Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

have you ever?

Discussion in 'Audio' started by balzer, Aug 5, 2000.

1. balzer

balzer Registered Member

i was wanting to know if anybody has run 2 4-ohm subs bridged on a regular amp, making it run beyond its impedence level, rather than 2 4-ohm stereo or 2 8-ohm bridged. i wasnt planning on it, just wanting to know, i heard it will make you amp work alot harder and might overheat and shutdown.
    thanx

2. CrazeeBush

CrazeeBush 1/2 ton status

I have 2 4 ohms subs wired in parallel to make a 2 Ohm load. My amp is designed to handle a 2 Ohm mono load so it's safe. If you do that, you better put some fans on it. Also some amp won't allow you to drop impedance that low.

-JoSH
    crazeebush@aol.com
    http://josh.coloradok5.com

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

One of the things you want to consider when ever you run a lower ohm load is Dampening Facter. That is basically the control your amp has of your woofer. The lower the ohm load, the lower the dampening factor the less controle over your woofer, all adds up to distortion and distortion is a woofer killer and an amp killer.

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. AtlassII . Spray in liner.

4. '73 K5

'73 K5 1/2 ton status

I've done it on amps that don't recommend it. High quality amps. And I've never had a problem. It depends what kind you have. Brand, model, age???

'73 K5
    Chevy good...Ford bad

5. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Theres one of my friends here that has 2 massive 15's on a 600legacy amp (older model) down to 1 ohm...he can push his speakers for about 10minutes before the amp gets really hot. Sounds okay, but when he has beer back there it gets them really hot and sweaty. [​IMG]

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    http://82Jimmy.coloradok5.com

6. WakeBoard&4X4er

WakeBoard&4X4er 1/2 ton status

I have done that with $H!#Y amps, If you run a big power wire and have some air flow you will be ok.
    I have ran 3 4-ohm subs on a old @$$ JVC before, that died after 9 months. But if you have a half way good amp you will be ok.