Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

Have you guys heard of "Flowtech" headers?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 72Blazerod, Sep 19, 2002.

1. 72Blazerod

72Blazerod 1/2 ton status

Have you guys heard of \"Flowtech\" headers?

I have found an add in my local paper for brand new Flowtech headers that fit my 1972 with a 4 spd. Now I don't see headers that fit my truck all that often, so I was wondering if these things were any good? Or should I just take a pass?

Rod

2. backyardbuilt

backyardbuilt 1/2 ton status

Re: Have you guys heard of \"Flowtech\" headers?

They are decent headers they are 80$ brand new at advanced auto I have them on my truck and camaro been on the camaro for 8 years and the truck for 3 I like them and they work well.

3. chulisohombre

chulisohombre 1/2 ton status

i have them on my 72 .like others said 80 dollars brand new.on my truck they are too long and the shackles hit when flexing.ive almost rubbed a hole in mine.your best bet is to get some block hugger headers and rerun the exaust pipes to fit.the ones i got are supposed to be for trucks but i dont see it as they dont fit right.i also had to modify the clutch linkage to fit them in.

4. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

Ya, ive had em b4, they are only 69.00 here and are the cheapest sold, also very poor quality, we put a straight edge on em for shits-n-giggles, they were as straight as a jigsaw line cut after 1/5 of Jack Daniels /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

Id run Cambell's soup cans before Id run those again, a gasket a day keeps the cop away /forums/images/icons/grin.gif

5. Russell Keys

Russell Keys 1/2 ton status

I've had a set for about 5 years and havent had a prob at all. Not even with the gaskets, although I had the exhaust guy weld the pipe to the collector to avoid the gasket failure. They're nice because of the price and most auto parts will stock them. And as far as quality just be sure that you lay a straight edge down the flanges before you waste your time with a warped set. We made that mistake with a set of Hedman's a while back. Looks like the guy with the jigsaw and Jack got a job at Hedman!

6. TWISTEDJACK

TWISTEDJACK 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

They are just like the Dynomax headers I have now. Cheap,
    the metal is too thin, they will crack. Plus mine hit the
    shackle bolts when I flex it. I am going to get the block huggers or some shorter Heddman's. Save your money and buy the good ones. My $.02.

7. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

I had some on an '86 shorty K10 once. NEVER AGAIN!!! /forums/images/icons/mad.gif

They hit the shackles badly and would not fit all the way on because of the interferance. I tried to make them fit and clear by bending the tubes with a pry bar. Evidently I bent them too far and the metal was too thin as it warped the mounting flange up on the heads. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

So, to make a long story short, I basically threw away $75 right then and there. /forums/images/icons/tongue.gif

I went back to the parts store and ordered some Hedman Hedders. Those fit like a glove! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

8. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

I have them on now..Less the 8 months old and a I am on my third set of gaskets.. They are a pain in the arse to change spark plugs to..I will never buy cheap headers again..

9. 72THING

72THING 1/2 ton status

I have Flowtech headers, too. The only reason I bought them is because I broke one of my stock ram's horn manifolds and the junkyard wanted $35 for one that was in bad condition. It was just as easy to get headers. I wouldn't buy them again because the flanges are too thin and like everybody else said, it's a pain to keep replacing gaskets. I even have the "dead soft" aluminum reusable gaskets on the collectors and they still leak because the flanges bent. I would get a good quality set of headers unless the price of the ones in your local paper are dirt cheap. My next set will probably be Hedman Elite.

Will

10. ColAdo82K5

ColAdo82K5 1/2 ton status

hey,
    I have them for 2 years now. still have the cheap gaskets they came with and they still work. Mine just started to hit the shackle after i put new bushings and such on my springs and frame shackle hole. But for $79 at autozone in stock..it's not bad. I'm planning on trying to bend them a little bit in the future. Spark plug access is great except #6 is a bit hard.
    Blake

11. mitymouse

mitymouse Registered Member

I have had several inconsitences with these some fit well others very poor, they all have had a very thin wall, and are only avil. in 1 5/8 inch primary I belive. Have you tried to see if hooker offers a set, I have had nothing but good luck with there super comps. untill I had to build my own.

12. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

I have not used the regualar Flowtech headers, but when NoAngel (Michelle) bought her blazer, the guy threw in a set of Flowtech "AfterBurner" headers for free. I just put them on my 78 K10 /forums/images/icons/grin.gif due to the original Hookers rusting out, and these things were pretty stout (Very THICK flanges by the head and at the collector, and the tubes seems thick too). The ONLY complaint I had was that the passenger's side came really close to the top shackle bolt. I trimmed about 1/2-3/4" off the bolt (as it was excess) and now how about 3/4-1" worth of room (not alot but enough with poly engine and t-case mounts that I have). They are stout, but they are $240 through Summit.