Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

have you guys heard of wheel spacers breaking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by solowookie, Jan 3, 2002.

1. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

when they were made out of air craft grade allum. or better???

I got a bunch of old farts over at stovebolt.com that have decided that wheel spacers are from the devil. It seems there are more people here that would run them (the lifted 4x4 groups) then anywhere else.

as long as they are made of the right materials the only concerns that I have ever seen mentioned on this site is the stress it would put on the axle???

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

2. 3car

3car 1/2 ton status

i had( 2) 1/4"spacers on each side of my rearend(mr.gasket brand)for years with no problems.you cant let the lugs get loose,but that would be bad with or without spacers.i put a 68'dana 60 in an 88 k_1500 and it was 1.5"narrower.spacers worked fine.

eatin'fords and shittin'dodges down in the sunshine state.

3. txbartman

txbartman 1/2 ton status

I run the 1.5" aluminum spacers that are on the product review page. I believe they are made from billet aluminum. Check out the review and the website. It has a lot of good info. And, feel free to call them. They are very knowledgeable. I have been pleased with mine. Rig looks much better. While a wider rear end may hurt turning radius, I am locked up front. So, I have no turning radius!

It will put additional leverage and pressure on the axle seals, but that is the only true negative I have come up with so far. But, this is one item I wouldn't skimp on. Don't go cheap, get the best you can afford.

Brian
    Check out <a target="_blank" href=http://tx85gmcguy.alloffroad.com>My Jimmy</a> with all her projects!

4. solowookie

solowookie 1/2 ton status

yea, I got 1 3/4" spacers on the rear of Jedi Mind Trick, and I've never had any problems with them... I know we've got to be putting a lot more stress &amp; pressure on these things then most groups of people.

<font color=blue> Jeff - may the force be with you</font color=blue>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Jeffs-Stuff>link to k5's</a>

5. EZdoesit

EZdoesit Registered Member

I don't see any reason why they would break more readily than any other part on a vehicle, especially if they are made from billet aluminum which is as at least as strong as most aluminum wheels.

That goes for the good kind of spacers that actually bolt on and have a second set of lugs, maybe the farts on stovebolt.com were thinking of the stack on type spacers which in that case I would agree are sent from the devil. :)

As for extra stress on the axle bearings I would say any difference would be negligible, a 10 bolt rearend will fail because it's built to light for big tires and big engines, not because the wheel is slightly further outboard.

87 K5 "rusty but trusty"

6. mpascino

mpascino 1/2 ton status

I am gonna be putting a dually rear on my burban and was thinking of putting 2 inch spacers up front to hopefully allow me to run bud wheels up front. The stregth is my only worry though.

The jeep eater ......[​IMG]