to his place. and fixed it.:cool:
    funny thing tho was the whole trip i every so often heard a thoing in the fender area.:ears: ( da the lug nuts coming off ):haha: :rotfl: :rotfl: :screwy: then other friend showed up and said what you doing?:confused: i said dont ask:mad: . i am fixing my bo bo.;) he said i saw a few lug nuts in the road on the way over and was looking for a vehicle minus a tire but didnt find it till now. :D

12. boggerless

boggerless 1 ton status Premium Member

i had a 74 monte carlo. it was pretty nice looking so i put a cam and manfold in it, headers and stuff.i was 18 and had to have big rear tires so i got the g 50 15's.about 31inces tall and 15 inches wide.the best part was how i made them not rub. i took these coil springs they made for pick ups to hold weight and compressed them with 4 visegrips. then took the new shocks and extended them all the way out. :confused: bolted on the spring clamps and released the vise grips. WALA instant 4 inches. :rotfl: anyway for the wreck part, it had a bench seat and i wanted buckets.i bolted in the buckets as bast i could living in an apartment.one and a half bolts on the drivers side and two on the passenger side. i went to my cousins house who had a 79 camaro our uncle built for him to race. we wanted beer so i said lets take mine so you can feel the cam. he wanted to take his so we decided to race to the store.i turned a corner and the seat broke off, i ended up going through the side of a friends parents house. :blush: UGLY :laugh:

13. TorkDSR

TorkDSR 1/2 ton status

my spotter broke early last year and i drove into the garage.
    "you got it" :screwy:

i lost 3 spindles on my 1/2 tons and always managed to cruise off the side of the road, under a shady tree, in nice weather. my truck loves me

14. k5gypsy

k5gypsy Registered Member

Not a wreck, but kinda funny... My son and I were going over to my folks house one afternoon. Almost there, started feeling sone vibration. I thought damn, another U-joint (I had just replaced one)... Anyway... starting to turn into the folks driveway, the boy says, "look daddy, there's a tire going down the road!" What a trip, I thought.... As we stop in the driveway, the blazer leans backward and we're looking at my folks roof. 4 studs and a new rim later.... :crazy: